User Tag List

First 234

Man, I had no idea tornadoes are that racist. I thought they just hated people who live in trailer parks.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Man, I had no idea tornadoes are that racist. I thought they just hated people who live in trailer parks.
    They basically hate middle/southern America. I don't know why, either.

I'm interested in any other conclusions people could draw from those demographics. Like I said, just for fun. It's obviously not pinpoint accurate, but I enjoy ridiculous theorizing for the hell of it.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

The map is pretty and the tweets are purportedly 'normalized' (it's not clear what for) but it's hard to take this seriously in any way. Too many unknowns about their methodology and too narrow a sample size and scope. E.g. there's a big red dot centered right over Twin Falls, Idaho. Are the people of Twin Falls all that racist, or is there one kook out there from Twin Falls who is so overwhelmingly racist alone that the map ended up with a big red dot over Twin Falls?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    The map is pretty and the tweets are purportedly 'normalized' (it's not clear what for) but it's hard to take this seriously in any way. Too many unknowns about their methodology and too narrow a sample size and scope. E.g. there's a big red dot centered right over Twin Falls, Idaho. Are the people of Twin Falls all that racist, or is there one kook out there from Twin Falls who is so overwhelmingly racist alone that the map ended up with a big red dot over Twin Falls?
    Mormons...
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

http://www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-ID.html

39% LDS, 18% Catholic, 6% Lutheran. The rest is covered by tiny percentages of other religions.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Here's what the "details" says:

The Geography of Hate is part of a larger project by Dr. Monica Stephens of Humboldt State University (HSU) identifying the geographic origins of online hate speech. Undergraduate students Amelia Egle, Matthew Eiben and Miles Ross, worked to produce the data and this map as part of Dr. Stephens' Advanced Cartography course at Humboldt State University.

The data behind this map is based on every geocoded tweet in the United States from June 2012 - April 2013 containing one of the 'hate words'. This equated to over 150,000 tweets and was drawn from the DOLLY project based at the University of Kentucky. Because algorithmic sentiment analysis would automatically classify any tweet containing 'hate words' as "negative," this project relied upon the HSU students to read the entirety of tweet and classify it as positive, neutral or negative based on a predefined rubric. Only those tweets that were identified by human readers as negative were used in this analysis.

To produce the map all tweets containing each 'hate word' were aggregated to the county level and normalized by the total twitter traffic in each county. Counties were reduced to their centroids and assigned a weight derived from this normalization process. This was used to generate a heat map that demonstrates the variability in the frequency of hateful tweets relative to all tweets over space. Where there is a larger proportion of negative tweets referencing a particular 'hate word' the region appears red on the map, where the proportion is moderate, the word was used less (although still more than the national average) and appears a pale blue on the map. Areas without shading indicate places that have a lower proportion of negative tweets relative to the national average.

The numbers that appear in the map during a mouse hover indicate the total number of hateful tweets and number of unique users sending them in each county.

Read more about the research and methods behind this project at www.FloatingSheep.org.

Funding was provided by the University Research and Creative Activities Fellowship at Humboldt State University. Twitter data was obtained from the DOLLY project at University of Kentucky.

This map was built on the Google Maps API.
    So, sounds like population density shouldn't matter (which helps explain why some population centers are way under-represented and other are over-represented), since it's just the proportion of derogatory tweets in a country to all tweets in that country that was considered. It also sounds like they paid students to manually discard the non-derogatory tweets. The www.FloatingSheep.org link has more details, but doesn't contain the exact criteria used for the "derogatory/non-deratory" valuation.

I would hope the people doing the derogatory/non-deratory valuations were unaware of the source location of the tweets, so as not to skew things because of bias.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The interesting thing about those random maps you brought up is the idea of a Northern Bible Belt, which I had never heard of before, but, given the data on the map, makes sense.

Of course, I think the denominations in the Northern and Southern Bible belt would be quite different. The Southern Belt, I'd expect, would have a lot of baptists/ "nondenominational" protestants, while the Northern belt would be dominated by Catholics to the east, and Lutherans to the west.

I also wonder if it might be more useful to set a threshold for church attendance per year/month, and use that to collect adherents, rather than simple self-identification. If one region of the country attends church yearly, while another group only attends it a few times per year, that would be hidden on that map.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my city apparently hasn't learned to tweet yet! either that or we just don't give a fuck... always an option... though according to a study I read recently, we're the most integrated city in the US
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett