First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Gun control, in and of itself wouldn't make too much of a difference, the way it would likely be enforced here. A gun buy-back program (a year of Medicaid per gun turned in, perhaps) along with more thorough background checks and perhaps continued education in gun safety, and accountability for securing your firearms properly might be helpful.

What do you think our high murder rate is a symptom of?
    First paragraph: An interesting idea! Strangely enough I find it less objectionable than most proposals I've heard recently. For the record, most resistance to background checks is due to the inability to pass heirlooms down without involving the gov't, and the universal registry, in case anyone didn't know. Most firearms are purchased with a background check, anyway.

Second paragraph: A very interesting question, and one I don't have a good answer to. Perhaps some kind of cultural moral decay; I don't rightly know, though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its hard to have a discussion when people choose not to respond to your posts and if you're going to conduct yourself in this way then you will discover that for yourself real soon.
    What do you mean? Is there something important I missed? I have been responding to your posts...

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm pretty sure I'd be dead by now. lmao

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    What do you mean? Is there something important I missed? I have been responding to your posts...
    Yes, you have been missing something...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Yes, you have been missing something...
    Well, thank you for that helpful response which allowed me to rectify whatever mistake I apparently made.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'd find a way to shoot myself accidentally, probably.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Ditto. I'm one person who should not be using a firearm.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    This deserves highlighting for two reasons. First, "responsible" is a key here. Most gun owners fall under this category, yet the irresponsible ones get all of the attention, casting a bad shadow over the majority. Also, you really need to experience a friendly armed situation firsthand; you really can't explain it. When I go to gun shows, I don't feel the least bit insecure or nervous even though there are people walking around with spas-12s and AK clones on their backs. Frequently, the people at such events are far more cordial than the average person you encounter as well.
    Yes, exactly.
    I don't know why people seem to think that when there are many guns in a concentrated area there is automatically going to be chaos...
    Well, perhaps the weirdo who projects weird beliefs might be knowing his own tendencies.

Just because he is evil does not mean everyone else is.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

You really think that without guns there'd be an equal level of violent crime?
    What does that mean?
    I doubt it, also its not as easy to do as much damage in as short a space of time with any other sort of weapon as with fire arms.
    The long gun is what won our Freedom. Americans love their freedom, and refuse to sacrifice it, especially to 'politics'. We're bold and brave and don't care what the world thinks of our freedoms, or hating our freedoms, because of man's lust for more power, jealousy, greed, beligerance, or what have you.

A civil, responsible, armed public means freedom. Because without arms a people can be taken over. By power-hungry men. Kings long ruled over people of England with an iron fist and sword cutting off heads of its citizens thousands over. And that is much more evil and heinous than individual incidents. To try and take arms means to support that heinous known, because the one constant is the nature of man that history tells, and as given here.

The Japanese did not invade Hawaii or California and the sole reason is because they learned Americans own firearms, and it would have been hell on earth on our mainland had we not.

The truth is, firearms prevent grotesque killings by enabling law-abiding citizens to fend off an attacker without that attacker getting to them.

We build our country on truth. Not lies and deception we see clearly are efforts to strip freedom from our law-abiding people. And dominate them.
    You're right that if you are not going to control access and availability of firearms then you need to address the motivation to misuse them, that's the two points I highlighted.

Wait, did you just call me lazy and ignorant?
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

It's difficult for me to conceptualize these kinds of 'what-if' problems, because as Yoda says, "Always in motion the future is", which of course means that it is a dynamic entity that can change and transform across each moment, hence its unpredictability.

To put a new spin on this question combined with my 'uncertain future' hypothesis, what would happen if you moved into the future with a gun and killed yourself, assuming that bad objective is in the fullest sense realizable, like what kinds of contingencies might result from the half-alive and half-dead paradox?