First 123412 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Regardless of what he said, this is why I don't drink bottled water.
    Why is that?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't believe access to treated water should be a human right, but access to untreated water? Absolutely. It's also a society's obligation to make sure that companies, like Nestle, don't pollute the water supply because this goes both ways.

I can't watch the video, but I hope he isn't trying to make a similar argument to Coca Cola, who has gone into nations like India and monopolized local water supplies at the expense of the residents.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't believe access to treated water should be a human right, but access to untreated water? Absolutely. It's also a society's obligation to make sure that companies, like Nestle, don't pollute the water supply because this goes both ways.

I can't watch the video, but I hope he isn't trying to make a similar argument to Coca Cola, who has gone into nations like India and monopolized local water supplies at the expense of the residents.
    You are also assuming.

How does the average person treat the water supply?

The average person takes it for granted.

The average person is a water waster.

The average person expends clean water on things that don't involve human survival. Poriferan assumed that all water is used for drinking.

If you want to call it "monopolizing," that's fine, as long as the result is beneficent. As long as the result is dispensing clean water for non-wasteful purposes, thus teaching the average person that clean water is not an infinite resource to take for granted.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The average person expends clean water on things that don't involve human survival. Poriferan assumed that all water is used for drinking.
    Wow. I said that the absence of water will kill a human being, which is about as closed to a scientific fact as you'll get. That statement is not even close to stating that all water is used for drinking.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You are also assuming.

How does the average person treat the water supply?

The average person takes it for granted.

The average person is a water waster.

If you want to call it "monopolizing," that's fine, as long as the result is beneficent. As long as the result is dispensing clean water for non-wasteful purposes, thus teaching the average person that clean water is not an infinite resource to take for granted.
    The average person takes it for granted? Where? In the US? Sure. In India, Somalia, China? You better check your facts there buddy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, what do we mean by treated? I would prefer the word potable.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Why is that?
    Because I don't believe in the privatization of water? If that would make everything awesome, do you like dealing with your cable company? I work at a large company, and I assure you, we are as inefficient as any government.

The response is usually something along the lines of the fact that we aren't living in a true free-market society. This reminds me of how Marxists say that true Communism has never been implemented. ("No true scotsman", I suppose.)

Marxism and libertarianism have a lot in common. The assumption that things would suddenly become more efficient and logical if we were to privatize everything is likely to turn out as well as the dictatorship of the proletariat.

I understand why Marxism and libertarianism are attractive to NTs, because they suggest that if a system were implemented, all problems would go away.

That doesn't make them useful in the actual world. They're the political equivalent of a blueprint for a really cool spaceship that can't actually fly, at best.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, what do we mean by treated? I would prefer the word potable.
    Sure, potable is probably a better word. Making water potable costs money. People shouldn't have a right to that. But people should at least have access to water they could sterilize, themselves.

Our tap water back at home isn't potable. We have to boil and filter it ourselves. We'd get seriously sick if we didn't.

I still feel surprised when see people buying crates of bottled water here in the US. Why? The tap water is JUST FINE here. It seems really bizarre to me.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The average person takes it for granted? Where? In the US? Sure. In India, Somalia, China? You better check your facts there buddy.
    Why, howdy there buddy, I didn't know we were such close friends already!

Brabek points out that fresh water is being wasted in some parts of the globe, while other parts don't have the infrastructure to support a clean water supply.

He is actually taking the more developed countries to task for being wasteful while other countries suffer.

As for monopolizing the water supply, governments have failed to supply their citizens with an adequate water supply, so its just as well that corporations take over. They will do a better job.