User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Results 131 to 140 of 172

  1. #131
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There are alternatives to the food stamps idea, what if a government decided to take shares in or subsidise bakeries, butchers or fish mongers so everyone could have as much meat, loaves and fishes as they wanted?

    The water in my part of the world, despite the capitalist pirates trying to plunder and pillage that particular part of the public sector for some time, is provided by a government provider and no one fills their bath tubs or seeks to hoard it in any way or drink it excessively.
    Socialism is a non starter. We will not allow the gov't to take over the food service industry.

  2. #132
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Socialism is a non starter. We will not allow the gov't to take over the food service industry.
    Yeah, you'd just rather starve. You win.

  3. #133
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, I figured that'd be your view, I hope you're always fortunate enough not to have to live in the manner you so easily recommend to others.
    I don't recommend it. I would prefer that they go cure cancer, or start a landscaping business, or find music, or be a waiter, or literally one of the infinite options available to any of us.

    But I won't willingly subsidize the laziness of others.

    There is no free lunch.

    I hope your self righteousness keeps you warm at night.

  4. #134
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, you'd just rather starve. You win.
    Politics is the art of the possible, and last time I checked capitalism turned the US into the most dominant force this world has seen since the Roman Empire.

    You can't argue with success.

  5. #135
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I don't recommend it. I would prefer that they go cure cancer, or start a landscaping business, or find music, or be a waiter, or literally one of the infinite options available to any of us.

    But I won't willingly subsidize the laziness of others.

    There is no free lunch.

    I hope your self righteousness keeps you warm at night.
    Physician heal yourself.

    I dont believe anyone believes in a free lunch, do you? Just that most people dont lose enough sleep about it that they'd rather see people destitute and starving.

  6. #136
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Politics is the art of the possible, and last time I checked capitalism turned the US into the most dominant force this world has seen since the Roman Empire.

    You can't argue with success.
    Yeah, capitalism, its not what the libertarian party of other capitalist pundits call it but I've said that already and this is going like every Disco Biscuit conversation, very circular, with the usual cliches wheeled out and whatever tabloid sound bites come to mind being toss out until you lose your temper with the fact that other posters are so easily satisfied.

  7. #137
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Physician heal yourself.

    I dont believe anyone believes in a free lunch, do you? Just that most people dont lose enough sleep about it that they'd rather see people destitute and starving.
    Your assumption that those who pay for the programs wouldn't lose any sleep if the programs ended all work requirements, and were basically given to any who would qualify as poor enough indefinitely, is horribly misguided.

    This kind of stuff bugs the shit out of a vast swath of the US electorate.

    Now if you wanted to create some sort of national service program where those in this category if they choose can work for a low wage on infrastructure projects, and get to eat through that, then I'm all for it (as long as long as it doesn't turn into a $300 billion boondoggle).

    Everyone has to put in effort to receive anything.

  8. #138
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, capitalism, its not what the libertarian party of other capitalist pundits call it but I've said that already and this is going like every Disco Biscuit conversation, very circular, with the usual cliches wheeled out and whatever tabloid sound bites come to mind being toss out until you lose your temper with the fact that other posters are so easily satisfied.
    And its the same pie in the sky socialist naivete from you.

    Your positions aren't based in any sort of facts on the ground reality, like what is actually politically possible in the US.

    The best you've ever been able to offer are academic talking points, that the wheels fall off of the instant one tries to apply them.

  9. #139
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    And its the same pie in the sky socialist naivete from you.

    Your positions aren't based in any sort of facts on the ground reality, like what is actually politically possible in the US.

    The best you've ever been able to offer are academic talking points, that the wheels fall off of the instant one tries to apply them.
    I hope you dont delete this when you realise how mistaken it is. I'm going to quote it when you run out of useful points to make in the next thread to save you the trouble of rewording it as your "last word" post.

    There's been no pie in the sky naivette, although you probably dont know the origins of that particular saying so its funny that you'd mention it as you do and associate it with socialism, which I never mentioned either. I responded to a thread which seemed to be suggesting that the US was too economically weak to feed itself, when you decided to illustrate just how fiscal conservatives conflate the necessities of the majority of the population with the "sun, moon and stars". Its not hard to ridicule a political tendency when they do the best job possible of it all by themselves.

  10. #140
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I hope you dont delete this when you realise how mistaken it is. I'm going to quote it when you run out of useful points to make in the next thread to save you the trouble of rewording it as your "last word" post.

    There's been no pie in the sky naivette, although you probably dont know the origins of that particular saying so its funny that you'd mention it as you do and associate it with socialism, which I never mentioned either. I responded to a thread which seemed to be suggesting that the US was too economically weak to feed itself, when you decided to illustrate just how fiscal conservatives conflate the necessities of the majority of the population with the "sun, moon and stars". Its not hard to ridicule a political tendency when they do the best job possible of it all by themselves.
    You conflate the needs of the lazy but capable with the needs of the truly needy.
    Last edited by highlander; 06-25-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: insult removed

Similar Threads

  1. how to get super spicy food in Thai restaurants?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2016, 06:22 AM
  2. How did you get the politics you did
    By Zergling in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-21-2016, 06:06 PM
  3. More Americans Added to Food Stamps Than Find Jobs
    By Zarathustra in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 10:27 PM
  4. USA States With High Unemployment Outsourcing Food Stamp Services
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO