User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Scandalous

Default Scandalous

So, on Friday I was wondering what it was going to take for the party loyal to demand some accountability from Obama's administration after John Stewart continued to pile on conservatives with regards to Benghazi despite the fact that other liberal leaning news commentators were starting to take Benghazi seriously.

Well I don't have to wonder anymore.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...-into-darkness
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP

The last part was my favorite.

Edit: I was contemplating starting a thread about all the scandals, but I just couldn't get up the energy after realizing I would be obligated to debate multiple people about three separate political scandals.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

"Sorry, I'm not good at math."

Oh flark, that's just TOOOOOO funny.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Just a reminder...

Stewart did happen to find the two members of the GOP who have absolutely no right to criticize Obama.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...sfeld---cheney

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    "Sorry, I'm not good at math."

Oh flark, that's just TOOOOOO funny.
    I know, right?

In fairness she's probably a lawyer as she deals with nonprofit legal issues, but still... it's the IRS.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I know, right?

In fairness she's probably a lawyer as she deals with nonprofit legal issues, but still... it's the IRS.
    Yeah.

Her background is listed here:

Lerner was appointed as head of the IRS Exempt Organizations Division during the Bush administration, in 2006. She served as director the IRS Exempt Organizations Rulings and Agreements Division for four years before that. A graduate of Boston’s Northeastern University and Western New England College of Law in Springfield, Mass., Lerner began her legal career as a staff attorney in the Department of Justice’s criminal division before joining the Federal Election Commission as an assistant general counsel in 1981. She spent 20 years at the FEC, where she was appointed head of the Enforcement Division in 1986 and then acting general counsel for six months in 2001.

Larry Noble, who served as general counsel at the FEC from 1987 to 2000, was involved in hiring and promoting Lerner. “I worked with Lois for a number of years and she is really one of the more apolitical people I’ve met,” Noble told The Daily Beast. “That doesn’t mean she doesn’t have political views, but she really focuses on the job and what the rules are. She doesn’t have an agenda. “Reporters grew frustrated with Lerner during a conference call last Friday, when she appeared reluctant to answer most of their questions. She seemed to dig herself into a deeper hole by acknowledging that she is “not good at math” when asked for a statistic, and she said she would not have publicly acknowledged her employees’ wrongdoing if she hadn’t been asked about it directly—further fueling the argument that the focus on conservative groups was politically motivated. Noble attributes Lerner’s discretion not to a coverup but to her rule-abiding nature.

“It does not surprise me that she would play it very close to the line in terms of what she would say publicly or what her organization would allow her to say,” he said. “The IRS is not a public-disclosure organization, and she has always been very conscientious of what she can and cannot say.”
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...political.html

Well, I can identify a little with that. I work for SSA and we're pretty tight-lipped here in regards to disclosure of certain types of information. Have to maintain control over PIDs or you could lose your job -- same thing if you happen to look up information for celebrities or relatives.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

As a republican the GOP over playing their hand and picking and choosing what they are pissed off at is just as discouraging as the scandals themselves.

Likewise I wish Dems had the sense of Conor Friedersdorf instead of the partisanship of Andrew Sullivan.

Prompted by Peggy Noonan's claim in The Wall Street Journal that "we are in the midst of the worst Washington scandal since Watergate," Andrew Sullivan steps forward to defend Pres. Obama's honor. "Can she actually believe this?," he asks incredulously. "Has this president broken the law, lied under oath, or authorized war crimes? Has he traded arms for hostages with Iran? Has he knowingly sent his cabinet out to tell lies about his sex life? Has he sat by idly as an American city was destroyed by a hurricane? Has he started a war with no planning for an occupation? Has he started a war based on a lie, and destroyed the US' credibility and moral standing while he was at it, leaving nothing but a smoldering and now rekindled civil sectarian war?"

Sullivan hasn't internalized the worst of what Obama's done, because his notion of scandal is implicitly constrained by whatever a president's partisan opponents tout as scandalous. If they criticize Obama wrongly, he defends Obama proportionately.

Has he ordered the assassination of any American citizens in secret without due process? Did he kill any of their teenage kids without ever explaining how or why that happened?*

Has he refused to reveal even the legal reasoning he used to conclude his targeted killing program is lawful?

Has he waged an unprecedented war on whistleblowers?

Has he spied on millions of innocent Americans without a warrant or probable cause?

Does he automatically count dead military-aged males killed by U.S. drones as "militants"?

Did he "sign a bill that enshrines in law the previously merely alleged executive power of indefinite detention without trial of terror suspects"?

There is more, as Sullivan knows, and it all amounts to a scandalous presidency, even if it happens that few Republicans care about the most scandalous behavior, and have instead spent almost a year* now obsessing about Benghazi.

At the New York Times, Mother Jones, The New Yorker, and beyond, exceptional journalists take great care to document alarming abuses against the rule of law, the separation of powers, transparency, and human rights perpetrated by the Obama Administration. On a given subject, the coverage leaves me awed and proud to be part of the same profession. But when it comes time for synthesis, bad heuristics take over. Confronted with the opportunism and absurdity of the GOP, Obama's sins are forgiven, as if he should be graded on a curve. His sins are forgotten, as if "this president has done nothing illegal, unethical or even wrong."

Yes. He. Has.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...gnored/275960/

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah.

Her background is listed here:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...political.html

Well, I can identify a little with that. I work for SSA and we're pretty tight-lipped here in regards to disclosure of certain types of information. Have to maintain control over PIDs or you could lose your job -- same thing if you happen to look up information for celebrities or relatives.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but there's a difference between being tight-lipped to protect people's privacy and being tight-lipped to cover-up someone's politically motivated misdeeds. I understand this is the press she's talking to, but unfortunately such is the situation that the people can't really trust that she'll be close-lipped with the press, but candid with the DOJ... or if she is candid with the DOJ that the DOJ can be trusted to follow through. This is what makes both of these scandals coming out simultaneously so difficult.

This just gets worst everyday.

The Washington Post published an explosive story about the Justice Department's monitoring of James Rosen, a Fox News reporter based in Washington. Rosen allegedly spoke to Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, a State Department contractor, for a story about North Korea's nuclear program. The Justice Department charged Kim with violating the Espionage Act for his contact with Rosen.

Kim's case has already been condemned by critics of the White House's hyper-aggressive approach to leaks, but the details of the DOJ's tracking of Rosen have not been known until now.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0....html?ir=Media

It's pretty clear this has nothing to do with a real concern about security and criminal action. There's a wash post story somewhere that explains that the AP was sitting on the foiled terrorist attack story for four days and broke the story just ahead of a scheduled Obama anouncement of the story. So it had nothing to do with security and everything to do with the press getting in the way of Obama scoring more approval points.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm just kind of sick of both sides pissing away time and energy and resources in an attempt to derail each other, there are more important things to be dealing with, although I see a lot of pattern here in how the 'pubs basically pissed and moan when Hillary attempted to deal with health insurance in 1995 and then tried to make Clinton's second term about his affair instead of just giving it what attention it was due and then moving on. This isn't really about "fighting corruption," it's about trying to dig up whatever dirt you can on someone else and positioning yourself in a way to make them look worse.

(Note: I never voted for Bill in any election, but I wished people would just grow up.)

They're lucky we don't have capital punishment for crooked politicians, or they'd be buried out back behind the chemical sheds.