User Tag List

First 4121314

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    How so?
    The New Age and mbti are not based on evidence and reason.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Evidence and reason is demonstrated not by declarative by statements alone, but by some sort of explanation, demonstration of a cause and effect relationship, or an illustration of how the concepts relate to each other.

In other words, your claim that the New Age and mbti are not based on evidence and reason is not itself based on evidence and reason.

I can see the New Age (however, you'll need to define that, because it's about as vague as hipster) being a reaction against the enlightenment. MBTI is not. It is very much a rationalist project, attempting to describe and categorize human personality.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    MBTI is not. It is very much a rationalist project, attempting to describe and categorize human personality.
    Mbti claims to be a personality test yet in 75 years there has not been one random double blind experiment to test its validity and reliability.

Surely that would arouse your suspicion?

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Rationalism and empiricism are different.

Also, the Big Five is accepted by scientists, and it correlates in some respects to the MBTI, which suggests that it has some applicability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fiv...onality_traits
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Rationalism and empiricism are different.

Also, the Big Five is accepted by scientists, and it correlates in some respects to the MBTI, which suggests that it has some applicability.
    Mbti was plagiarised from the book, "Psychological Types", by Carl Jung. And Carl himself admitted his book, "Personality Types", was based on no empirical evidence.

So if we are to accept mbti as a reliable and valid personality test without any random double blind experiment in 75 years, and without any empirical evidence, we must take a leap of faith.

So mbti is a faith based cult.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Your dislike of Carl Jung does not disprove my argument.

Visit my Johari:

Your dislike of Carl Jung does not disprove my argument.
    Carl Jung was a bad man. He worked for Reichsmarschall Göring who founded the Gestapo and who was a drug addict.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Sorry, you seem to have misunderstood how posting online works. Although thanks for being todays representative for your views, now and again I wonder if I'm unfair in the conclusions I've reached, luckily for me there's always going to be plenty of people to provide the evidence that I'm not.
    If everyone was pinkgraffiti, sure. I don't think I would be so confident to slaver that brush around though.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Carl Jung was a bad man. He worked for Reichsmarschall Göring who founded the Gestapo and who was a drug addict.
    I don't know about the drug addict part (and don't care), but the first part of that is incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Ju...C_1933_to_1939

I don't find anything terribly damning about any of that. They read like the actions of a relatively sane person, in a society that's gone completely bonkers. While not exactly a resistance fighter, it's not like he just went along with all the bullshit. It's flat out inaccurate, at any rate.

And even if that was the case, you still haven't acknowledged or disputed any of the points I made about the Big Five and its overlap with MBTI . All you can do is try and Godwin this thread. And you value evidence and reason?

Visit my Johari: