User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: PRISM

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    I'm still puzzled how exposure of this and related programs is a threat to national security. The terrs will drop even further off "the grid" now that they know--or have been vaguely warned--that the grid can be searched? All of the terrorists? All of that threatening collective called "terrorists"? Or now that the American public has been vaguely but seemingly authentically warned, the various intelligence agencies will have their reach reduced by zealous, complaining publics who encourage more red tape?

One of the things Ed seemed rightly to point out was if these programs can be made to fail by the actions of one government employee, something's not right in their structure. (Was it Ed who said that. I forget. Help a brother out, NSA, can you look up the record?)
    the existence of this sort of program has been pretty obvious since the laws made it possible(this is why they wanted laws which allow this..) and like someone somewhere said that everyone who is actually capable of detonating a bomb is aware that his phone might be listened and emails scanned. they have been aware of this even before the laws and its pretty obvious that no one will send an text message to his friends about plans on blowing up the golden gate or what ever. i really dont think that the US government is so stupid that they dont realize this, therefore it wouldnt be too far off to hypothesize that this surveillance isnt actually about terrorism, but just uses terrorism as an excuse for something else..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ

On the upside, China gets to go tut-tut at the US on cybersecurity and human rights. Isn't that just super. Not only is it fantastically hypocritical for Beijing to do that, but how does anyone call them out now?

The "war on terror" gave China useful rhetorical devices for talking over their suppression of Tibet and Xinjiang. And whatever justification the US comes up with for PRISM, they'll be handing China international legitimacy for their surveillance state. And each and every time some earnest US intelligence official tells the press to remind everyone that Ed Snowden MIGHT DEFECT AND TELL THEM EVERYTHING! He's telling you to accept American surveillance.

/not politically savvy.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

and at the same time

we are infallible and highly compartmentalized and even in MY position, it would be impossible for him to know this stuff and so he is a delusional man. yet they are attempting to capture him, this delusional man who knows nothing.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think that one of the most practical things anyone concerned about spies or military industrial complex spending can do is to support measures which create a rival big spend which will be popular with the public and compete for spending with spies and military industrial complex, ie health and social spending.

MBTI
    INTJ

THE N.S.A.’S PRISM REMAINS OPAQUE

Something's going wrong.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Apparently he leaked documents that were not only Classified but Top Secret, so the best he can hope for is life in prison.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I don't understand the American need for the absolute democracy, privacy and freedom. Do you think that before 9/11 there wasn t some sort if population surveillance made?or that the cia or some other agency did not listen to your calls? Let s be realistic now, they ve heard your gossip with your neighbor for years now and you still were free, had privacy,etc. it s just a matter of making the people anxious and manipulating them. Please enlighten me if i m wrong here
    And also @Lark makes a good point above

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    I don't understand the American need for the absolute democracy, privacy and freedom. Do you think that before 9/11 there wasn t some sort if population surveillance made?or that the cia or some other agency did not listen to your calls? Let s be realistic now, they ve heard your gossip with your neighbor for years now and you still were free, had privacy,etc. it s just a matter of making the people anxious and manipulating them. Please enlighten me if i m wrong here
    And also @Lark makes a good point above
    I'll give you a full reply later today as it is past midnight here. But basically, privacy, while important, is the least of our concerns... the bills and laws that have passed recently(since the 1960, and more recently 2001-today)are basically a subversion... which sets a dangerous precedent if not corrected. More dangerous than just having someone from the future abuse people's privacy.

If someone is willing to give a lengthy reply that would be great. ( I know some of you are better at/ have better explanations than I do.)

Edit: I've been trying to sleep, but my mind has been wired again(my mind is making sense of some things). Also, @DiscoBiscuit please contribute more. What you contribute will more than likely flesh out my thinking process. Somewhere along political history and theory and the ramifications because of it.

EDIT 2: It'll take me a day to do a brain dump, probably. No guarantee it'll make sense, but it'll be amusing, I think.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I read that the US could cut its military spending by 85% and it would still have the biggest military in the world.

<------ conspiracy stuff, I erased it... but if people seriously wanted to read what I wrote umm lol.

If you wanted to see the post, I can repaste it, but....