Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    You seem to have missed the most important point of what I was trying to say. An idea is an idea. Dismissing an idea because of who came up with it is stupid. Would the point have been any different had the person who uttered the quote been omitted? I bet some of your reactions would have been.

Thank you for the background, though. I have read some of Rand's work, but it doesn't appeal to me greatly, though I found some of her ideas interesting.

Like I said, I can only hope that he was joking (or rather perhaps using hyperbole to express frustration). Even so, it's a stupid thing to say.
    Well my point in giving you her background is that I put quoting Ayn Rand about on par with quoting Charles Manson. It's really cute in high school, but by adulthood it tends to point to either pseudo-intellectualism or downright delusional narcissism in many cases.

I actually quoted Rand once in my signature a couple of years ago, but everyone knows how much I despise her.

I do get your point, if your point is that even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but an Ayn Rand quote standing alone, especially in a thread about hipster culture...was really just too much for me. Particularly since Rand pretty much represents anything that more ethical thinking hipsters despise.

MBTI
    XXFP

I don't understand it. Some people really identify with the label, for others it's just a fashion thing.

I get visceral enjoyment out of seeing different presentations, so I don't mind that there are people wearing funny things and riding colorful bikes out there. But the whole thing is still a bit odd to me. I was going to make a thread on the topic but never did, what subcultures do you know about?

Where I've been living on and off there are notably demarcated subcultures of hipsters, punks, preps, rednecks, and athletes with some amount of overlap. I do feel some discomfort not fitting into the categorization cleanly, not so much because I feel like it's really important for me (in of myself), but because I'm confused about how I'm being perceived.

I think that people who feel significant discomfort about such things might be more motivated to hop into one clear role or another.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    First, that music video was awful.
    I think it's cute and funny. It's not supposed to be an amazing musical accomplishment.

Better music that people associate with hipster culture is like Cat Power, the Xx, Santigold, MGMT, and Sleigh Bells. It's all good music, imo, at least the stuff that's actually caught on.

And of course a bunch of bands you've never heard of and neither have I, and that's the way they like it.

Here's a nice quintessential hipster video:

This is good music:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

there are several different breeds of hipster, plus they evolve to try not and fit the current mainstream hipster definition so it's hard to pinpoint. oakland is full of em though.

i kick their stupid bicycles.
    what is this? china?
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    for the most part I'm talking about what isn't pure-hearted and socially positive but what's cynical, arrogant and contrived. but then I'm pretty extreme when it comes to authenticity. I'm also really terrified by what's expressed here:

Maybe I'm more concerned than some of the others in this thread because, as a younger person, I've seen more of this among my peers? I'd assume that when many members were teenagers, social networking either didn't exist or didn't take nearly as much precedence in social life. Of course people who are 30+ may use social media extensively, but it probably didn't interfere with your interpersonal development as much as it has with my peers (late teens, early twenties).
    I'm not really sure you're talking about hipsters anymore, honestly. Anyway, like I said in earlier posts, people around high school/college age are more susceptible to creating a specific image to sell themselves as cool. This is a concept as old as dirt.

A lot of the cynical, arrogant, contrived aspects of the hipster culture makes me think of Andy Warhol. There's something very Warhol-esque about the more image-conscious aspects of hipster culture.

The man predicted the future. He had no concept that You Tube would ever exist and declared that in the future everyone would be famous for fifteen minutes. Dude, the Internet wasn't even close to having been invented.

I think people will have varying degrees of interest in hipster culture and have different takes on it, it's something that has been around for YEARS now, so anyone who said it's fad that will pass apparently isn't aware that it's now been around so long it's become a complex sub-culture that's split into all kinds of different smaller sub-stratas.

I really don't comprehend the hostility toward it, I mean it's just kind of like hating hip hop culture. I just kind of feel like ...okay. It's not your thing.

Of course there are going to be petty, rich, superficial people who hold it as a kind of elitism over other people's heads. What else is new about pop culture?

I enjoy it the same way I'd enjoy anything else I enjoy aesthetically, and at least there's even something here I morally agree with.

I guess it is easier to be older and more separate from it. Besides, I'm actually old enough to buy PBR. It's a damn good cheap beer, especially in summer.

I had to try it just to see what everyone was talking about. It's better than Budweiser or Icehouse.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You know what? I'M RIGHT. (What else is new)...seriously though, I finally just wikipedia'd hipster culture, to get the "srs internet analysis in easy to read summarized form" and it says it's basically the counter-culture that revolves around indie music since the 1990s. So yes, the real hipsters ARE ADULTS. That's why the youngest factions of it seem so contrived, because they're mimicking the natural subcultural evolution of younger Gen X and older Gen Y post-grunge and formulating it into a cohesive mainstream culture, complete with cultural identifiers like owning certain items.

The irony is a necessary and implicit part of it, because there's a kind of educated, cerebral self-awareness of what you're doing, and that is essentially picking and choosing fashion, music and art forms of all counter-cultures from the beat generation forward, so this gives it the ring of "inauthenticity" that of course there's a self-conscious element to building this stylistic world for yourself to live in.

It would essentially include anyone who listens to indie music, or who is seriously counter culture, fairly liberal and probably also into indie film and progressive politics.

This makes over half the people I know hipsters...but everyone talks about hipsters like they aren't one.

And that's why I enjoy my free and easy honesty of my enjoyment of hipster culture. Why am I not allowed to enjoy it? What is so offensive about it?

There are worse things. Like being a Randroid.

It seems like the people who probably talk the most shit about it are people who feel genuinely threatened by it (people who listen to a lot of mainstream pop and are more into Keeping Up With the Kardashians) and people who ARE ADULT HIPSTERS...who don't want to be thought of as such, because actually labeling themselves a hipster would be like giving up their own smug indie cred.

Marm's mostly right.

For music vids filled with hipsters frm around the world check out La Blogotheque.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Marm's mostly right.

For music vids filled with hipsters frm around the world check out La Blogotheque.
    Why thank you sir.

Here's what I'm thinking now, I'm thinking of being a hipster in terms of MBTI and enneagram, and probably the reason ISFPs are labeled as hipsters is because they have no trouble admitting they are hipsters, it's something that probably due to Fi individualized aesthetic interests and Se embracing of the present moment and things like art and style, that the ISFP on average has less of a problem with "playing with" hipster culture, they are probably simply less pretentious about it, seeing it as a kind of playground of new and fun stuff. Like how David Bowie kept changing his image. What's to feel ashamed about? It's art. It's culture. Whatever.

On the other hand, in terms of enneagram, type 4s are probably some of the biggest hipsters who are also most in denial about being hipsters because this is a challenge to their individuality and authenticity for someone to label them or point out to them that, yes indeed, there are other people who share your interests, get over yourself.

As a 6w7, I'm just like, okay, as long as they aren't taking it too far, I can hang with these people, they're fun, I don't mind being associated with them, because even if I experience elitism, I can feel elite as a group of "enlightened" or "creative" individuals who are "my kind of people." I don't feel the same need to protest that there's not anyone at all like me.

I kept getting this feeling that hipster culture reminded me of all my old friends in high school, and my ESFJ ex, and my old friends from Live Journal, and on and on.

It just seemed almost like some kind of mainstream, organized, updated version of everyone I know, as if what we were was distilled down into the new "cool."

And unlike many people though, I was more pleased than offended. We have gone mainstream. We are taking over. These are the kinds of thoughts I have.

These are very enneagram 6 sx/so thoughts, no doubt.

That's my E6 social instinct in effect.

But for an E4 this is probably horrible, it might even feel like someone raped their sense of uniqueness.

For me I'm just like "great, more people should watch Harmony Korine films."

I think it excites me to see all this stuff go mainstream, while it annoys other people. And to have it confirmed by external sources that what I suspected was basically true, makes me even happier.

I think it is because my Fi attaches such ethical importance to the hipster subculture, for example, the more people riding bikes instead of driving cars, the better for the environment and for battling political oil interests.

Stuff like that.

EDIT: I know what it is. I feel like already within my life time I'm seeing "a new normal." If being a hipster is mainstream, that means it's normal now to seek out real music, new music, independent film, buy from small business, shop at thrift stores, demand that even chain stores have more ethical business practices (American Apparel is much more ethical than a lot of those kinds of shops)...it's like I see evidence of the world getting better as I see fit.

Of course it won't be perfect. Of course it won't be ideal. Of course some "hipsters" will be asshat losers who would go along with any crowd and try to buy their way to popularity.

But this means that the new normal is liberal rather conservative, anti-corporate, and focused on something other than loud, talentless pop music.

What is there not to be happy about. My friends are trend setters. Life is good.

MBTI
    xxTP

Everyone follows some kind of style. There is nothing wrong with expressing yourself in the way you look.

I go more for a classic look of shirt, jeans, nice trainers or maybe shoes, short hair, clean shaven, watch, aftershave.

I don't think being indie is a bad look though, and I ahve got oads of friends who dress like htat.

For me hipsters are something else though: the ones who think they are anti-corporate but would screw you over in a second if they get the chance. Usually the biggest capitalists of all.

I work in Marketing and PR so I know what I am talking about I deal with these circles very regularly.