User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Things will be a bit crazy, that is, if it is indeed that everyone owns some form of a gun.

If we consider 18+ to be "everyone" things might be considerably less crazy.

That is what some gun control laws try to do, though. Limit the amount of crazy people trying to get it and limit who is valid to own a gun "legally."

I'd seriously not want my 13-14 year old self to own a gun. And I'd seriously not want an emotional adolescent to own one either nor do I want a child owning a "real" gun. Strictly speaking, it is because some owners don't know how to take care of their guns from emotionally unstable people, and as a consequence, things get iffy at their home.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    So, lets take the libertarian standpoint on gun control. I don't care if you agree or disagree with gun control, with the advent of 3d printing and weapons, all citizens will have the ability to create a gun if they so choose.

So lets assume every citizen has a gun and the government has relinquished federal gun control laws. How would society be different? Would private businesses be capable of protecting themselves against armed citizens?
    Huh ? Correlation between the two things you mentioned? What are you saying? The two are necessarily virtually independent and unrelated. This isn't something that's in the mindset of most people.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by anti-villain View Post
    I agree. It's not as simple as "an armed society is a polite society". This is a far more complex issue.

The studies like the ones shown above are often heavily flawed though. They almost always lump suicide by firearm into 'gun deaths' completely skewing the results. Suicide is suicide. If someone resorted to the finality of using a gun to kill themselves, it wasn't a cry for help, they would have most likely used some other method if a gun had not been available.
    That's what you'd think, but some studies seem to indicate otherwise. It's counter-intuitive as hell, but it seems a fair amount of suicides are acts of impulse and if you inconvenience the suicidal person and delay them a bit, they say 'to hell with it' and keep living.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

In the simplest term? Chaos.

Pretty much any sense of a structure in the justice system goes out the window once the police and military force have no has leverage over the civilians (in this context, leverage meaning access to firearms); Every citizen having the means to impose their own(however twisted, antiquated, or misguided) sense of morality onto others by taking justice into their own hands.

I just imagine it would further perpetuate the cycle of gun ownership as a defensive measure; People would by more inclined to own a gun to protect themselves from all the other "bad" people who own guns.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

If memory serves, evolutionary biology says that the more armed an animal is (fangs and claws for instance), the less likely it is to get into serious fights with its own kind. Which makes sense, as there is a lot more chance of getting seriously injured, so you d only fight for something that is worth it (territory, breeding rights, etc). And you d do most of that as well through posturing and threatening to keep yourself safe and keep the situation from escalating to unsafe conditions.

In that respect, mankind is one of the most violent species, in part due to our lack of such weaponry. So...in theory, arming everyone (and given enough transition time), the above should become true for us.

One question to be asked though is...at what age do you arm the kids? Do you start them off with bb guns to simulate the weaponry that grows more lethal as they grow up?

For the record, Im a Euro and I do not *get* the need for guns.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Maybe someone has already asked this question already: what exactly will everyone need guns for?

To arm themselves against other people who have guns?
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You'd think so, to everyone though?
    Ha, probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by anti-villain View Post
    Just to clarify, you believe the above statement to be true or false?
    True. Which shouldnt be understood in terms of gun violence going down, simply that its not just to not let an ordinary citizen not arm themselves while criminals have access to guns(albeit illegally which is something the government has no resposibilty for.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Winds of Thor View Post
    Huh ? Correlation between the two things you mentioned? What are you saying? The two are necessarily virtually independent and unrelated. This isn't something that's in the mindset of most people.
    Well basically, remove all gun control laws. You have citizens armed with guns. How do you enforce gun safety after that? The next step I'd believe is for private businesses to have rules such as, "leave all guns outside" or something. Would Private businesses be capable of defending themselves against old saloon shootouts etc?

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

To answer @DJ Arendee's question; I think the first phase would involve a lot of mentally unstable/low impulse control/criminally minded people getting themselves killed off or tossed into prison.

My question is: Would that be a bad thing? Why or why not? I actually posed this and the OPs question together, flippantly, after having read an article in the morning paper several years ago to my commuter-mate, an INFJ female who'd been commuting with me 2 hours a day for over a year. Sadly, she never spoke to me again and went out of her way to avoid me. I really enjoyed our chats up to that point and was confused by this reaction initially. I am pretty sure I offended her desire for a politically correct nanny state, apparently, deeply so. In hindsight, someone who doesn't know how to agree to disagree probably isn't the best of people to discuss political things with *facepalm*

GunzR srs bsns mkay.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Well basically, remove all gun control laws. You have citizens armed with guns. How do you enforce gun safety after that? The next step I'd believe is for private businesses to have rules such as, "leave all guns outside" or something. Would Private businesses be capable of defending themselves against old saloon shootouts etc?
    Responsible handling of weapons gets taught in the home or through courses. There's thousands of examples of responsible gun owners having used guns to put a stop to murder, where the good guy gets the bad guy. One of the safest places to be is around responsible, armed people.

The types of people who engage in shootouts are few and far between. And because there always have been and will be a few certain people with extreme mindsets of impulsively violent character and for violent, impulsive behavior, is the reason the above mentioned, indeed works.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'