User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: IRS and the DOJ

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default IRS and the DOJ

What are your thoughts on the unfolding situations with the DOJ and the IRS.

I would think that there would already be threads about this, but I didn't see any.

Benghazi is also an issue, but that was a case of misrepresenting the facts on the ground to make Obama look better prior to the election.

While this outrages me somewhat, it is also action of a type that pretty much any administration engages in (especially in an election year).

Ultimately, this misrepresentation and the political calculation behind it had nothing to do with the death of Ambassador Stevens, so I dont think this has legs long term.

I will say, taken as a whole, these three scandals paint a very disconcerting picture of an administration that in it's infancy claimed it would change Washington and fight against the kind of actions they are now accused of.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I would think I wasn't the only one with civil libertarian tendencies here.

There are two threads, but for some reason people don't really want to talk about it around here.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=62704

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=62558
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    There are two threads, but for some reason people don't really want to talk about it around here.
    What reason could that be I wonder in my heart of hearts?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well the IRS scandal is getting pretty ugly.

More to the point it does the most to damage the argument for big government of the three scandals.

I don't think Holder will finish out his term.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Well the IRS scandal is getting pretty ugly.

More to the point it does the most to damage the argument for big government of the three scandals.

I don't think Holder will finish out his term.
    The bizarre thing is that he wasn't going to stay the whole term anyway, but now he's digging in so the republicans won't be percieved to be getting a win.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Habitual fingerpointing and manipulation of media by the polarized party extremists on both sides have made all of this white noise. It's like trying to discipline two children who hate each other and are out to twist every happenstance to their advantage.

It's hard to tell what to believe is true, so I wish both sides would STFU and get on with actually governing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    The bizarre thing is that he wasn't going to stay the whole term anyway, but now he's digging in so the republicans won't be percieved to be getting a win.
    Perception is reality in DC.

Obama is too smart a man to have had anything to do with this that could be traced back to him. That being said, I definitely think he knew (maybe just the vague outline) of what had been going on in the IRS.

Interestingly, people seem to forget that Unions are 501(c)(5)'s and engage in exactly the same kind of soft money funneling (and were actually some of the first to ever do it) that the Super PAC's do.

Sarah Ingram was the head of the IRS during the targeting and now she heads up the implementation of the ACA which incidentally leans heavily on the IRS for enforcement.

The rate shocks from the ACA should be hitting young childless adults in October.

The political winds have shifted. And while its still way too soon to know how anything will shake out for 2016, the likelihood of the GOP retaking the Senate in 14 has increased substantially.

More importantly, these scandals have shaken the faith of many who not 6 months ago held up the current administration as having unimpeachable moral fiber.

The satisfaction of Independents with the WH has dropped precipitously.

We need to keep moving forward, and not shoot ourselves in the foot, but if we can keep moving in Rand Paul's direction policy wise, we may be able to finally develop a platform that goes beyond cutting taxes and repealing the ACA.

Midterm elections naturally favor the GOP (mostly because of the geographic distribution of the GOP relative to Dems) and the fact that the young typically don't vote in midterms. Not too mention the fact the the Dems don't seem to fair nearly as well without Obama on the ticket.

This will all be enough for the GOP in the 14 midterms, but before 16 if we want to have a serious shot we will need to take big steps in developing a positive platform. Luckily we've got plenty of time, and plenty of interested intellectuals on the right to do that.

Jim McDermott keeps making himself look worst and worst.

Yesterday he made statements that seemed to indicate the conservative groups brought this on themselves. Then today he indicated that he believed at least one of the witnesses was lying to him. The guy he claims was lying to him runs (or did before he got held up by the IRS for 3 years) a conservative high school education charity that has a curriculum based on Plato, Augustine, Washington, and Montesquieu.

What's crazy about this is that he was complaining that the these group were asking the government to subsidize their political activity by getting a tax break and yet, of course, he supports public financing of elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Habitual fingerpointing and manipulation of media by the polarized party extremists on both sides have made all of this white noise. It's like trying to discipline two children who hate each other and are out to twist every happenstance to their advantage.

It's hard to tell what to believe is true, so I wish both sides would STFU and get on with actually governing.
    You realize the whole concept is that the bureaurocracy operates on a non-partisan basis and will just get things done.

How's that working out?