User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I wonder how many legitimately voted for him specifically because he was black. Black and Democrat, maybe. It's a thought-terminating cliché, for one to state they voted for him specifically because he was black.
    More than would be willing to admit, I'm sure. The Howard Stern show did a segment during the election and went to Harlem to interview people about who they were voting for. Even when he attributed McCain's policies to Obama and vice versa, it's clear their support was racially motivated.

1st election

2nd election

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    More than would be willing to admit, I'm sure. The Howard Stern show did a segment during the election and went to Harlem to interview people about who they were voting for. Even when he attributed McCain's policies to Obama and vice versa, it's clear their support was racially motivated.

You don't think the same principles are in effect between the dichotomies of Republicans/Democrats? I wonder how many voted for Bill for that one reason?

Epiphany

You don't think the same principles are in effect between the dichotomies of Republicans/Democrats? I wonder how many voted for Bill for that one reason?
    Bill who? Clinton? What principles are you referring to? I'm sure there are some whites who didn't vote for Obama because of his skin color, but I doubt the numbers are as high. We have no way to prove either way. I don't know how many times I've heard Obama praised as being the "first black president," and not for actually accomplishing anything. And he's just as much white as he is black. Race was a predominant issue in the first election. For some, it was the only issue.

WALMART

Bill who? Clinton? What principles are you referring to? I'm sure there are some whites who didn't vote for Obama because of his skin color, but I doubt the numbers are as high. We have no way to prove either way. I don't know how many times I've heard Obama praised as the "first black president," and not for actually accomplishing anything. And he's just as much white as he is black. Race was made a predominant issue in the first election. For some, it was the only issue.

Yeah. Meh, I don't know. I don't view it as much of an issue, apart from something for your emotions to get hung up on.

Epiphany

Yeah. Meh, I don't know. I don't view it as much of an issue, apart from something for your emotions to get hung up on.
    It was an emotional craze that got Obama elected in the first place, oddly enough. That's what happens in group mentalities; rationality takes a back seat to the whims of the collective. Of course the mainstream media had a lot to do with this by aggrandizing his persona and belittling his competition.

WALMART

It was an emotional craze that got Obama elected in the first place, oddly enough. That's what happens in group mentalities; rationality takes a back seat to the whims of the collective. Of course the mainstream media had a lot to do with this by aggrandizing his persona and belittling his competition.

I do not agree. His second election proves America finds him to be the capable individual he is, apart from being emotionally attached to him being black.

I think these statements are made (he was elected because he's black, etc) simply to minimize his success. It feels good to have a directly attributable cause to one's defeat (not saying you particularly campaigned against him).

I do not agree. His second election proves America finds him to be the capable individual he is, apart from being emotionally attached to him being black.

I think these statements are made (he was elected because he's black, etc) simply to minimize his success. It feels good to have a directly attributable cause to one's defeat (not saying you particularly campaigned against him).
    5 million fewer people voted for him in 2012. Besides he was being graded on a curve and compared to mitt and McCain almost anyone looks good.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    5 million fewer people voted for him in 2012. Besides he was being graded on a curve and compared to mitt and McCain almost anyone looks good.

Yes, but they were the best that could be mustered, so the point is moot.

Epiphany

There were directly attributable causes to his election. Being half-black was one of them, though it played a bigger factor in his first election since the goal of having a non-fully white president had already been accomplished by 2012. He won by a decidedly smaller margin the second time around. It will be interesting to see where his approval rating is after the culmination of these scandals.

Yes, but they were the best that could be mustered, so the point is moot.
    No, it's not. But, you can keep thinking that along with the idea that Obama is a good president.

You know what they say about winning the special Olympics...
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it