User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think thats interesting to do something that culls different "hip" cultural themes from trends other than the ones we see all around us. Those daily trends get annoying. Growing up in the 90s, I remember the obsession people had with grundge music, alternative music, Korn, and Marilyn Manson. Nowadays, everyone whos trendy tries to cultivate a "cheerful" image, with a flismy beard, uncombed, ungreased hair, and clothing with light and pastel tones. Anton Lavey said history was divided into periods of 9 years of action and 9 years of cosnequent reaction, and regardless of what you think of Lavey, all his predictions about society came true. He said that if something is "in" now, it will necessarily be "out" in 18 years or less. I like the cultural image of hard rock and dark imagery, Im not so digging today's pastel fashion at all, though Im slowly getting used to it, Im not sold. I think its good to be true to what resonates with your soul, whether it is in or out. I think people who resonate internally with the pastel trends in fashion today are probably getting a long overdue break - nevertheless I hope the break will soon be over.
    Well Lavey isnt saying much when he suggests that history is cyclical and goes through periods of expansion/contraction or degeneration/regeneration that's been conservative and even fascist, or maybe proto-fascist I dont know, thinking for a long time before he hit on it.

It wouldnt surprise me that there was something to it because there are cycles in nature and no matter how much mankind is able to stand apart from nature it still has some imprint upon us, I imagine anyway, I dont doubt the ideas about linear progress either, necessarily, but in things like style the patterns of rise and decline, innovation and tradition, probably do look like that.

Style and fashion interest me more than they used to.

Although I know that whatever I learn about them it doesnt change my appearence much.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well Lavey isnt saying much when he suggests that history is cyclical and goes through periods of expansion/contraction or degeneration/regeneration that's been conservative and even fascist, or maybe proto-fascist I dont know, thinking for a long time before he hit on it.

It wouldnt surprise me that there was something to it because there are cycles in nature and no matter how much mankind is able to stand apart from nature it still has some imprint upon us, I imagine anyway, I dont doubt the ideas about linear progress either, necessarily, but in things like style the patterns of rise and decline, innovation and tradition, probably do look like that.
    Pretty much. I think that whether we see time as cyclical or linear is kind of a matter of perception, since according to physics after all time is an illusion relative to the movemet of an object in space, since the Earth goes in cycles around the sun when studying nature it might be useful to think in cyclical terms, not sure how it applies to fashion though.

Print and Imprint, Square and Hip

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    there are cycles in nature and no matter how much mankind is able to stand apart from nature it still has some imprint upon us.
    Yes, for instance we are imprinted with the diurnal cycle and the menstrual cycle.

And we are imprinted with many other cycles, and cycles within cycles.

These cycles have been obscured from us by print which is linear and sequential, the opposite of cyclic.

But as we move into the electric world of Central, the influence of print falls away showing the imprint of cycles and cycles within cycles.

So sequential, linear print is becoming the content of the cyclic imprint.

Print becomes imprint.

So print is square, and imprint is hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Pretty much. I think that whether we see time as cyclical or linear is kind of a matter of perception, since according to physics after all time is an illusion relative to the movemet of an object in space, since the Earth goes in cycles around the sun when studying nature it might be useful to think in cyclical terms, not sure how it applies to fashion though.
    The rise and decline of particular styles I would associate with the rise and decline of demographic shifts, generations, populations.

MBTI
    ENTP

"hipster" art

"hipster" comedy

idk what anything mean anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

hipsters are a disgusting plague that has swept my country and rendered hordes of once attractive guys repulsive to look at. I miss the early 2000s when it was in to look like a preppy backstreet boy. people need to be more insecure about their looks again dammit!
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    (although politically and socially their core values are healthy and deeply ethical, and the way to the future, how can someone not see that)
    The more people get their hands on it, the less it will remain that way though. A by the numbers game of demographics usually points to the fact that the more people get involved in something, the more diluted it becomes.

Myself, i'm just generally out of the loop. It is a nice idea that such idealistic notions are being sold to the general public and those who otherwise would not consider them, without them knowing how influenced they are by the flow of popular culture.

I'm not saying there are not authentic, sincere people who engaged in such ideas and....the aethestics, long before it became a more mainstream idea, but the more mainstream it becomes, the more it will be influenced towards the "Get it quick, group it up and understand through generalities" crowd.

If it can be packaged and sold, it will be. Although like I said, i'm generally out of the loop; I'm about as cool as you can be at being uncool. However I am an observer nonetheless.

I tend to find sincerity is in thought an action, too many believe that it is in appearance. Although when I say this I am thinking generally rather than picking on hipsters.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Stansmith

I think I might be one.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Not this thread again. - ___ -