First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    No he just called people a waste of oxygen because he doesn't like their fashion sense, and said that people who have pretentious taste in music are worse than people who employ children in Malaysia for two cents a day. He already lost the argument, and I put him on ignore.
    Need I point back to where it was stated that those who quote Ayn Rand should be institutionalized and not allowed to reproduce? Should I be placing your side on ignore? If we want to get anywhere, the two sides can't simply ignore each other. You need to have an open dialog going.

MBTI
    xxTP

Yeah it's hilarious to argue with someone without even understanding their position. Yes, for that reason, the fact that you chose to keep derisively arguing with me without reading the article is fucking disrespectful. You didn't have to read it because I posted it, but you did choose to keep arguing on the topic all while willfully ignoring what my position is and not understanding it in the least.
    I was not arguing against "your position" I was giving my impressions on a sub-culture.

I used to think people like you were SJs, you know, before I got into Personality Theory, I used to think that you were the epitome of what an SJ was...and yet I've known SJs with asymmetrical haircuts or their own distinctive individual Si style, who didn't feel a need to call themselves "classic" but actually took pride in being their own person.
    If you think having an assymetrical haircut or wearing ridiculous clothes makes you an "individual" then you are pretty much proving my point.

What you strike me as is a very smug, self-satisfied, person who generalizes people without knowing them or understanding them.
    Sure, you would never do that. Hipster culture in no way generalizes or looks down on others, right?

Like I say you;ve got all this rhetoric, but my experience is that hipsters are the most discriminatory and snobbish people, but not even aware of it.

Any way we are going round in circles so I will personally stop now as I have to wake up early and it 0030hs here.

EDIT: I couldn't ignore the thing about "employ children for two cents a day in Malaysia".

I wonder, go to Malaysia (actually a rich country, maybe you meant Bangladesh, but never mind) and offer those people your "solutions", I wonder how interested they would be? Of course they wouldn't, they want more productivity, more investment, more industry, more jobs and wealth. Those people will work years to have a car and you'd tell them to ride a bike!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Could maybe one or two threads not become a combat zone? Pretty please?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Need I point back to where it was stated that those who quote Ayn Rand should be institutionalized and not allowed to reproduce? Should I be placing your side on ignore? If we want to get anywhere, the two sides can't simply ignore each other. You need to have an open dialog going.
    Go ahead. I really do hate Ayn Rand. At least I hate her for her juvenile excuse for a "philosophy" and not because of the way she looked or dressed, or the music she listened to.

Besides I never said anyone who quoted Rand should be institutionalized, Blackmail! did. I told you I quoted her in my signature two years ago, but with the understanding that people know I no way agree with her sociopathy.

And YES, I've read Ayn Rand and watched Ron Paul videos and all that, I didn't just decide I didn't like her because other people did, I gave her a fair shake, and I found her to be absolutely intellectually appalling.

I'm not keeping an open dialogue going with him. Who are you a guidance counselor? Get away from me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Go ahead. I really do hate Ayn Rand. At least I hate her for her juvenile excuse for a "philosophy" and not because of the way she looked or dressed, or the music she listened to.

Besides I never said anyone who quoted Rand should be institutionalized, Blackmail! did. I told you I quoted her in my signature two years ago, but with the understanding that people know I know way agree with her sociopathy.

And YES, I've read Ayn Rand and watched Ron Paul videos and all that, I didn't just decide I didn't like her because other people did, I gave her a fair shake, and I found her to be absolutely intellectually appalling.

I'm not keeping an open dialogue going with him. Who are you a guidance counselor? Get away from me.
    Whatever. I've been nothing but cordial, and yet you act like you're being attacked. It was just a suggestion that running away from or ignoring those who disagree with you isn't going to solve anything.

When you think that everyone is attacking you, it may be healthy to examine the possibility that you're interpreting things the wrong way.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Whatever. I've been nothing but cordial, and yet you act like you're being attacked. It was just a suggestion that running away from or ignoring those who disagree with you isn't going to solve anything.

When you think that everyone is attacking you, it may be healthy to examine the possibility that you're interpreting things the wrong way.

Look, son, I've been a member of this forum since 2009. I have been banned more than once! WHY? For keeping an open dialogue going with total losers who would do things like continue arguing with me even if they weren't educated about my position and didn't even bother to read the references I posted.

Pointless arguments are pointless. Mr. Aftershave isn't my husband, he's a stranger on the Internet, and it may be in my best interest to ignore him after the ugly turn this conversation has taken.

Now stop acting like you think you know what's best for other people, because obviously you have no idea who I am or what my history is, and it's actually a sign of me being healthier for me to ignore people like him rather than chopping them up with a rusty chainsaw.

MBTI
    ENTP

It's a bit strange that both people in the nature/gardening/organic/local/authenticity culture are put into the same category as those in the digital/retro/future/irony/inauthenticity culture. I feel like, stylistically, hipster is anyone in the sliding scale between those two (Radical Face to Animal Collective to Toro y Moi to Vektroid).

Naturey/Authentic:

Inauthentic/Ironic:

In between:

I think in the fashion sense it means these two things (or anything in between). Usually if it's in between it's nature + retro. However, "hipster" also means anyone who thinks that they are better because they have a more "underground" or "advanced" taste. Any of the people who like the fashions described above may or may not be like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Look, son, I've been a member of this forum since 2009. I have been banned more than once! WHY? For keeping an open dialogue going with total losers who would do things like continue arguing with me even if they weren't educated about my position and didn't even bother to read the references I posted.

Pointless arguments are pointless. Mr. Aftershave isn't my husband, he's a stranger on the Internet, and it may be in my best interest to ignore him after the ugly turn this conversation has taken.

Now stop acting like you think you know what's best for other people, because obviously you have no idea who I am or what my history is, and it's actually a sign of me being healthier for me to ignore people like him rather than chopping them up with a rusty chainsaw.
    Fine, I will take your advice, and will no longer respond to you, then. By Yozora, you're so incredibly condescending. There are some people on this forum who are just impossible to have a conversation with, I'll give you that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Fine, I will take your advice, and will no longer respond to you, then. By Yozora, you're so incredibly condescending. There are some people on this forum who are just impossible to have a conversation with, I'll give you that.
    Um, because it's not condescending for you to tell me who I should put on ignore and who I should talk to? I mean, really, who the hell are you?

WHAT?

Do you have any idea how weird and invasive what you just said was?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    It's a bit strange that both people in the nature/gardening/organic/local/authenticity culture are put into the same category as those in the digital/retro/future/irony/inauthenticity culture. I feel like, stylistically, hipster is anyone in the sliding scale between those two (Radical Face to Animal Collective to Toro y Moi to Vektroid).

Naturey/Authentic:

Inauthentic/Ironic:

In between:

I think in the fashion sense it means these two things (or anything in between). Usually if it's in between it's nature + retro. However, "hipster" also means anyone who thinks that they are better because they have a more "underground" or "advanced" taste. Any of the people who like the fashions described above may or may not be like that.
    I live in California coastal town. I left my living space just to eat lunch and already saw a skinny guy with a huge, curled, waxed mustache, and another with a gigantic beard and a knit hat.

I feel right at home here. I'm not going to lie. I like being around hipsters. I'd rather be surrounded by hipsters and/or hippies than a lot of other subcultures.

That being said, I'm either a naturey/authentic one or something in between since I still like things like occasionally dressing intentionally 50's or 80's retro and looking at pictures on weheartit.

Like I've said before, it's all about intent. If it's too overweeningly intent to conform, that's the only time it annoys me, or when people don't want anyone else to listen to their favorite bands.

But even then, like I said, if they're going to follow anyone...

P.S. I have no idea where you got those pics for ironic/inauthentic but they're absolutely terrible, I don't relate to those people, and if that's what people are complaining about, go ahead and let them.