User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Idealatious View Post
    Well, it says "tweets negatively referring to "homo."" Not sure how they classified the tweets, but hey. Although to be honest, I can't see how you could say "homo" in a non-homophobic manner??
    Exactly what Ivy said, and I said the exact phrase myself in a joking manner months ago. It's just an abbreviation of the technical term homosexual.

It's not like "fag". And even then, that word seems to have lost a good part of its former offensive potential. The slang macfag seems to corroborate that - no one would hate me for saying it.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    There's that saying "no homo" which I think is kind of crappy, but I don't really think everyone who has ever said it is a homophobe. It's a memetic slang term and not everyone dissects their slang like us nerds do. I think there are probably a lot of people who are otherwise supportive of gay rights and whatnot who just think of "no homo" as "what you say after you pay another guy a compliment." (I say guy because it doesn't seem to be something women really say except ironically.)
    I agree that people who say "no homo" aren't necessarily homophobes. However, I think the phrase and it's origin are reflective of a homophobic society. I think words/phrases can be homophobic in a social context regardless of individual meaning/intent on the part of the speaker. A non-homophobic slang term equivalent of "no homo" would express the idea "I am not attracted to you" rather than "I am not attracted to people of your gender (implied: because that would be a bad thing if I were)."

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    It's not like "fag". And even then, that word seems to have lost a good part of its former offensive potential. The slang macfag seems to corroborate that - no one would hate me for saying it.
    I know two lesbians who would probably hate anyone who used that term (unless the speaker was gay, in one of their cases) and one gay guy who probably wouldn't care at all. So... differing opinions, I'd guess. Sure, the fact that it's used in slang might indicate that the word has lost some of its negative associations - but it also might indicate that our society is homophobic. Or it might indicate that our society likes offensive slang... or something else entirely.

Of course, the way we use terms says a lot. And it's possible that the study used some way to determine whether the term was being used in a negative way (but I don't feel like researching it? It's not like you can show all that much using a study based on twitter, anyway) If you're calling someone a homophobic slur, even if it's a joke... I would argue that the word/its associations/its historical context is still homophobic, even if the speaker is not homophobic. Of course, there are levels of heterosexism/homophobia, and sure, it probably ranks on a low level of homophobia (associations of gay = bad, rather than outright wanting to kill gay people).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You won't get any argument from me about "no homo" being the product of an undercurrent of homophobia in our culture. I've schooled my nephew about that when I've heard him say it. My nephew's 12 and just says shit he thinks is funny without really thinking it through, though. I don't think he's a budding homophobe- he just hasn't really worked it all out yet. Nobody has at 12. And he tweets, so his tweets were included in this study, so if he ever tweeted "no homo" then that was considered a "hateful tweet" out of NC. It's true that it's still pretty much a slur, and I don't mean to minimize that, but I do think that's an important distinction to make, since the impression this map gives is that "where the red parts are, that's where people who hate gay people live."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html
    there s a sexuality test below if you want to try it "Sexuality ('Gay - Straight' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to distinguish words and symbols representing gay and straight people. It often reveals an automatic preference for straight relative to gay people."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html
    there s a sexuality test below if you want to try it "Sexuality ('Gay - Straight' IAT). This IAT requires the ability to distinguish words and symbols representing gay and straight people. It often reveals an automatic preference for straight relative to gay people."
    Awesome. Thanks!
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's true that it's still pretty much a slur, and I don't mean to minimize that, but I do think that's an important distinction to make, since the impression this map gives is that "where the red parts are, that's where people who hate gay people live."
    Fair enough!

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It's an absurd map, since it seems entirely correlated with population density.
    Initially this observation seemed accurate.

Upon further inspection I see Los Angeles (10 million "greater LA area"), Orange & San Diego Counties (3 million each), The Bay Area (20 million) as being mostly light blue. Additionally, Iowa with a total state pop of 3 mil and also where I grew up, is mostly red. I also think that East coasters are more provincial (yes, a hunch) and willing to use whatever means necessary to differentiate themselves, including hate speech. Boston vs. New York vs. New Jersey, Mets vs. Yankees etc.

I would be curious to see this map with population densities being taken into consideration though.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Im surpsised soCal has so little hate yet so many people.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Im surpsised soCal has so little hate yet so many people.
    Right. Additionally the only slightly red spot in the bay area is approximately where Oakland would be. Having lived next door in Alameda for a year I know it's predominately minority with blacks on top. Perhaps the numbers are high due to one black saying to another "Nigga please... (insert comment)" and thereby registering the remark as "hate".
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default (I'm going to hell, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    correlations, anyone?

Disclaimer- this is all in fun, being butthurt by this would be absurd.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.