What if nobody had a gun?
    We've tried that. Doesn't work.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I'd use a pen to stab through eyes instead.

What if nobody had hands?
    2:21

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    It's only a bad idea if your future is based on your past; it doesn't have to be. You make choices to be different every day, as we all do. Your past doesn't have to define your future.

I believe it's only weak if you believe trying not to better yourself is worth doing. If you don't, then I never said such a thing about you. Why did you think I came to that conclusion about you? Because I did not, or at least, I don't know what your answer to the question is to form a conclusion to begin with.
    really really REALLYYYYY??!!! seriously,come on I am trying to better myself ask Ivy or anyone who's known me for any length of time

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Winds of Thor View Post
    This.

http://www.kmph.com/story/23283092/g...-harvard-study
    Gun Bans Don't Mean Lower Murder Rates, Finds Harvard Study
    Comparison is not reason.

Or rather: in order to make a meaningful comparison, you have to compare similar situations.

Comparing Western countries with Russia is nonsense, or the indication of a possible scientific fraud.

By the way, your so-called "Harvard study" has been funded by the NRA, and written by two known NRA sympathizers (Gary Mauser and Don Kates).
    People I know in Harvard would simply laugh about it, especially because this study is the work of a marketing professor with an impact factor close to zero. In scientific terms, it means the value of this paper is void.

Because in Russia, even if the possession of guns is theoretically restricted, half of the people own one, even if it's illegal. Thus, the numbers given by this study are to be taken with a huge pinch of salt. Especially when it explains than a third of French people would own a gun (this claim is so stupid I don't even know where to start).

Anyway, you can't compare the situation of a corruption-ridden dictatorship where mafias and the government work together (Russia), and a peaceful Western democracy with a genuine state of law.

Or rather, I'd say that if you're gullible enough to believe in any number given by any government, then North Korea is paradise on earth.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    So, lets take the libertarian standpoint on gun control. I don't care if you agree or disagree with gun control, with the advent of 3d printing and weapons, all citizens will have the ability to create a gun if they so choose.

So lets assume every citizen has a gun and the government has relinquished federal gun control laws. How would society be different? Would private businesses be capable of protecting themselves against armed citizens?
    I'd say the situation would be admirably close to what you can witness in the most terrifying slums where I've ever worked.

There's no government or police there. So the local inhabitants have to protect themselves everyday against crimes (when they're not criminals themselves), meaning you find rotting corpses in the streets everyday. Whenever I heard a gun shoot while working there, nobody would react: it's so commonplace.
    This is the truth about the so-called libertarian paradise: It was a live experience.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    really really REALLYYYYY??!!! seriously,come on I am trying to better myself ask Ivy or anyone who's known me for any length of time
    RƎ∀11Y ɹǝA1

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Comparison is not reason.

Or rather: in order to make a meaningful comparison, you have to compare similar situations.

Comparing Western countries with Russia is nonsense, or the indication of a possible scientific fraud.

By the way, your so-called "Harvard study" has been funded by the NRA, and written by two known NRA sympathizers (Gary Mauser and Don Kates).
    People I know in Harvard would simply laugh about it, especially because this study is the work of a marketing professor with an impact factor close to zero. In scientific terms, it means the value of this paper is void.

Because in Russia, even if the possession of guns is theoretically restricted, half of the people own one, even if it's illegal. Thus, the numbers given by this study are to be taken with a huge pinch of salt. Especially when it explains than a third of French people would own a gun (this claim is so stupid I don't even know where to start).

Anyway, you can't compare the situation of a corruption-ridden dictatorship where mafias and the government work together (Russia), and a peaceful Western democracy with a genuine state of law.

Or rather, I'd say that if you're gullible enough to believe in any number given by any government, then North Korea is paradise on earth.
    So you have so-called elite friends at Harvard? Well that's great!
    I went to Brown.

Anyway, facts are facts.

The nature of people is known, which makes the right to bear arms all the more pertinent to people trying to control other people. And this is the real context of concern.

Others may not like the right to bear arms, of course. But that doesn't by any means make those with opinions wrong.

There have been a lot of attempts to spin.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

This is my simplistic two-cents-in opinion on the matter:
    I grew up around guns, and currently there is no social gathering I go to in my home town where people aren't carrying.
    Everyone had a gun to the point of sleeping with them in the army.
    Everyone in Iraq had guns (the civilians) and frequently used celebratory fire for occasions like weddings.

It just doesn't bother me. The thought of everyone having a gun is just not troublesome to me at all. No one is pulling their guns out instead of physically/verbally arguing. No one escalates the situation to something absurd with their hand gun. And the law hardly stops people from doing what they want to do.

Even in Iraq, Iraqis having guns did not bother me. People who wanted to shoot me did, but the citizens themselves just having weapons on them did not.

I say a whole lot less would change than people think. The law still makes a big fuss out of shooting someone dead, whether in self defense or otherwise. The oddest thing about being in Europe was the sheer lack of weaponry around.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'd be all for it if they were non lethal.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.