User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I find this to be an absolutely crazy assertion.
    That's what I'm saying entirely!! Even if it *was* motivated by anti-gay sentiment, they are still legally in the right. The motivations for pressing charges does not matter. There are laws preventing legal adults from having intercourse with those less than adults in nature. The law is not going to waiver and change just because they're of the same sex. That woman was not fighting for all those guys that had sex with too-young women. She couldn't have cared less about this law before her daughter was the one violating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm sorry, I haven't kept up with the thread, but I just found a PDF with the official affadavit, so I thought I'd toss it in here. There's been so much confusion (even on my part) about the facts and the ages at various points in time, so here's this if no one else has seen it yet. ....

Yes, the 14 year old was a willing participant, but that's the kind of situation the law was created to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I actually had this happen to me when I was 13. You could say I was a willing participant, or you could say I had no idea about anything and just sort of did what was suggested, because that's what I was conditioned to do, as a child. I don't advocate this experience for any 13-14 year old. The divide between 14 and 18 is huge.
    I definitely agree. My sister's mental position at the age of 19 is so vastly different from when she was 14-15. She's changed so much in that time. I am almost certain she was engaging in sexual activity at 13-14, but it is hard for me to imagine she was actually ready for that stuff at that age. She was so immature and impulsive with every other aspect of her life.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That was a really dumb move if this is true:

The plea deal from the Indian River County prosecutor's office would have required Hunt to plead no contest to child abuse, spend two years "on community control," which usually involves strict supervision, followed by one year of probation.

"The office of State Attorney Bruce Colton said it tendered an "extremely lenient plea offer in this case which would have ensured that the defendant avoided any term of incarceration and the stigma of being labeled a sex offender.

"In fact, in all probability the defendant would have avoided being a convicted felon," the statement continued. Colton will prepare for a mid-July trial.
    I feel sorry that the girl didn't take it. Don't know if it was pressure from her parents or impulse on her own.. but this would have been the easiest solution. There is a difference between what you morally know in your heart and what you tell courts. No contest is not guilty in court. People just seem to forget that.

Hunt was charged with two felony counts of lewd and lascivious battery after the parents of the 14-year-old went to authorities. Hunt's family says their relationship was consensual, but in Florida a person under the age of 16 is not legally able to give consent to sex.
    Even sadder to think that she didn't even need to wait until 18. She only needed to wait two years for the girl to be able to consent. It couldn't have been such a strong relationship in this sense.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Socionics
    ESI None

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I find it funny how many consider a 15 year old and 18 year old having sex a bigger deal than someone robbing a gas station. the former loses you all your job prospects and brands you a creepy sexual deviant while the latter just gets you thrown in jail for a few years.
    if you ask me, there's nothing wrong with a 15 year old and an 18 year old having sex to begin with. it's not like consenting sex (with someone only 3 year older than you) is some traumatic experience that's going to scar you for life. priorities people. good grief!
    So called statutory rape always seemed to me like the most ridicoulous facet of American law.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Wait a second...were they caught having sex?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think they recorded them talking about having sex on the phone.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think they recorded them talking about having sex on the phone.
    You mean, as in planning to have sex? Or talking about a time when they already did have sex?

Where are you guys getting these details? The articles I've been reading are woefully deficient.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

A phone call where they talked about having had sex in the past.

http://www.advocate.com/women/2013/0...-had-no-choice

There's a video clip in there with excerpts from the phone call. I haven't watched it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Well, she's fucked.

She's eligible for Romeo & Juliet law in the state of Florida...so that's one good thing for her.

I don't agree with ruining people's lives over such behavior, though, and if I were the younger girl's parents I would look into what I was failing to do to prevent the relationship (if I felt it needed preventing at all) rather than prosecuting the other kid. That applies even if the offending party were a male, too.

MBTI
    INTP

Cafe and Jennifer: Minors can vote and they do indeed vote.
    The legal age was pushed down so that the politicians could get the minors' votes!
    They were minors before the legal age was pushed down. They are still minors.
    Now they are supposedly adults. A changed law doesn't make teen-agers adults.
    Emotionally and mentally, teen-agers are children.
    When the legal age was 21, it protected the teen-agers. You could not throw them to jail for being "adults."

The law said Jews were sub-human in Nazi Germany. Did the law make the Jews sub-human?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not a parent, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think pressing charges against your child's boyfriend/girlfriend is definitely going to hurt your own child. I mean, if I were the 14-year-old, I would feel like I did something very wrong and got someone I cared about in serious trouble. I would not see myself as the victim (which I don't think she is, in this case) and would be seriously mad at my parents. Not to mention how my school/social life would be ruined forever by turning this into a huge scandal.

If I understand correctly, the 14-year-old was found 'missing' after her parents said she could not see the 18-year-old anymore. Clearly the girl did not understand why, so there must have been communication issues in the family. Perhaps a better way to approach it is to talk to the 18-year-old's parents and get them involved.

I don't know -- pressing charges just seems harsh and perhaps even vindictive, and it's sending your kid the wrong message: either "You did something very bad" or "You are a victim of a sex predator". And for some reason I feel like it's saying "Well, you didn't listen to us. So, we are going to go find a better authority: the law!" Great. Now you've just destroyed trust in the family, and potentially destroyed all good memories of your child's 'first love'. If I were 14, I'd be traumatized.
    4w5 sp/sx EII