User Tag List

Thread: Cracked article on online behaviour

Default Cracked article on online behaviour

Check this out, it links with different discussions which have taken place on this forum and forums like it that I've visited and its a pretty good overview to online behaviour, comparing it with offline behaviour.

What do you think? Too basic or anything useful here?

redundant descriptor Array netzealot's Avatar

Point #1 and some of #2 was pretty insightful... and the real issue here is how people deal with anonymity in person and online, because it's different.

Example from point #1:
    In person, you quit your job and you will probably never see those people again, so in a way, you are anonymous to them at that point and don't need to bother telling anyone you're going to leave. Admittedly I have done this one time in my life at a call-center tech support job and it was to my advantage to not have to deal with any more bullshit without really any consequences to doing so. You know people are going to realize you're not coming back at one point and it'll be somewhat of a problem for a short time.

Online, each person is largely insignificant, so what is in person, an advantage, online is a disadvantage. Now, people compensate by making "Im leaving" posts and such. Interestingly, if someone is fired, sometimes the suggestion that they're dispensable and unnecessary enough to get rid of triggers the same response, and they'll make a big ruckus before security drags them out.

The way this dovetails with point #2 is that because any given person is less significant online, one of the expressions of the compensation for that is an increase of destructive behavior. Trolls are people who don't have any important contributions and they'd rather get negative attention than none at all.

There is definitely a take away, as this probably applies to people who create problems on purpose in real life.

Senior Member Array

On the one hand the author says:

"... without a word, you just stand up and walk out of the room, never to be heard from again. No follow-up conversation explaining why. No bullshit talk about why you can't be friends anymore. You just walk away like that person never existed. ...because of this weirdass type of social connection, that's now a regular thing." (#5)

And then:

"... "leave without anyone noticing" is actually a rarity on the net." (#1)

Which one is it?

This is awesome post regarding human behavior i like the first one about breaking things.