User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Thread: PRISM

MBTI
    INTJ

PRISM Is Just Part Of A Much Larger, Scarier Government Surveillance Program

Excerpt:

Under Prism, the delivery process varied by company.

Google, for instance, says it makes secure file transfers. Others use contractors or have set up stand-alone systems. Some have set up user interfaces making it easier for the government, according to a security expert familiar with the process.

Every company involved denied the most sensational assertion in the Prism documents: that the NSA pulled data "directly from the servers" of Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, AOL and more.

Technology experts and a former government official say that phrasing, taken from a PowerPoint slide describing the program, was likely meant to differentiate Prism's neatly organized, company-provided data from the unstructured information snatched out of the Internet's major pipelines.

In slide made public by the newspapers, NSA analysts were encouraged to use data coming from both Prism and from the fiber-optic cables.

Prism, as its name suggests, helps narrow and focus the stream. If eavesdroppers spot a suspicious email among the torrent of data pouring into the United States, analysts can use information from Internet companies to pinpoint the user.

With Prism, the government gets a user's entire email inbox. Every email, including contacts with American citizens, becomes government property.

Once the NSA has an inbox, it can search its huge archives for information about everyone with whom the target communicated. All those people can be investigated, too.

That's one example of how emails belonging to Americans can become swept up in the hunt.

In that way, Prism helps justify specific, potentially personal searches. But it's the broader operation on the Internet fiber optics cables that actually captures the data, experts agree.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ

It's interesting how meh this topic is for so many people. There seems an assumption that terrorists are always authentic. Like, say, Terrorist 1 wants to speak to Terrorist 2 and will always say what he means. They might code the language of course, but they'd still talk about terrorist activities. They wouldn't, for instance, one day scratch together enough brain cells between them to acquire at least one computer science degree with a communications minor and, oh, I don't know, target innocent people and let the NSA do their work for them. These days you get emails from Nigerian princes asking for your bank details. Next year it'll be an Afghan credit company asking if you could look after a small quantity of C4 for a short time, no questions asked.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Edward Snowdon and Tranquillity

I feel some personal sympathy for Edward Snowdon.

He is reported as being tranquill.

And I have felt this same tranquillity when I have followed my conscience in a difficult circumstance.

And interestingly, I feel a similar tranquillity when I write a poem, perhaps because poety is emotion recollected in tranquillity, or is it that I am following the deeper imperative of my conscience?

MBTI
    INTJ

which does of course raise the question of what's actually going to happen to him.

3 NSA veterans speak out on whistle-blower: We told you so

Excerpt:

Q: What should Edward Snowden expect now?

Binney: Well, first of all, I think he should expect to be treated just like Bradley Manning (an Army private now being court-martialed for leaking documents to WikiLeaks). The U.S. government gets ahold of him, that's exactly the way he will be treated.

Q: He'll be prosecuted?

Binney: First tortured, then maybe even rendered and tortured and then incarcerated and then tried and incarcerated or even executed.

Wiebe: Now there is another possibility, that a few of the good people on Capitol Hill — the ones who say the threat is much greater than what we thought it was — will step forward and say give this man an honest day's hearing. You know what I mean. Let's get him up here. Ask him to verify, because if he is right — and all pointers are that he was — all he did was point to law-breaking. What is the crime of that?

Drake: But see, I am Exhibit No. 1. ...You know, I was charged with 10 felony counts. I was facing 35 years in prison. This is how far the state will go to punish you out of retaliation and reprisal and retribution. ... My life has been changed. It's been turned inside, upside down. I lived on the blunt end of the surveillance bubble. ... When you are faced essentially with the rest of your life in prison, you really begin to understand and appreciate more so than I ever have — in terms of four times I took the oath to support the Constitution — what those rights and freedoms really mean. ...

Believe me, they are going to put everything they have got to get him. I think there really is a risk. There is a risk he will eventually be pulled off the street.

I can see how poetry could be cause for murder too, but it might be unrelated to the present case.

Boy meets Grr

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    I can see how poetry could be cause for murder too.
    Fortunately we know, "poetry does nothing".

For those interested.

An Edward Snowden Q&A is going "live."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...-whistleblower

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

I don`t go for conspiracy theories, but this is full of them and its not fictional.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    I don`t go for conspiracy theories, but this is full of them and its not fictional.
    I can assure you, there has been other conspiracies out there, apparently... and they are even better than the ones I can come up with.

Here come the Edward Snowden truthers

Is this seriously how I sound? Or do they sound even further than I do? These people are on another league.

It's like game of thrones.

Whatever the case, they are on our side, for now.... if there is a "they."

Also,

FBI Admits It Surveils U.S. With Drones

MBTI
    INTJ

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ

Also:

You be the judge.

Boy meets Grr