User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 172

  1. #51
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    You won't bait me into insulting you. However, I suggest you learn about what really exists in the world. Welfare cheese isn't one of those things, and it hasn't existed for about two decades, and making reference to it makes you look old and/or ignorant, not "funny" or "sarcastic."

    My actual, non-academic memory of "welfare cheese" ended sometime before middle school, seeing it in the grocery store, and remembering it as something akin to Velveeta (some garbage that is not cheese that people actually pay money for).

    Yes, I am one of those people who say "um no please no 'American cheese' on my veggie burger, real cheddar please."

    Things we share in common with the Soviet Union: government manufactured products. And under Republicans, no less.

  2. #52
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Assuming you're my age. I guess if you're younger...well no it's not. If you're younger, the reference to welfare cheese is absurd and doesn't even make sense, so you must be about my age or older.

    I am a fair deal younger than you. As Wikipedia stated, that term has passed into the lexicon of rhetoric. Government cheese is not government cheese. You simply have the (unfortunate?) circumstance of existing whilst its usage had literal conceptual relevance, and you don't want to see its context stripped from you (I can only presume).


    Do you feel that America has a large perceptual fear of of the black "welfare queen" stereotype? This is what I jest over. I am sorry if you cannot appreciate the social underpinnings I intend to illuminate, but I do not feel this is any problem sourced within myself.


    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You won't bait me into insulting you.

    It is too late for that, during this short exchange you have explicitly asserted your intellectual dominion over me no fewer than three times. I do not feel I solicited the comments with warrant. I understand your character, though, and the words have been received with no ill intent.

  3. #53
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I am a fair deal younger than you. As Wikipedia stated, that term has passed into the lexicon of rhetoric. Government cheese is not government cheese. You simply have the (unfortunate?) circumstance of existing whilst its usage had literal conceptual relevance, and you don't want to see its context stripped from you (I can only presume).


    Do you feel that America has a large perceptual fear of of the black "welfare queen" stereotype? This is what I jest over. I am sorry if you cannot appreciate the social underpinnings I intend to illuminate, but I do not feel this is any problem sourced within myself.





    It is too late for that, during this short exchange you have explicitly asserted your intellectual dominion over me no fewer than three times. I do not feel I solicited the comments with warrant. I understand your character, though, and the words have been received with no ill intent.
    I was an English major. I made straight A's. Your usage of "big" words doesn't make your racism and ignorant, outdated references any less prehistoric.

    If there's anyone who can't be fooled by ambitiously pretentious vocabulary, it's an almost English teacher.

    Oh, great, Wikipedia validates you as making a pop-culture reference used among 60-70 year old Republicans who remember welfare cheese far more clearly than I do.

    I'm only in my 30s. You're not a "fair deal" younger than me, you're just trying to hide the fact that you're mimicking your grandpa blindly with these welfare cheese and welfare queen comments that made more sense in 1985.

    Better change your type back to ISTJ. Good lord you scream Si. The stuff you're saying doesn't even make sense, and it's only pathetically socially relevant in context of old people who remember something in a sort of fantastical way that never really happened.

  4. #54
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I was an English major. I made straight A's. Your usage of "big" words doesn't make your racism and ignorant, outdated references any less prehistoric.

    Oh, great, Wikipedia validates you as making a pop-culture reference used among 60-70 year old Republicans who remember welfare cheese far more clearly than I do.

    I'm only in my 30s. You're not a "fair deal" younger than me, you're just trying to hide the fact that you're mimicking your grandpa blindly with these welfare cheese and welfare queen comments that made more sense in 1985.

    Better change your type back to ISTJ. Good lord you scream Si. The stuff your saying doesn't even make sense, and it's only pathetically relevant in context of old people who remember something in a sort of fantastical way that never really happened.

    I picked the reference of government cheese feeding Rasheda up earlier today (the entire quip was almost stolen word for word) by a 23 year old African-American (from Nigeria, not just black) lawyer who blogs about social studies in America. Perhaps the idiom is more common among the youth than you'd prefer to think.


    Also, you are willingly ignorant if you think the welfare queen stereotype is still not prevalent in society today - but you idolize southern living, so.... lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown
    I picked the reference of government cheese feeding Rasheda up earlier today (the entire quip was almost stolen word for word) by a 23 year old African-American (from Nigeria, not just black) lawyer who blogs about social studies in America.

    *insert 'oh you read a black guy's blog and now you're not racist' comment here*

  5. #55
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I picked the reference of government cheese feeding Rasheda up earlier today (the entire quip was almost stolen word for word) by a 23 year old African-American (from Nigeria, not just black) lawyer who blogs about social studies in America. Perhaps the idiom is more common among the youth than you'd prefer to think.


    Also, you are willingly ignorant if you think the welfare queen stereotype is still not prevalent in society today - but you idolize southern living, so.... lol.





    *insert 'oh you read a black guy's blog and now you're not racist' comment here*
    Well, at least you admit all of the things you say are stolen and make no actual relevant sense in the here and now.

    Everything you're saying is a symbolic mish-mash of believing the symbolic was what was real (practically repeating Reagan years word for word)...this is Jungian Si at it's worst.

    And I have nothing against Si, but this is just bad Si. Completely subconscious, unintelligent, stream-of-consciousness Si you're displaying here.

    You're welcome.

    P.S. did it ever occur to you that your Nigerian friend was saying these things because he was trying to fit in with conservative Americans? Foreign people do this A LOT; just like you might if you went to live in another country and wanted to belong there and prescribe to their perceived values.

    P.P.S. at 23, you're not exactly "youth" anymore

  6. #56
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Well, at least you admit all of the things you say are stolen and make no actual relevant sense in the here and now.

    Everything you're saying is a symbolic mish-mash of believing the symbolic was what was real (practically repeating Reagan years word for word)...this is Jungian Si at it's worst.

    And I have nothing against Si, but this is just bad Si. Completely subconscious, unintelligent, stream-of-consciousness Si you're displaying here.

    You're welcome.

    P.S. did it ever occur to you that your Nigerian friend was saying these things because he was trying to fit in with conservative Americans?

    P.P.S. at 23, you're not exactly "youth" anymore

    WHAT. Fit in?


    Do you understand anything about what is going on in this conversation? I am completely baffled beyond any sense of reason.

  7. #57
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    @Marmotini


    I can't write on your wall.


    I said "the highest return per dollar", not "we spend the most on this program."


    We make more money off of food stamps per dollar invested than any other program under the government's umbrella. I didn't read the rest, after noticing this, I found it irrelevant.

  8. #58
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I am a fair deal younger than you. As Wikipedia stated, that term has passed into the lexicon of rhetoric. Government cheese is not government cheese. You simply have the (unfortunate?) circumstance of existing whilst its usage had literal conceptual relevance, and you don't want to see its context stripped from you (I can only presume).


    Do you feel that America has a large perceptual fear of of the black "welfare queen" stereotype? This is what I jest over.
    This definitely exists still, even if people don't use the term "'welfare queen". I don't see how pointing out that people think this way is racist. Quite the opposite, actually.

    I'm not sure how satirizing the racial element of criticism of "government handouts" is racist. It exists. He didn't seem to be agreeing with it; it was obviously sarcastic. You can't even use food stamps to buy anything other than food, but people still have this fear anyway. (Food stamps is an antiquated term, by the way, today, SNAP is administered through an EBT card. At least, that's how it works in Pennsylvania and Delaware.) An EBT card is not an ATM card that you can just get cash out of.

    I mean, it's interesting that things like food stamps and welfare get slashed, but no one dare touch Medicare and social security (even billionaires can get social security, as far as I know!). This is because there's a perception that exists that the people using the former are minorities scamming the system, and the latter is ma and pa, or increasingly, boomers themselves. I don't think that's right or fair, but that doesn't change the fact that people think this way.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  9. #59
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Recently I saw something that 1 in 5 American children are living in malnutrition. That's insane in the land of the fat people. I'm pretty sure French children are well fed. Why? Because I trust the French government more. This government is too ruled by big business.

    And while the upper middle class white male libertarians, sitting there as college grads and professionals with master's degrees who have never known a real minute of suffering in their lives complain about their freedom, and worry about the American government taking away their right to own a recreational hand gun, I worry about the Nestle corporation taking over the world, because that's who we're really going to go to war with.
    This is right on the money, no pun intended, especially the part about Nestle. If I recall correctly, they were pushing their powdered infant formula in African nations where water quality was poor, resulting in sickness and death for infants who could easily have been breastfed at much lower cost, greater convenience, and greater safety. We do need to worry about our freedom, though, in the same way that women had to worry about getting the right to vote. No vote = no voice; and no freedom means no capacity to challenge stupid decisions like this one, or greedy corporations like Nestle.

    The exchange starting below is just a distraction from the main and far more important topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Still one of the highest returns per the dollar America can spend.

    As long as Rashanda can't spend that gov't cheese on crack instead of feedin' her babies though, amirite....
    There's no such thing as government cheese anymore, you person you (see I'm trying really hard not to get banned!!??)...that hasn't existed since the 1980s.

    There was more American "communism" under Reagan. I can't believe so many people are so uneducated. Clinton, A DEMOCRAT, reformed welfare, and created welfare-to-work.

    Now people receiving welfare give money to private food business.
    I'm older than even you (Marm). I remember the cheese, and Reagan, and the rest, but I can still see the point superunknown is trying to make. Black welfare queens, or even poor white "trailer trash" become the stuff of legends, while millions of families quietly using food stamps/SNAP to make ends meet go unnoticed. Yes, the system works reasonably well at the point of sale to ensure only appropriate items are purchased, but this doesn't account for any black market trading or similar misuse. As others have already mentioned, however, I would prefer to see a few people game the system than many, especially children, go without.

    As for Reagan communism and Clinton welfare reform, this kind of ideological lag is an interesting phenomenon. Sometimes one side pushes for something new or controversial, but even with their own party in power, can't get it implemented. Fast foward a few years and the idea has garnered enough public support that even the opposite party will get on board with it. Notice, for instance, that the first female supreme court justice was appointed by Reagan, not a progressive/Democrat. And in Iran even, female university attendance increased after the revolution and the imposition of theocracy. Why? Because the conservative families in rural areas now felt safe in sending their daughters to university, since the government was conservative, and no longer pushing western ways.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  10. #60
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    And yet where are the cuts to corporate welfare! Which has at times cost the taxpayers twice as much as the entire social welfare system. It's sick.
    There is a certain misconception about corporate welfare that the government hands out funds to corporations without expecting anything in return. The reality is that transnational corporations lobby the government every four years and in 94% of American presidential elections, the candidate who raised the most money from corporate lobbyists won. Corporations lobby the government not only to revamp certain laws that oppose their interests (for example, environmental protection laws or financial responsibility laws that prevented them from engaging in reckless speculations that led to the 2008 Financial crisis) but also to increase the possibility that they may get some of their money back when they need it the most. For example, Wal-Mart is booming now and it would be wise of them to offer munificent financial support to both parties in 2016 because if they do, the winner will not only remove many legal or political obstacles to their growth, but he may actually return some of Wal-Mart's funds if the enterprise begins struggling. The politicians would want us to believe that they support only the companies that seem very likely to succeed and lead to job growth in the economy, but I think the opposite is probably closer to the truth. There is no reason for the government to help the prospering corporations: those companies already have all the money they'd need to have to keep on lobbying the government. However, it is certainly in the best interest of the government to sponsor erstwhile corporate giants who are in danger of dwindling or going out of business: that way, the government will increase the chances that the dwindling company will recover and keep on lobbying in the future.

    From the standpoint of the bureaucrats and transnational corporate executives (who are in many ways one and the same, it's not uncommon for leaders of transnational corporations to become politicians or vice-versa) this move makes perfect sense: it preserves the capital of the richest 1% of the country who have real power in this country. However, this does not make any sense from the standpoint of ordinary people: if you sponsor a struggling company, there is a considerable chance that it will die out anyways and contribute nothing to the economy and the elites could care less about that: in the worst case scenario, they just lose one source of funds, but it is still worth a try to rescue because if the rescuing plan fails, ordinary people will be impacted by the consequences a lot more than the elites.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. how to get super spicy food in Thai restaurants?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2016, 06:22 AM
  2. How did you get the politics you did
    By Zergling in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-21-2016, 06:06 PM
  3. More Americans Added to Food Stamps Than Find Jobs
    By Zarathustra in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 10:27 PM
  4. USA States With High Unemployment Outsourcing Food Stamp Services
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO