User Tag List

First 12

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    it's weird because all of society existed like this for most of human history. hearsay and sparse contact was the norm, how terrible.
    This is true, there's entire survivalist communities online and offline on this topic and prepping for it.

MBTI
    XXFP

One of the interesting "internet specific" things to come out of Syria is first person sources of war footage. Unlike in past decades now rebels can shoot and upload footage of battles directly to their youtube accounts. Spending a little bit of time going through their accounts is honestly more informative than the "Exclusive footage" from Al-Jazeera that they make such a big deal out of getting.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

it's weird because all of society existed like this for most of human history. hearsay and sparse contact was the norm, how terrible.
    All sarcasm aside, I guess you'd like to take your comfortable, well fed, gluteus maximus and spend a few days in war torn Syria huh?

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    All sarcasm aside, I guess you'd like to take your comfortable, well fed, gluteus maximus and spend a few days in war torn Syria huh?

not sarcasm.

commenting on the ubiquity but also the dependence we have on electronic communication.

fwiw i've considered being a photojournalist because the dissemination of information is a valuable service.

not sarcasm.

commenting on the ubiquity but also the dependence we have on electronic communication.
    I got that. Im just a little shocked at how you seemed to make light of the Syrian people's situation. They didnt choose to remove their fingers to from the pc to go play ball outside, theyre at war, and a sick war at that. I think your remark might've missed the context in which the OP's post was made.

fwiw i've considered being a photojournalist because the dissemination of information is a valuable service.
    Hey thats more noble than me. Im not saying we have to feel guilty or even do anything about the situation there. But I try to avoid remarks which seem ignorant at least. Perhaps I misunderstood you though.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I got that. Im just a little shocked at how you seemed to make light of the Syrian people's situation. They didnt choose to remove their fingers to from the pc to go play ball outside, theyre at war, and a sick war at that. I think your remark might've missed the context in which the OP's post was made.

Hey thats more noble than me. Im not saying we have to feel guilty or even do anything about the situation there. But I try to avoid remarks which seem ignorant at least. Perhaps I misunderstood you though.
    I wasn't making light of any situation, it was a general comment, and despite how serious the situation is constant gravitas isn't necessary or desirable. Who is on typec to get hard data on how to get in touch with their lost relatives in Syria? It's a discussion board.

The history of communication and the need for data in war time - accurate data, stretches back a very long time. Most people are familiar with the story of the spies at Jericho, for instance. Civilians don't have those resources, so hearsay was the norm. The data you got wasn't very reliable because you don't know who it was passed through and if they were reliable.