User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm still uncomfortable with that sort of a mindset and I will be until the day I die, if you're seriously going to give up thinking, seriously just going to go with emoting your way through life, you're as good as dead or some lower order of the animals.

I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post

Acting clever on a forum isnt any substitute for thinking either but you know. I'm going to stop fufilling you and the others need for a hate figure to rally around now.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

The lack of thinking in this post reflects a wider unwillingness to think too hard about this topic or any other topic to be honest, its a major, major part of the reason why reading that BBC piece at all bothered me, there's very little thinking goes into any topic at all in reportage or popular discourse, instead its just emoting and more than a little bit of anger at anything threatening to disturb the apathetic stillness.

I'm still uncomfortable with that sort of a mindset and I will be until the day I die, if you're seriously going to give up thinking, seriously just going to go with emoting your way through life, you're as good as dead or some lower order of the animals.
    It's interesting what people believe they understand about others. On the subject of thinking, for example, what qualifies you to dictate what thinking is and how others fall short of that mark?

Was my post emotive? Or were you projecting an emotion onto it? Did you know my mind state at the time of posting? How do you know that the post was not facetious?

In any case these are some worthwhile ad hominems at least. The original point raised in this topic did not fly past my head, there are certainly examples of what I would a 'blandinising' of culture in the world today. But this particular subject does not appear to be an example of this.

There are plenty of policies I disagree with, this one is not one of them. Primarily because, apart from some angry people who wish to define on their own terms what the definition of marriage is merely because that was what it had always been, this really does not affect anyone in a particularly negative manner.

I understand the notion that there are those who take such ideas and run with them as a blanket for all contexts, regardless of how irrational and ridiculous that idea is, but occasionally it has a decent purpose. Does that mean it should be adhered to at all areas? No, but at the same time it also isn't completely useless. There is a subtlety to this.

Throwing out the baby with the bathwater doesn't make you logical or correct it makes you assumptive.

I also don't think people are going to start claiming that heterosexuality and homosexuality are LITERALLY the same. But the differences are somewhat minor on a biological level, they only seem to matter to people on a social one.

Finally it's interesting to note that this is a change and examine whether or not there is actually a problem here, endemic of a wider issue, or if some people are merely frightened of change.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I cant wait for them to follow it with some legislation on gravity.

I dont believe that government should be able to capraciously meddle with whatever it feels like MP and to be honest since I thought you werent an big fan of totalitarianism I'd have suspected you to feel the same way, although given that marriage is one of those fundamental cornerstones of society its not something that government can safely ignore either, and I'd have thought you'd recognise that too.
    Lark, I made two fundamentally non-totalitarian statements in that post. I said everybody should be given a choice, and I suggested that marriage be removed from the concern of the government altogether. To say that marriage (including it's definition) should be the legal domain of the government, and that the government should decide what citizen can and can't marry, is more totalitarian.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I cant wait for them to follow it with some legislation on gravity.
    Are you implying that gravity and marriage both belong to the same category of concept?

Or, to make it short, are you implying (over and over again) that gay marriage is unnatural?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Why do I see arguments against gay marriage based on religious tradition, but no arguments in favor of polygamy? A lot of righteous, godly people in the Bible had multiple wives. How many monogamous marriages are there in the Bible? I'm having a hard time thinking of any.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    As the title of the OP's linked article reads, there certainly has been "Too much time spent on gay marriage." Legislatures should just approve it already and be done with it, so they can move on to things that don't have such a straightforward and obvious solution. A civil partnership is all the government should be providing to anyone, gay or straight, regardless of what we choose to call it. Every adult should have the right to designate one life partner of his/her choice. Period. OK, this denies legal sanction to polyamorous relationships, but that has obvious financial ramifications that don't pertain to monogamous gay relationships, so one step at a time. Anything beyond civil (i.e. legal) recognition is not the government's to give. That comes from churches, cultural groups, familes, friends, etc. The law should not say anything about that.
    Nicely said. It's like black or female rights; it's insensible that so much time had to be spent on acquiring them, but that's not really the fault of the people who were being marginalized.

Aside from that, the OP really doesn't deserve any more response time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis
    As the title of the OP's linked article reads, there certainly has been "Too much time spent on gay marriage." Legislatures should just approve it already and be done with it, so they can move on to things that don't have such a straightforward and obvious solution.
    What do you think will happen then?
    Well, they could then direct their attention to unemployment, taxation, internet privacy, terrorism, and a host of other current issues. Perhaps they could even solve one or two.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, you crossed a line with this and I believe you really ought to think about it.
    ...just as you should think about the things you say and imply about homosexual people who were BORN THAT WAY.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    He's clearly saying that the options of marriage or civil union should be available to all- not that everyone should choose the same thing. How is allowing both options for anyone that wants them in any way contrary to diversity or respecting other ways of life?
    I think that this is the heart of the issue. I really want to hear what @Lark thinks about this line of thought, because it's the point-of-view I tend to see the issue from, and I doubt I'm the only one that has a difficult time understanding the process and rationale behind other points of view. Surely there is room for civil yet active discourse on the issue.

Also, @fia, I liked the metaphor reframing.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug