User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    British colonial politics changed and messed everything when they thought it was a good idea to support the Al Saud tribe against the (moderate) Ottomans.
    And you can blame Oz for that, for after the last successful cavalry charge in history at Beersheba, we went on to take the surrender of Damascus by the Ottoman Empire.

However Lawrence of Arabia had promised the Ottoman Empire to the Arabs. So Lawrence persuaded us to engage in a little playacting to save the face of the Arabs. So with a straight face we carried out a second faux surrender of the Ottomans to the Arabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Who are "we" in your mind? Britain isn't my country.

Regarding political ideology, this is your assertion. The attacker himself called for British troops to leave Muslim lands. And attacks like this were not happening in Britain before they occupied Muslim lands.

In reality the very definition "terrorism" is problematic. If a white gang attacks a black man in the same way, it would be called a "hate crime", if a Muslim does it to a soldier, it's "terrorism". Strange.
    Islamic terrorism is a worldwide phenomenom with a coherent ideology with muslims ready and willing to die for its fulfillment.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And you can blame Oz for that, for after the last successful cavalry charge in history at Beersheba, we went on to take the surrender of Damascus by the Ottoman Empire.

However Lawrence of Arabia had promised the Ottoman Empire to the Arabs. So Lawrence persuaded us to engage in a little playacting to save the face of the Arabs. So with a straight face we carried out a second faux surrender of the Ottomans to the Arabs.

Victor, next generation...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You have presented a relentless opposition to me personally for such a long time. I have come to understand this is because you are a tribal catholic in Northern Ireland.

And I myself have been touched by tribal catholicism as the catholic nuns in Picton, New South Wales, Australia instilled in me a tribal hatred of Protestants. I imagine you have been told the same stories to instill tribal hatred.

However in Australia we have let go the tribal hatreds between Protestants and Catholics. But apparently these tribal hatred still persist in Northern Ireland.

But even worse than tribal hatreds, the Irish clergy brought institutional child sexual abuse to Australia. And as I write we are dealing with these institutional crimes before our National Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse. And this follows on from the Judicial Enquiry into Institutional Child Abuse in Ireland by Justice Ryan, brought down in 2009.

So you might well like to consider what our criminal church has given us - tribal hatred and institutional child sexual abuse.
    I've opposed your opinions which are wrong most of the time and the way you present them but you really want to make this into sectarianism?

Now there's something more obvious and more insidious than mysogyny I reckon

Unfortunately I've dealt with it most of my life Victor, so its nothing new, unlike someone sitting in Australia playing mock battles online and imagining themselves part of a grand "we" in an epic battle, cuts pretty close to the bone when you've some first hand experience and not a bunch of hypotheticals from the press.

Islam and Free Speech at the Australian National University

The Student Newspaper called, "Woroni", at the Australian National University has been doing a series of satirical pieces on religion, all the religions. But when they came to Islam, they quoted from the Koran and made a comment.

No other religion on campus made a complaint against Woroni, except Islam.

And the student editors of Woroni were threatened with expulsion if the didn't remove their piece on Islam. And unfortunately the editors chose discretion rather than free speech, possibly with thoughts of meat cleavers on their minds.

And we have our next meat cleaver attack on a French soldier on a French railway station.

However neither English nor French muslims have come out onto the streets to protest the meat cleaver attacks, as they came out to protest a Danish cartoon.

MBTI
    INTJ

Identifying these two violently murderous men as terrorists is peculiar. It seems to serve only as a call for some greater institutional response to "terrorism" in general. But what is this "terrorism" around which some institutional response shall be built? Is it Islam itself? Or radical Islam only? Or are we referring to the impractical but destructive guerrilla actions carried out by the extremists "we" harbor?

This is different from promoting hate, right? Let's call call it the legitimate defense of teh realm.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Identifying these two violently murderous men as terrorists is peculiar. It seems to serve only as a call for some greater institutional response to "terrorism" in general. But what is this "terrorism" around which some institutional response shall be built? Is it Islam itself? Or radical Islam only? Or are we referring to the impractical but destructive guerrilla actions carried out by the extremists "we" harbor?

This is different from promoting hate, right? Let's call call it the legitimate defense of teh realm.
    I'm not sure that confering labels like terrorist isnt counter productive you know. There is a status associated with that and those responsible for this atrocity were consciously seeking that status.

Who cares about the private or personal ideological motives or "compelling reasons" of kills such as the gun man at Dunblane who massacred those children? And I do think there's moral equivalence there, I dont care about the content or motivation of psycho killers so much as the fact they kill. Treating it as crime pure and simple seems to be the best response. Framing it that way and being unwavering about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post

We regard the radical, political ideology of Islam to be the source of Islamic terrorism.

And we are defending civilization against barbarism.

So it's good to know what we are defending.

Our civilization is based on Ancient Greek philosophy, Judaism, Christianity and the Enlightenment.

And the values of the Enlightenment are evidence and reason, freedom and equality.

No one can predict the future, but we defeated, not one, but two totalitarian ideologies last century, and it took 70 years. And it may take the same amount of time to defeat the current totalitarian ideology.

MBTI
    INTJ

That sounds dogmatically ideological. Are you hating again, Victor?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr