User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Just how poor do you have to be to qualify for this program? I ask because 47 million people equates to more than 1 in 10 people in the United States. That's a lot of people.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Just how poor do you have to be to qualify for this program? I ask because 47 million people equates to more than 1 in 10 people in the United States. That's a lot of people.
    SNP eligibility: http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applica...ligibility.htm

Boils down to being below or at poverty line, without significant assets. In 2010, 15% of all people in the US lived in poverty, and 22% of children.

Remember that the US has a 7.5% unemployment rate, and that only includes people actively looking for work, and doesn't count those that are underemployed. The labor participation rate of 25 to 54 year olds is estimated at just above 80% (goes down as people retire or can otherwise no longer work, of course).

Wow.

That's a lot of dirt-frickin'-poor people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    How do you know it isn't?
    There was no reference and the figures displayed were all absolute numbers without qualification, so I assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Did you get that image from this site? I went looking around a bit and could not find the precisely what you were referring to and I barely scraped the huge amount of data there.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Keep loosing more factories and exporting all the jobs to china and voila, your dept to gdp will skyrocked like hell. also looking at GDP per capita alone isnt a very good idea if you take into consideration the fact that USA has very high difference on incomes between the poor and the rich..
    I'm well aware of the significance of income inequality and how high it is in the USA. GDP per capita is also important however, and I prefer a measure that puts the two together. A crude method is too divide the GDP PC by the Gini index. Anyhow, what's more important is that everything I said in relation to debt and deficits still stands.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Anyhow, what's more important is that everything I said in relation to debt and deficits still stands.
    I don't see how the US has no deficit.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/federal_budget_fy13

That's a deficit of ~6-7% of GDP.

MBTI
    XXFP

It seems people can and do abuse the food stamp system by trading their food stamps in a sort of underground economy.

I'm still not sure if this is worth the spending cut rather than working some sort of security or limited transferability into the the system. EDIT: well that only does so good for the type of abuse...

EDIT 2: Supposedly the SNAP program costs $76 billion a year and while there are notable incidents of fraud less than 1% (figures vary) are assumed to/proven go toward fraud. Still a lot of fraud, but that's pretty good overall.

What else is in the farm bill anyway? Any subsidies to reduce food costs to make up for this...?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

THROW THE WEAK INTO THE MAW OF NATURAL SELECTION

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Sadly, it has become common for such cuts to coincide with economic crisis. There's an absurd logic to it, the logic of austerity. In practical effect, austerity always seems to amount to pouring vinegar on a wound.

Of course, corporations keep pulling in those record profits!

This is just piece of the USA's general descent into some sort of plutocracy.

As an aside, kudos to Gillibrand's efforts. She has gradually been impressing me.
    Stalin was a thief, too. But he only stole from the rich.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Recently I saw something that 1 in 5 American children are living in malnutrition. That's insane in the land of the fat people. I'm pretty sure French children are well fed. Why? Because I trust the French government more. This government is too ruled by big business.

And while the upper middle class white male libertarians, sitting there as college grads and professionals with master's degrees who have never known a real minute of suffering in their lives complain about their freedom, and worry about the American government taking away their right to own a recreational hand gun, I worry about the Nestle corporation taking over the world, because that's who we're really going to go to war with.

Anyone touches the water or the food of disabled people, I WILL KILL THEM. I doubt there's anyone on this forum who won't believe me.