User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

I think it would be easier and safer to use the printer to make everything but the barrel and firing chamber, then you won't have to worry about it blowing up. It would basically just be a normal pistol but much lighter.

article about the plans being taken down:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...ted-gun-files/

article about why the worries of 3d printed guns are overblown:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...-is-overblown/

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Once it gets on the web, it stays on the web.

It's going to take a while for it to advance though, at least I think so, until that 8k cost downgrades to something more reasonable, it won't be used often.

For what it is now, it'll most be used by those who have the $$$ to shell out, or people who think they can turn a profit at this point.
    Would be interesting how well this works with the designs: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...bot-3d-printer
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

The Horseless Carriage and the 3D Printer

A three dimensional printer is no more a printer than a horseless carriage is a car.

But we drive forward looking in the rear vision mirror, and on first seeing a car naturally we call it a horseless carriage with so many horse power. And so on first seeing a ****** naturally call it a 3D printer, even though horses have nothing to do with cars, and ****** has nothing to do with printers.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by _eric_ View Post
    I think it would be easier and safer to use the printer to make everything but the barrel and firing chamber, then you won't have to worry about it blowing up. It would basically just be a normal pistol but much lighter.
    Ever heard of Glock?

article about why the worries of 3d printed guns are overblown:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...-is-overblown/
    Yeah, I don't think you could make a very good gun with just a 3D printer. It seems to me that the next logical progression would be to do something like the receiver of a Steyr AUG.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Just you wait and see, people! Some of you doubted my 3D printer thread, but I'm telling you it's gonna turn society upside down.
    I've owned stock in a 3-D printing company for over a year now and I've been patiently waiting.

(I personally think it's a great idea but it's usefulness is questionable)

All this is a little overblown in my opinion. Anything (presumably in the whole universe) can be used as a weapon. Intent is the independent variable. There is no guarantee either that all those downloads will lead to illegal firearms. I can see many downloading it purely out of curiousity.

I hope this doesn't lead to restrictions on this technology. Although it is not a production technology (its meant for prototypes) it certainly does show potential to develop in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I've owned stock in a 3-D printing company for over a year now and I've been patiently waiting.

I have considered this option myself a couple of times (as well as jumping off the deep end and making my own company!) and if I may ask could you tell me whether you have seen any returns on your investment? Do you know whether your company has seen any noteworthy profit? If its going to explode as an industry then I want a cut of the action you see.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I have considered this option myself a couple of times (as well as jumping off the deep end and making my own company!) and if I may ask could you tell me whether you have seen any returns on your investment? Do you know whether your company has seen any noteworthy profit? If its going to explode as an industry then I want a cut of the action you see.
    You can see for yourself.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=D...rce=undefined;

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I personally hope it makes you filthy rich! Might have to consider a play myself soon...

I am kinda curious about your thoughts here The utility to technically handy end-consumers is obvious, the utility to commercial enterprises seems like it would be obvious--quick prototyping and turnaround, but IMO mass manufacturing not so much since the cost & production time would be less favorable. Still, as an electronics & computer hobbyist of sorts, I have come to realize that the physical materials manipulation aspect of building things is daunting, requiring either handy skills + tools or shelling out more cash. One of these days I mean to learn some of the CAD software and try one of the online 3D-printing services to get my feet wet.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I personally hope it makes you filthy rich! Might have to consider a play myself soon...

I am kinda curious about your thoughts here The utility to technically handy end-consumers is obvious, the utility to commercial enterprises seems like it would be obvious--quick prototyping and turnaround, but IMO mass manufacturing not so much since the cost & production time would be less favorable. Still, as an electronics & computer hobbyist of sorts, I have come to realize that the physical materials manipulation aspect of building things is daunting, requiring either handy skills + tools or shelling out more cash. One of these days I mean to learn some of the CAD software and try one of the online 3D-printing services to get my feet wet.
    Well, maybe it will take off. I could use some mad cash.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, as long as ONE person can afford the $8000 printer.

I actually have a local friend who has one and has been printing off lots of crazy stuff in the last six months. She's an ENTJ tech-head and has gotten quite good at it... she even uses cad programs to design her own working schematics.

i should ask her about the gun thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    There are some kickstarters out there for sub-$1K 3D printers that are half decent.
    I really think in another 2 years the tech will be a no-brainer for average techies.
    In a similar way that making "physical computing" projects is highly accessible now with stuff like the Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beaglebone et al.
    I have paid around $500 which includes import costs for a 3D printer from the States. This news are rather unsettling cause they could lead to 3D printers being banned, cause you couldnt really ever regulate what people print on it.

The dumb thing once again tho is, this's just in the news because of the popularity of plastic printers. I myself and many other people have already built CNC mills with which you could even produce guns from solid metal. The difference between a plastic printer and a CNC mill isnt that great...

Gonna see what that will turn into :/
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]