User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

An amendment to the Farm bill that proposed to institute work requirements for food stamp recipients sunk the bill.

What's wrong with work requirements.

I think that outside of disability benefits (where work is impossible) and benefits for children that all government benefits should have a work requirement.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Um ... you lose your job and apply for food stamps, and they tell you to go to work?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The more financial aid requires the recipient to be making money, the more pointless it is.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    An amendment to the Farm bill that proposed to institute work requirements for food stamp recipients sunk the bill.

I think that outside of disability benefits (where work is impossible) and benefits for children that all government benefits should have a work requirement.
    Is the public sector going to provide employment? Sounds rather Rooseveltian. I'd be very surprised if you were in favor of that.

If it's the private sector, if they aren't hiring anyway, how does that work? Presumably, if you had a job you wouldn't need food stamps.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Nothing, as long as:

1. There are jobs available

2. The person has transportation to get to the job

3. If the person has children, there is child care available and cost is subsidized, or paycheck is enough to cover it

4. The person actually comes out ahead financially by working rather than not.

Too often, people on assistance are kept out of jobs by the cost of child care, or the inability to make up for the medical insurance that would be lost if the employer doesn't offer it. This last might get some relief under the Affordable Care Act, but it remains to be seen how that will play out.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

If the US can even feed its unemployed then China really is nation no. 1

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Nothing, as long as:

1. There are jobs available

2. The person has transportation to get to the job

3. If the person has children, there is child care available and cost is subsidized, or paycheck is enough to cover it

4. The person actually comes out ahead financially by working rather than not.

Too often, people on assistance are kept out of jobs by the cost of child care, or the inability to make up for the medical insurance that would be lost if the employer doesn't offer it. This last might get some relief under the Affordable Care Act, but it remains to be seen how that will play out.
    This is a fantastic argument if your only goal is to expand entitlements regardless of economic circumstances.

The growth of SNAP over the last decade is ridiculous even when considering the effects of the downturn.

At what point do the right's of middle class Americans to take home a percentage of their pay reflective of the amount of work they put in outweigh the needs of the poor to be catered to from cradle to grave?

Our government should not be obliged to help those unwilling to help themselves.

The way our entitlement system currently works, people are better off not working and taking expanded benefits than they would if they tried to lift themselves out of poverty with a job.

Does that make any sense to you?

Does the abuse of the system bother you?

Do you want everyone's taxes to go to those unwilling to take even the smallest steps in supporting themselves?

Do you not recognize how desperately we need entitlement reform?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

At what point do the right's of middle class Americans to take home a percentage of their pay reflective of the amount of work they put in outweigh the needs of the poor to be catered to from cradle to grave?

Our government should not be obliged to help those unwilling to help themselves.

The way our entitlement system currently works, people are better off not working and taking expanded benefits than they would if they tried to lift themselves out of poverty with a job.

Does that make any sense to you?

Does the abuse of the system bother you?

Do you want everyone's taxes to go to those unwilling to take even the smallest steps in supporting themselves?

Do you not recognize how desperately we need entitlement reform?
    I am agreeing with you here. People should be able to better themselves by working, not fall further into an economic hole. But benefit distribution is often all-or-nothing: if you aren't working, you get a broad spectrum of benefits. If you get a job, it ALL goes away, even the one or two things (like child care, for instance) that make it possible for you to work. This is short-sighted and wasteful of resources.

Abuse of the system bothers me. The absence of any public assistance for the needy would bother me more. I want the lazy and unwilling to have at least the rudimentary provisions made available to convicted felons. I also want to minimize how much children suffer due to the poor choices or simple bad luck of their parents.

The right of anyone to take home remuneration reflective of their work is meaningless until we can correctly determine the worth of what everyone does. I doubt that is even possible. This is a great and pervasive and often unfortunate example of how life is not fair.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I want the lazy and unwilling to have at least the rudimentary provisions made available to convicted felons.
    Why?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The more financial aid requires the recipient to be making money, the more pointless it is.
    How?

Should we subsidize the laziness of the poor?