User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 31

  1. #21
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    There were directly attributable causes to his election. Being black was one of them, though it played a bigger factor in his first election since the goal of having a non-fully white president had already been accomplished by 2012. He won by a decidedly smaller margin the second time around. It will be interesting to see where is approval rating is after the culmination of these scandals.

    I specifically recall sitting with my white, rural-living cousin who was raised in an all white very Christian community. Uses the word nigger habitually as an insult. Called Obama the anti-Christ shortly after he was elected, with very serious intent, not just as some trivial insult.


    I'm not sure where I want to go with this. I just want to point out that there is equal absurdity in all camps of politics, to single out Obama's elections for him being black is as trivial as me going around stating people voted against him specifically because he was black, it truly is irreverent.

  2. #22
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    No, it's not. But, you can keep thinking that along with the idea that Obama is a good president.

    You know what they say about winning the special Olympics...
    It is something that should be treasured for the participants involved?


    Also, you are right - I should not state it was the best that could be mustered, but it is what was mustered. If my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle, that's the type of thinking I was using.

  3. #23
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I specifically recall sitting with my white, rural-living cousin who was raised in an all white very Christian community. Uses the word nigger habitually as an insult. Called Obama the anti-Christ shortly after he was elected, with very serious intent, not just as some trivial insult.


    I'm not sure where I want to go with this. I just want to point out that there is equal absurdity in all camps of politics, to single out Obama's elections for him being black is as trivial as me going around stating people voted against him specifically because he was black, it truly is irreverent.
    His skin color was singled out all throughout his campaign. It was constantly reiterated over and over again in the media. Do you honestly think it played no factor in his first election? If so, then we disagree. Nuff said.

    Words of wisdom:


  4. #24
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    His skin color was singled out all throughout his campaign. It was constantly re-iterated over and over again in the media. Do you honestly think it played no factor in his first election? If so, then we disagree. Nuff said.

    As I've stated, I think the concept of expressing you were voting for him specifically because he was black was a thought-terminating cliche. I don't think people would have been as eager to express these thoughts had the first black candidate been republican. To grow upset about the fact that people were making these expressions is absurd, is what I entered this discussion to show.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013...tention-fubar/

    Obama desperately wants to close Guantanamo, while at the same time, stating that he strongly prefers detaining terrorist suspects over killing them.

    Obama has spent the vast majority of his time killing terrorist suspects (including Osama bin Laden).

    If Guantanamo is closed, in what facility is Obama going to detain terrorist suspects? Is he simply going to continue solving the dilemma by killing them, thus contradicting his own valuing of human existence?
    You're kidding me, he's a badass mamma jammer gangsta?!

    All this time I thought he was presidenting, I could have sworn I saw him watch the Obama slaying on some little TV in some news coverage. He was, in actually, all this time "tha trigga nigga"?

    I can predict the next Chuck Norris meme is gonna be about how scared he is of Obama or how weak he is compared to Obama, Norris repells terrorist invasions, Obama prevents them invading in the first place by simply being.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    His skin color was singled out all throughout his campaign. It was constantly reiterated over and over again in the media. Do you honestly think it played no factor in his first election? If so, then we disagree. Nuff said.

    Words of wisdom:

    Same happened to JFK and Roman Catholicism.

    Although I dont think that American RCs saw JFK as a sort of messiah like I think a lot of voters have considered Obama. Guys a politician at the end of the day, presidential one.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You're kidding me, he's a badass mamma jammer gangsta?!

    All this time I thought he was presidenting, I could have sworn I saw him watch the Obama slaying on some little TV in some news coverage. He was, in actually, all this time "tha trigga nigga"?

    I can predict the next Chuck Norris meme is gonna be about how scared he is of Obama or how weak he is compared to Obama, Norris repells terrorist invasions, Obama prevents them invading in the first place by simply being.
    Obama has the power to change how things are done. Have you ever heard the term "commander-in-chief"?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #28
    movin melodies kiddykat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    His agreement to dropping drones I wasn't too happy with, either. I thought Obama promised to demolish Gitmo long time ago.

    And, I understand he's under a lot of pressure and is doing his effort to appease both parties, sometimes I feel he really needs to stand up and say "no." But, it's politics. So far seems like much of it here in the U.S. has been dirty politics about half the time.

    The democratic party is just as bad as the republican. Seems like the lobbyists did a successful job at controlling both parties, and not to mention the exec/legislative branches! Good job a-holes.

  9. #29
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post

    The democratic party is just as bad as the republican. Seems like the lobbyists did a successful job at controlling both parties, and not to mention the exec/legislative branches! Good job a-holes.
    It never would have happened if we had voted for Christina Billings for president. Though I can't say I know what would have happened instead.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  10. #30
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Obama has the power to change how things are done. Have you ever heard the term "commander-in-chief"?
    Obama does not, however, have the power to overrule congress... those detainees have to be sent somewhere (or tried and released). See Why Hasn't Obama Closed Guantanamo Bay for an overview (including how congress blocked civil trial and military tribunals for detainees, as well as blocking funding for imprisoning them in the US proper).

    Obama has made recent noises about trying to send 86 of the 166 remaining detainees back to Yemen, which is overdue.

    Of course, the role of congress in keeping Gitmo open doesn't excuse Obama's support for indefinite detention, nor his support for drone strikes. (I say this as someone who generally likes Obama, but who has been deeply disappointed by some of his actions on the civil liberties front.)

Similar Threads

  1. Barack Obama. Discuss.
    By Cindyrella in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
  2. McCain vs. Obama
    By pure_mercury in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 07:55 AM
  3. Who knows when Obama will declare his VP?
    By swordpath in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 10:21 AM
  4. Bush n' Obama Kinfolk
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
  5. Did anyone catch Obama's speech on race?
    By JuilinThiefTaker in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO