User Tag List

12311 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default What if everyone had a gun?

So, lets take the libertarian standpoint on gun control. I don't care if you agree or disagree with gun control, with the advent of 3d printing and weapons, all citizens will have the ability to create a gun if they so choose.

So lets assume every citizen has a gun and the government has relinquished federal gun control laws. How would society be different? Would private businesses be capable of protecting themselves against armed citizens?

your resident asshole

Guns seem to have been more prevalent back in the day, and I don't think it caused too much trouble. Then again, I wasn't there, so I wouldn't know.

I would imagine we'd be seeing a lot more vigilante justice. Some view this as good and others might see it as a good thing. A rise in firearm accidents would also likely happen. Unfortunately, causing even more deaths.

The issue of gun control is a bit of a double-edged sword. The higher the regulations, the more likely that only the "bad guys" will own them and people don't have a way to defend themselves from them. On the other hand, if the regulations are too loose, we now have too many people owning guns. Mad and crazy people have more of a way to hurt others. Then again, more people will also be able to protect themselves because they also have guns.

Anyone who claims to know the best solution is just kidding themselves. I fall under the crowd who would appreciate higher gun regulation, but I do not claim that it solves all problems.

A while back, the town of Kennesaw, GA required each household to have a gun. The crime rate promptly plummeted. Now, that's not to say the same results would hold on a macro scale. In fact, I'd say it's probably unlikely. But it's interesting. Before attempting a crime, you'd have to consider that your victim is likely armed.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

we'd be screwed
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Wait until your mark/target/antagonist has his back turned and then shoot him. Ideally do it where there are no witnesses. Having a gun does not give someone Hollywood grade reflexes.

Conclusion: it will only stop crime if a) if the assailant is afraid to kill or b) the assailant is incapable of considering a way around the situation.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    A while back, the town of Kennesaw, GA required each household to have a gun. The crime rate promptly plummeted. Now, that's not to say the same results would hold on a macro scale. In fact, I'd say it's probably unlikely. But it's interesting. Before attempting a crime, you'd have to consider that your victim is likely armed.
    About this. I've lived in America and in Europe, and from what I can tell, harassment on the street and petty/small crime is much more frequent out here than in the states. The reason for that is becuase in America, you're not gonna mess with someone on the street; they might have a gun. That said, I think everyone owning a gun would be a good thing because it would reduce the amount of harassment on the street. Noone would fuck with anyone.

Epiphany

The world would be a much safer place.

Jokes aside, I've never heard of anyone using a firearm to stop a mass shooter...because most people aren't armed and mass shooters know that. I think there would be less overall crime if everyone carried a weapon. Perhaps, alcohol establishments should maintain a no-firearm policy though.
    Last edited by Epiphany; 05-14-2013 at 01:08 PM.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

A lot of people would refuse to have a gun in their house. Too dangerous with kids around.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    Wait until your mark/target/antagonist has his back turned and then shoot him. Ideally do it where there are no witnesses. Having a gun does not give someone Hollywood grade reflexes.
    ...And promptly be shot by another person with a gun. Unless you achieved being alone with them, of course. In which case you could have achieved the same results with a box cutter. Try again.

In fact, in that case you'd probably be better off with a box cutter since guns aren't exactly inconspicuous.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

[QUOTE=Moniker;2078602]

Jokes aside, I've never heard of anyone using a firearm to stop a mass shooter.../QUOTE]

It does happen, despite what many would have you believe. The problem is that many (most) mass-shootings seem to happen in "gun-free zones", and guess what kind of people actually listen to those asinine rules...?