User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Victor, I will discuss this topic with you when we are both in purgatory around 60 years time.
    Mate, I was looking forward to Limbo but I think you are right, it looks like Purgatory.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is delightfully bizarre as it was the elected Government of Queen Victoria who abolished slavery in 1833, for the first time in human history.

No, slavery for the most part was abolished(or at least rendered obsolete) throughout the Medieval period. As more nations converted to the faith, they largely got rid of slavery. This was especially true with the Vikings, who made fortunes kidnapping people from raids and selling them into slavery.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    All philosophy, spirituality, and talk of pursuit of inner life is wholly superfluous to the identity of Catholicism.
    If you say so.....

If authority factor was not prominent, there would be no distinction between religion and philosophy.
    The distinction between religion(well Abrahamic faiths that is) and philosophy is revealation.

Religious teachings would be criticized and altered just like doctrines in articles of scholarly journals of philosophy. This isnt happening as the teachings have remained primarily static.
    You obviously don't know much about Catholic intellectual developments over the centuries.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I think Catholicism is a sad and destructive religion.

In my books, it provides no merit to its members/brain-washed sheep.

I have no respect for this religion, none at all.

It saddens me deeply, that children, and foreigners alike are subjected and subjugated to the ridiculous and detrimental hogwash that catholicism provides.

I can respect many/some religions, but catholicism most certainly is not one of them.

And ugh, at the pope and the diocese and the bishops and their indulgences of power.

Yuck, yuck yuck!!!

And as for "celibate" priests who molest boys.

Fuck those assholes!!!

They should be confined to, and detained in a large traveling bulletproof Plexiglas box for two months in every capitol in every state until the day they die!!

I could go on...but I probably shouldn't.

Wow, that's some profound stuff. I think I'll have to sit and reflect on this for a while.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The notion that the Church as an institution deliberately tries to cover-up sex crimes is based upon a rather perverted and simplistic look at the Catholic mentality.
    Does it not, as an institution, do just that? Just the facts, sir. No pleas about "the Catholic mentality." After all, who cares what lofty ideas an institution says it embraces if it has one consistently dastardly habit that affects people in reality?
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    Does it not, as an institution, do just that? Just the facts, sir. No pleas about "the Catholic mentality." After all, who cares what lofty ideas an institution says it embraces if it has one consistently dastardly habit that affects people in reality?
    I already addressed this argument in this thread.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I already addressed this argument in this thread.
    Here?

Same basic principle applies here in regards to pedophile priests. Wrong-doing cannot be tolerated, but then again a major element of Catholicism is forgiveness and giving people chances to redeemn themselves.

Of course, we're all human and we all have spiritual laspes. That's why the Church provides the sacrament of reconcilliation, so people can once again unite themselves with God. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If we take this view, then it changes the picture. Pedophiles are not monstors, they're humans like anybody else. This basic fact is lost in much of the media sensationalism on this issue. Catholicism doesn't think that way.
    It is not the Catholic Church's call to give child molesters forgiveness and a chance to redeem themselves for ILLEGAL acts upon a child. There is no contradiction in forgiving the pedophiles and still turning them in to authorities. THey can "unite themselves with God" while enduring the same treatment they mete out to kids... in prison. That the Church takes it upon itself to shield the criminals and give them a chance to "redeem themselves" <cough> rape again and again </cough> points to a twisted mindset that has no place ministering to a flock. That is an institution that should heal itself.
    We're all human and all have issues. However, we are not all child rapists. There are human monsters. The first stone idea is an example of scripture being twisted to serve the illicit ends of sickos who cannot face themselves, and to serve the institution that loves them.
    It seems silly to then argue that the whole institution should not be condemned for its long-standing protection of pedophiles because the reason for the protection is the wholesale mentality with which the institution approaches spirituality.

--
    If that is not the answer you intended, please direct me to the right post.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Sniffles

Oh boy Spartacuss, you so missed the point on so many levels.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

No, slavery for the most part was abolished(or at least rendered obsolete) throughout the Medieval period. As more nations converted to the faith, they largely got rid of slavery....
    Quote for my entertainment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Quote for our entertainment.
    Fixed
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles