User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i think like all social spaces it's predicated on an ongoing balance between social games and cultural games.

what attracted me to hipsterdom, for a period, was that i liked the cultural game. it was good for me as an introvert. i could play it well. art and expression were important to me. individuality was important to me. but for me it was kind of academic, and it was also kind of aesthetic. the game wasn't strictly the signs themselves, it was a way of aligning that helped you articulate your own position in a space that was more conducive to you having the tools and range of possibilities to say what you wanted to say about yourself. even if the impetus to say something profound about yourself also could be suffocating and incredibly self-protective (hello e4!).

but the cultural game was more interesting, as far as youth oriented upper middle class white cultural games go, it was a space that had more worth salvaging to me than other ones. i mean, to be interested in sports, you have to accept tv commercials and curly fries. i also think it's loosely tied to lifestyle design beyond straight up, no holds barred, no shame socio-economic status markers. creativity still has a puncher's chance.

with all of this said, it's just a cultural game, and while it might help you brand yourself in various social spaces, it doesn't help you know or enjoy yourself more. it doesn't make your relationships more authentic, it just might help you signify them easier (which can be both a good and bad thing, but that's the market-driven, mass mediated culture we live in).

finally, there are actual, real effects to your favorite band blowing up. the community changes, and the community that a symbol binds is a big part of how the value is experienced and felt. seeing a different kind of show. it's a different experience, when the experience is never fully in the music itself but in the whole organic outgrowth centered on that. for many people, they just want smaller communities to be part of than the big space, arena projected ones.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post

Fixed. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    There is no denying that it's hip to be
    What's a triangle or square when you can be a circle? I mean, pointy edges, so mainstream, there are millions of shapes with pointy edges.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm in California, I don't even understand what a hipster is anymore. The concept is not very well bordered where I'm at.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Cause they're like, part of the system now, man. If the wrony people start listening to something, it's over.

I think this is the aspect of hipsterism that people find most objectionable. Myself included it. And it probably doesn't include a lot of the people that would be considered hipsters.
    That's what they satirised and slagged in the Simpsons, I can understand why people wouldnt like that because they are essentially seeking to set trends and then complaining when those trends, well, become trends, there's also a sort of general conceit and insincerity about it too.

A lot of this appears to remind me of a late nineties trend which I remember being refered to as the capucino commie brigade, which were people who drank fair trade products, smoked dope and slagged pretty much everyone else who did not, dont know if that was must a drop in the ocean and no one noticed it though.

Hipsters are ill defined though, that's for sure, and kind of an amalgamation of a lot of styles and trends, perhaps by its very nature if you're always adopting and dropping things that's what happens. It matters little to me now and even mattered little to me then but when I was in my teens I thought it was interesting that people tried to rebel against conformity and self-consciousness by adopting styles which had, usually, even stricter codes of dress and behaviour, I still would think that one or two of the people who I knew who typified such things were cool individuals.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Ayn Rand does not understand anything about creativity or the arts. Her position is similar to the totalitarian regimes concept of the function of the arts.

I agree that hipsters can be annoying, but they are definitely conformists. No one can conform to everything,

Edit: Just read the thread drama, and am not trying to perpetuate it. I almost deleted this post, but see people are already reading it. There are isolated ideas of Ayn Rand that sound rational, but I don't agree with her premises and the basic concepts underlying her ideas. I am comfortable concluding she doesn't understand the arts.

Edit 2: It's also possible that my husband and I are hipsters, but we are naturey and technologically driven to the exclusion of most else, but it would be hilarious if we actually fit the category.
    I havent seen much of the drama because, I presume, its people whose posts I dont read but I'd hope it wouldnt put you off posting, I'm interested in this topic, hence the OP, and want to learn from others opinions. The Rand quote could have been from anyone, I bet that I could find a dozen other people saying the same or broadly similar things if I put it in a search engine, I think Rand is BS though.

The whole nature and retro thing, I thought that hipsters were skinny jeans, pork pie hats, scarves which would look better on a lady on a man, even when its too warm really for a scarf and lots of other gender boundary cross styles? Or is that more of the metrosexual idea? I dont really like it either if that's the case.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I did think that when RATM got more popular and split and went through different incarnations and finally reformed I felt a lot different about the band than I had originally. The same thing happened with Smashing Pumpkins.

Although bands try to reinvent themselves and entice new followings so that happens, and a lot more rapidly these days than ever before, listening to some of the bands which younger people are listening to now I'm struck by how the CDs or playlists seem to contain a lof ot variety, like the artists are trying a scatter gun effect to see if any of it "hits the barn".

I dont like that but I sort of see it as linked with the hypermedia, possibly even production and innovation capacities or potential driving pace of change, making it more rapid and constant.

I think thats interesting to do something that culls different "hip" cultural themes from trends other than the ones we see all around us. Those daily trends get annoying. Growing up in the 90s, I remember the obsession people had with grundge music, alternative music, Korn, and Marilyn Manson. Nowadays, everyone whos trendy tries to cultivate a "cheerful" image, with a flismy beard, uncombed, ungreased hair, and clothing with light and pastel tones. Anton Lavey said history was divided into periods of 9 years of action and 9 years of cosnequent reaction, and regardless of what you think of Lavey, all his predictions about society came true. He said that if something is "in" now, it will necessarily be "out" in 18 years or less. I like the cultural image of hard rock and dark imagery, Im not so digging today's pastel fashion at all, though Im slowly getting used to it, Im not sold. I think its good to be true to what resonates with your soul, whether it is in or out. I think people who resonate internally with the pastel trends in fashion today are probably getting a long overdue break - nevertheless I hope the break will soon be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think thats interesting to do something that culls different "hip" cultural themes.
    Mbti is a cultural theme of today, in fact top mavens have been sent to Syria to persuade them their problem is personality conflicts, which can be resolved with the studious application of personality types.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm in California, I don't even understand what a hipster is anymore. The concept is not very well bordered where I'm at.
    I still like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I don't consider hipsterdom much anymore.

http://rookiemag.com/2012/01/how-to-...-think-of-you/
    "What such people don’t get is that most people who like more obscure music or wear vintage clothes don’t think of themselves as artsy, they’re just exploring and trying to define their taste instead of being someone who likes whatever is handed to them so they’re not mistaken for pretentious. I don’t like the term hipster—I think it’s become so broad as to apply to basically everyone—but the defining quality is that a hipster thinks and cares about what their tastes say about them, instead of just liking what they like. And so there is nothing more hipster than a person who decides that the only reason another person is wearing a colorful dress is that they’re concerned with what that dress means for their image. It’s hipster to give a shit if other people are hipsters or not; this is why people who claim they’re not hipsters are the most hipster of all, because they’re thinking that hard about it, and caring that much about what other people think."
    then there is the other side http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...pleasures.html
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism