User Tag List

Thread: So if you decided you didnt want to aid and abet tax dodgers anymore....

Default So if you decided you didnt want to aid and abet tax dodgers anymore....

Could you actually do it?

I mean Google, Apple and Starbucks have all said pretty much that they're going to dodge every tax they can, play states off against one another, and dont want to bankroll anything if they can help it, none of this surprises me, that some of the politicians really believed that if they worked out generously low tax regimes for these global giants during good times that they'd pay their share during hard times seems wonderfully naive if it can be believed at all.

The discussion which Ed Milliband was trying to open up in response to Google's execs saying it was "just capitalism", that what's needed instead of this mindset was a Just Capitalism (see what he did there? One meaning of "just" being "simply is" and another just related to justice or at least not unjust or injust) is bogus and tired.

However, if you decide that personally you're not interested in giving any business to companies or execs who have views like this is it even possible to do so? Does your choices as a consumer, potential employee etc. really stack up or worry any of these sorts of firms at all? They arent worried about the political elites that's for sure, they arent worried about election results, so could they be worried about anything else?

Is the world just slouching slowly towards the sort of capitalist dictatorship which Rand dreamt of?

morose bourgeoisie Array

Go hang out with the hippies in southern Oregon. They'll show you how to do it.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

I think it would be hard to rouse the necessary number of people, (as it always is unfortunately), to actually have an impact on such 'global giants' as you put it. People are just too comfortable.

I personally see people resorting to more drastic and visible methods to get their point across about such issues.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Senior Member Array

You couldn't possibly avoid buying a product or service from a company that 'dodges' taxes. All corporations and individuals are tax-dodgers to one degree or another.

If you really want to effect change you should elect politicians who campaign for simplifying tax codes and getting rid of the loopholes, credits and exemptions that make tax-dodging possible.