User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It's never easy for disabled people to get a reliable job. If it helps them, then why should we judge people who use them?

It's something done between consenting adults, you know.
    That's where I found the positive in this... At least the handicapped person is supplementing their disability income, as well as enjoying themselves at Disney...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's a silver lining, sure. I don't think the fact that people in difficult situations can often find other people willing to exploit them for money absolves the exploiters, though.

At least hanging out in Disney World can be pretty fun, so as exploitation goes, at least it's pleasant. I'm guessing they get their meals paid for in the parks too.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That's a silver lining, sure. I don't think the fact that people in difficult situations can often find other people willing to exploit them for money absolves the exploiters, though.

At least hanging out in Disney World can be pretty fun, so as exploitation goes, at least it's pleasant. I'm guessing they get their meals paid for in the parks too.
    Everytime you sign an employment contract, you're about to be exploited. Welcome to capitalism! Welcome to the real world!

What really amazed me when I read the reactions here, is that everybody seemed to focus on the "rich mom and her spoiled brat", while nobody tried to understand the handicapped person's point of view. Such reactions say a lot about common hypocrisy and jealousy amongst common people. Nobody tried to be realistic.

-----

It's making me think to the situation of North African workers hired in Spanish farms in Andalusia, to bring us fresh fruits and vegetables in winter (at least in rich Western Europe). Of course they are ruthlessly exploited. But when you know that unemployment in Morocco is about 30%, that Illiteracy rate is about 40% there, and that 25% of Moroccan people manage to "live" with less than one dollar a day... For them, such jobs represent an incredible opportunity.

I'm not saying it's fair. I'm not saying it's right.

But am I the only one who sense a kind of hypocrisy when I hear people yelling against exploitation? Do they know what an African slum is? Do they know what being handicapped means?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

^This was my reaction.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Lmao. I honestly find it brillant.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

You know, if you're browsing the forum 'home' page and scroll past this thread quickly it looks like it says "Rich moms are handicapped..."

MBTI
    yupp

I told my room mate about this who has a severly handicapped sister, and she's like yeah that's how it is, thinking that i said they had family members that were disabled, when I was saying they were exploiting people, i'm still not sure if she got it after that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

garbage

Also -- if this proliferates, and if that, in turn, winds up costing Disney money, Disney would probably change its system.

That second "if" is a big "if," though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i mean, they are getting paid for it right? seems like a win-win situation to everyone but the people stuck behind them in line

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Does this pay well?

In all seriousness, this does raise some important questions: Is it unfair and/or inherently bad that people are hiring others for this purpose? If it is, how do we take proper action, eliminating the advantage being gained by the persons hiring without causing undue hardship for the disabled persons trying to make a living?
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug