Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Everyone follows some kind of style. There is nothing wrong with expressing yourself in the way you look.

I go more for a classic look of shirt, jeans, nice trainers or maybe shoes, short hair, clean shaven, watch, aftershave.

I don't think being indie is a bad look though, and I ahve got oads of friends who dress like htat.

For me hipsters are something else though: the ones who think they are anti-corporate but would screw you over in a second if they get the chance. Usually the biggest capitalists of all.

I work in Marketing and PR so I know what I am talking about I deal with these circles very regularly.

Being anti-corporate is not the same thing as being anti-capitalist. Do you understand what being anti-corporate means? It doesn't mean not being an asshole.

Competition is a lot more fair when you're not competing against a fucking conglomeration that owns half of everything people buy.

I just last night realized that I need to boycott Nestle, and upon reading the entire list of what they owned, I realized they've monopolized three different seemingly unrelated ice cream brands, as well as three or four different kinds of frozen pizza, the other most popular frozen foods, some cosmetics, and both Perrier and Pelligrino. Perrier and Pelligrino are owned by the same fucking corporation. That's goddamned insane.

I hate Nestle. I want to burn them to the ground. What are they trying to take over the world? What's next, the world's water supply?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i kick their stupid bicycles.
    what is this? china?
    Why are bicycles stupid?

Bicycles are good for your health and for the environment. It's the future of mankind (and so is China by the way).
    Have you ever been to Copenhaguen or the Netherlands?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Being anti-corporate is not the same thing as being anti-capitalist. Do you understand what being anti-corporate means? It doesn't mean not being an asshole.
    Sure, but personally I'd rather not be an asshole and avoid those who are. Just because you're "no opposed to" being an asshole doesn't make it ok to be one! And what's the point of being anti-corporate if you'll be an asshole yourself? Build a better world filled with assholes?

I think a lot of them just use cynicism as an excuse to be a parasite, snob and asshole, as if "Monsanto do it, Obama does, so why can't I?"

In any case, like everyone I judge on appearances, yet one of my best friends is definitely an outright hipster in all the ways you described, so when it comes down to it, I can always make an exception.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Why are bicycles stupid?

Bicycles are good for your health and for the environment. It's the future of mankind.
    lol

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

I'm not really sure you're talking about hipsters anymore, honestly. Anyway, like I said in earlier posts, people around high school/college age are more susceptible to creating a specific image to sell themselves as cool. This is a concept as old as dirt.

A lot of the cynical, arrogant, contrived aspects of the hipster culture makes me think of Andy Warhol. There's something very Warhol-esque about the more image-conscious aspects of hipster culture.

The man predicted the future. He had no concept that You Tube would ever exist and declared that in the future everyone would be famous for fifteen minutes. Dude, the Internet wasn't even close to having been invented.

I think people will have varying degrees of interest in hipster culture and have different takes on it, it's something that has been around for YEARS now, so anyone who said it's fad that will pass apparently isn't aware that it's now been around so long it's become a complex sub-culture that's split into all kinds of different smaller sub-stratas.

I really don't comprehend the hostility toward it, I mean it's just kind of like hating hip hop culture. I just kind of feel like ...okay. It's not your thing.

Of course there are going to be petty, rich, superficial people who hold it as a kind of elitism over other people's heads. What else is new about pop culture?

I enjoy it the same way I'd enjoy anything else I enjoy aesthetically, and at least there's even something here I morally agree with.

I guess it is easier to be older and more separate from it. Besides, I'm actually old enough to buy PBR. It's a damn good cheap beer, especially in summer.

I had to try it just to see what everyone was talking about. It's better than Budweiser or Icehouse.
    I guess I feel pretty ambivalent about hipster culture in general, and it's just the ethos adopted by a smaller number of "hipsters" that I'm about. And based on your definition of hipster, I am one, so... I think you're right.

yeah, I hate Andy Warhol probably to the same extent that you hate Ayn Rand.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    lol
    You may laugh about it, but you know, promoting bikes is part of my job.
    I'm an urbanist, and my main current focus of research is the relationship between health and the built environment.

So bikes are definitely good for your health. When you compare the BMI ratio or the chance that somebody will die because of a cardiac issue or a stroke, between somebody who uses a bike on a daily basis and somebody who needs a car on a daily basis, the odds can be as high as 1 to 8.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Their music and clothes are awesome; their attitude, not so much.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

For me, the operative concept that separates "Hipsters" (in a derogatory sense) from just people who like indie rock and food trucks is affectation. Like Marm I like a lot of things typical of "hipster" culture. I think the derogatory sense of the term refers to someone who is just riding trends, feeling out whatever is "cutting edge" at a moment, and then discarding it when it becomes popular. I still like the shit when it gets popular. Also my husband has a terrific beard.

Edit: I don't mind being called or thought of as a hipster unless it's being used in a derogatory sense. If it's shorthand for "likes indie rock and food trucks," it's all good. But if it's shorthand for "affects trends to appear cutting edge," that isn't me. "I liked X before it was cool" is the poseur mantra; "I still like X after it got popular" is mine. I also still think lolcats are funny.

MBTI
    yupp

I like what I like and that's not going to change
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think it's cute and funny. It's not supposed to be an amazing musical accomplishment.

Better music that people associate with hipster culture is like Cat Power, the Xx, Santigold, MGMT, and Sleigh Bells. It's all good music, imo, at least the stuff that's actually caught on
    They were just sitting there in the water, complaining about smoking. I liked the one with the key and map, that was really awesome. I wish more people decided to just go find things and go on adventures.

MGMT I did not realize was hipster-sort of music. They're on the radio all the time.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge