User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: PRISM

Privacy and the Wild Wood

The hard thing to get our head around is that privacy is over.

There is no privacy in a traditional village and there is no privacy in the electric village.

But of course it is worse, not only is privacy over but the author is dead. Just look at Central, there is no author.

But worse than that, the individual is over, and so we join our electronic tribes, like Typology Central.

It is hard to imagine it could get any worse, but not only is privacy over, the author is dead, and there are no more individuals, but our God died in the 19th Century.

We are homeless children a long way from home.

We are lost in the Wild Wood, it has started to snow, and our only hope is to find Badger's door.

To find out what happened, read http://www.online-literature.com/grahame/windwillows/3/

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...onday-19379485

he is missing now. did they fnd him? is he alive?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...onday-19379485

he is missing now. did they fnd him? is he alive?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...radition-fight

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-here-to-hide/

He is most likely still in Hong Kong. But there is no confirmation but reports in Hong Kong. There seems to be support of him staying in Hong Kong also.

Trying to use google translate to see if I can get anything from Hong Kong confirming it.

EDIT: If you guys are willing to look up traditional Chinese characters on information about Snowden for rough translation (some online translation or something.) This is what I have found.

Hong Kong: 香港

Hong Kong People: 香港人

Snowden: 斯諾登

Protest: 抗議

There is a Hong Kong site about what I have found.

(Independent media special report) revealed earlier due to the U.S. National Security Agency has been monitoring public Internet Privacy Snowdon has publicly expressed the hope that the Government should not make him handed the U.S. government hands. Today's news that the U.S. authorities of its intention to prosecute, and requested the Government to assist in the arrest and extradition for trial. Legislative Councillor Fernando believes Irrespective Government how to deal with this incident should be made to the international and transparent public accountability. Refugee Concern network Luhan Si pastor responded Snowdon is recommended to apply for refugee status.

A number of organizations, including Amnesty International, the Hong Kong Christian Institute, the Catholic Justice and Peace Commission and the Hong Kong citizens equal to Wednesday (June 12) held in Mong Kok "town of love" World Refugee Day Carnival; Legislative Councillor Fernando also attended the event. His response to inquiries from reporters, said he strongly opposed the Hong Kong Government to the United States "to pay people." If the yield to the United States Government, equivalent to direct damage to our core values. And even if the Government would "turn him over" to the U.S., the public should also be accountable; not let Snowdon unclear missing.

Snowden recommends applying for refugee status
    Refugee Concern network Luhan Si pastor responded Snowdon event also pointed out that in accordance with past practice, the granting of political asylum should be the first one of the fugitives are staying in the country. In other words, Snowdon asylum should be made in Hong Kong rather than Iceland. Lu was admitted Snowdon choose Hong Kong as the first stop fleeing, must have its reasons and ideas. Although the Chinese government and the uncertain relationship between the United States, Hong Kong belongs to China has only one "area"; therefore the prospect of Snowdon is still difficult to predict, but it is undoubted courage. He also believes that Snowdon is the only application for refugee status today's interest; previous asylum applications generally require long duration, but with the current popularity of Snowdon, he estimated that perhaps only need two to four days.

Government of refugees living in Hong Kong hard to ignore refugees living expenses
    Comes to the problem of refugees, Fernando also refers to the Hong Kong Government did not take part of the responsibility of the international community, although the Government has allowed the UNHCR refugee status in Hong Kong for the identification, but the underlying support to refugees are seriously inadequate. And generally among the refugees in the confirmation process will take up to seven to eight years, but not in the middle to work and study, Zhang describe them than the CSSA recipients living situation even more embarrassing.

Since December 2000, the United Nations resolution on World Refugee Day is June 20; while the number of refugees in Hong Kong, there are currently nearly one thousand people. From Cameroon Roy also shared his personal feelings, he refers to the refugees fled to Hong Kong in order to want to have a sense of security;, but has suffered after the arrival of another oppressed, very bitter. He was referring to the Hong Kong Government for refugee families a monthly allowance of only $ 1200, simply can not afford basic housing. Furthermore is the food problem, they have a small amount of food every ten days supply life miserable.

Snowdon group solidarity march on Saturday
    In addition, the independent media (Hong Kong) will be held on Saturday (June 15) marches and solidarity Snowdon. There are a number of organizations including the Democratic Front and the Education Society, participation, request the Hong Kong Government in accordance with international conventions and practices to deal with and the protection of Snowdon; condemned the U.S. government violated the rights and privacy of Internet users, urged the United States to stop persecution of Snowdon. Parade will be held at Chater Garden set three lines, the first will go to the U.S. consulate to protest, to Tamar requests the Government to protect the Nuosi Deng.

Reporter: McMahon High, Wu Zhuoheng
    Here is the English Confirmation of the Saturday Event.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    obama defending nsa. my loyalty is with the old obama, not this person serving now. i voted for obama because he was what bush was not but now he is proving to be exactly that. i have nothing to hide, but yes, i d be stupid to not see where this is heading and if there were talks of impeaching him, some kind of wagon, make room because now I am on it.
    I watched the presidential debates pretty extensively, especially for 2008. There is no "old obama" or "obama" who ran for office. It was pretty clear he wasn't going to reform this kind of stuff. He never spoke in favor of repealing the Patriot Act, for instance. I think what happened is that people didn't know much about him, and he seemed different, so people assumed he would be gung ho about the issues they were in favor. Granted, the "change" stuff didn't help either.

I voted for him because he was better than the alternative, and third parties are not only impractical in our political system, but they're now dominated by the kind of people who think 9/11 was an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit
    Thinking goes that if it weren't Obama (or possibly even just Democrats) in the WH that there would be much more of a stink being made.
    Sadly, as a registered Democrat, I think there's a lot of truth to this. And that's the reason why, when it comes to politics, I'm mostly an apathetic sarcastic jackass except for on election day. Maybe this is sloppy Ti-Si thinking , but I don't see how reform is possible with this bullshit "team player" mentality.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm still puzzled how exposure of this and related programs is a threat to national security. The terrs will drop even further off "the grid" now that they know--or have been vaguely warned--that the grid can be searched? All of the terrorists? All of that threatening collective called "terrorists"? Or now that the American public has been vaguely but seemingly authentically warned, the various intelligence agencies will have their reach reduced by zealous, complaining publics who encourage more red tape?

One of the things Ed seemed rightly to point out was if these programs can be made to fail by the actions of one government employee, something's not right in their structure. (Was it Ed who said that. I forget. Help a brother out, NSA, can you look up the record?)
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

"you can`t subvert democracy when it suits you." really sticks in the head. this along with
    you cant have 100% privacy and 100% security". if you subvert democracy when it suits you, is it really democracy when you take people out of the equation? whats the name for it, cause it is no longer a democracy, it turns into something else, what is that word?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INTJ

Naive perhaps but...

I can see how if your running a single surveillance operation against a target or targeted group, it's probably better that your techs don't broadcast details of your methodology--who you're collecting info from, for example. It'd tip them off. But if you're creating a surveillance institution that monitors different threats as they arise, in some ways it might be better to advertise, right? Let everyone know the standards and possibilities. Sure, the bad guys will look for other means to be bad, but so what? Unless your goal is the elimination of all ill will, you're going to have to let some people think bad thoughts and sometimes have meetings.

Or does "terrorism" justify the structures that are being created against it?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ

Meanwhile,

The Guardian newspaper, which has published information from documents leaked by Snowden, has said that it has more than a thousand other documents from Snowden that it plans to disclose in coming weeks.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...-hacked-china/

Boy meets Grr

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

cant really eliminate it as you create it. just make tyranny easier to implement along way, making it easy to go unstoppable. no ones really gonna bother when you can crush them with every bit of information you have on them.
    -Bruce Lee

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

the tapping the journalist phone calls, learning what they know ahead time. would give you the opportunity to remove any evidence could prevent any incidences concerning public being made public.

nothing, no legal law suits will really ever change the path and direction things are headed.
    -Bruce Lee