User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default How can you not know this stuff?

http://getinspiredgetfit.com/picture...nishing-facts/

Someone posted a link to this on facebook earlier and I was astounded, weird and cool stories the like of which I've not heard before, not fact checked but if even some of them are true its just cool.

Cool. My favorite "The gorilla who was taught sign language, Koko, once lied to her trainers blaming a kitten for teating the sink out of the wall".

These facts are really interesting and should be shared to everyone.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Cool!
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTP

In my time as a teacher, I posted a "fact of the day" on the board every morning. I had some truly mindblowing shit. Lemme see if I can find...

Ok that was easy. *Thanks self for good organization..

I'll just post a few.

*A Boeing 747 holds 57,285 gallons of fuel.
    * The Earth weighs around 6,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons (6.6 sextillion tons)
    * Lightning strikes about 6,000 times per minute on this planet!
    *The star Betelgeuse is so large that it would reach out to Jupiter if it were where our sun is located.
    * There are exactly 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 permutations to a Rubik’s Cube, which is approximately forty-three quintillion. To put this into perspective, if every permutation of a 5.7-centimeter Rubik's Cube were lined up end to end, it would stretch out approximately 261 light years. Alternatively, if laid out on the ground, this is enough to cover the entire earth with 273 layers of cubes.
    * When you crack a whip, it makes a loud noise because the tip is actually moving faster than the speed of sound (761 mph). You’ve created a sonic boom.
    * Infants are born with 300 bones. As an adult, you only have 206. Or sometimes 207 for males.
    * How long would it take you to count to a billion if you counted at a rate of 1 number per second until you got to a billion? 32 years.
    * The blue whale can produce the loudest sound of any animal. At 188 decibels, the noise can be detected over 800 kilometers away.
    * Gold is the most ductile element. An ounce of gold can be stretched into a wire 43 miles long.
    * The shortest war in history was the Anglo-Zanzibar war in 1896. It was between Britain and Zanzibar, and it lasted 38 minutes.
    * In 1926, women were banned from competing in marathons because it was believed it caused infertility.
    *Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is the intense phobia of long words.
    * A cubic yard of air weighs about 2 pounds at sea level.
    * The Hubble telescope is so powerful that it is like pointing a beam of light at a dime that is two hundred miles away.
    * Of all the words in the English language, “set” has the most definitions (119, according to dictionary.com).
    * In a group of 23 people, there is more than a 50% probability that some pair of them will have the same birthday. For 57 or more people, the probability is 99%. Only at 367 does the probability equal 100% (because of leap years).
    * If you ate the liver of a polar bear, you would die of vitamin A overdose
    * Diamond is the hardest bulk substance known to man. However, diamonds very slowly turn into graphite over a long period of time.
    *African elephants are pregnant for 22 months at a time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Cool. My favorite "The gorilla who was taught sign language, Koko, once lied to her trainers blaming a kitten for teating the sink out of the wall".
    That is indeed awesome.

I also liked the one about dying in Amsterdam with no family, and a poet writing you a poem to recite at your funeral. How cool is that!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

@Lark It is all your fault that I spent the next three hours reading stuff on that website that I will never ever use
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    In my time as a teacher, I posted a "fact of the day" on the board every morning. I had some truly mindblowing shit. Lemme see if I can find...

Ok that was easy. *Thanks self for good organization..

I'll just post a few.
    <list>

This list reminds me of a silly little fact I know. The Bugatti Veyron, one of the fastest production cars ever built, has a top speed of about 253 mph. After about 15 minutes at top speed the tires would begin to melt. Not to worry though, it would never happen: the car would run out of fuel in about 12 minutes.