User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 38

  1. #21
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unnamed View Post
    It looks like a group of animals biting each other,because the living space too small and lack of resources.

    Solution: (I think you will don't like it)


    Any golden age in human history is after a big kill.
    I agree with this, but I think Nature is going to provide the solution for us, if yo know what I mean. That and economic collapse.

  2. #22
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Imagine a guy who is angry with someone and has thoughts of this person while hitting a punching bag. I doubt he would end up punching the person after having properly channeled his anger.
    While I cannot say punches don't kill, most people have the impression in their heads that a punch will not deliver devastating results. Everyone has wanted to just sock someone in the face for whatever reason... but it is sort of the 'safe' thought. Punches don't (typically) kill, and most people don't believe they have the capacity to punch someone and kill them. Most people (rightfully) believe if they punch someone it'll hurt a while, and then that person will recover within a week.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #23
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Yeah, I'd tend to agree with this argument.

    I think that if you have a violent urge to actually kill an innocent person who is only threatening your ego than you need to learn to control that feeling rather than feeding into it or it'll probably just get worse.

    That said, I think most violent people still have a conscience. Perhaps after 'killing their girlfriend' they would feel some terrible sense of remorse and throw the target away and change their ways, if that's what people were really buying this for. Which I sort of doubt, in a similar (but not same) way I doubt that most people who play violent video games are trying to get out their frustrations against Orcs or Giant Mutated Insects.
    The bolded is a really good thought.

    NPR was talking about the gun debate recently and they talked to some people who worked in emergency rooms, and they said the men who kill other people (especially their significant others) often do feel really terrible afterward- like they didn't know it would be real until it happened. I think that's something that happens when we desensitize ourselves from violence- people unconsciously believe it isn't real, that if people die they're not really dead- like it's a video game.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    The bolded is a really good thought.

    NPR was talking about the gun debate recently and they talked to some people who worked in emergency rooms, and they said the men who kill other people (especially their significant others) often do feel really terrible afterward- like they didn't know it would be real until it happened. I think that's something that happens when we desensitize ourselves from violence- people unconsciously believe it isn't real, that if people die they're not really dead- like it's a video game.
    FWIW, I'm not a pacifist. I think there are credible uses of violence. That said, I think people tend to focus on the immediate murderous joy and don't consider the other consequences of remorse, PTSD, feeling of separation from the rest of society, etc. I've never killed someone, and I rather not kill someone (but a part of me is some level of expectation that I might have to kill someone), but I'd imagine the actual experience is probably different than what you might imagine it to be, regardless of whether your expectations are based in anything meaningful or not.

    Video games are another topic, but related. I think that if you play video games to take out your murderous frustration by killing people (or orcs...or whatever) than that's a bad thing. That said, I don't think most people are playing games with that mindset, rather it's just something to do, strategy, fast paced, and the simulated death is just something that happens - nobody is really dead, it's just a game.

    I'm not sure what arguments one could make about conditioning and how that actually relates to people in a real killing people situation. I think if you come from a background of not actually considering life and death choices the lines might tend to blur a lot more than if you do.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  5. #25
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    I find the ownership of this product offensive and concerning. It's hard to decide how one should actually respond to the distributors, but I don't like what it either seems to describe or prescribe in our society.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #26
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Video games are another topic, but related. I think that if you play video games to take out your murderous frustration by killing people (or orcs...or whatever) than that's a bad thing. That said, I don't think most people are playing games with that mindset, rather it's just something to do, strategy, fast paced, and the simulated death is just something that happens - nobody is really dead, it's just a game.

    I'm not sure what arguments one could make about conditioning and how that actually relates to people in a real killing people situation. I think if you come from a background of not actually considering life and death choices the lines might tend to blur a lot more than if you do.
    This has a lot to do with how those activities are perceived by the person playing them. I can understand why people will say that video games do not rehearse violence directly, if the person playing has the ability to compartmentalize that activity as different from actual physical violence. There isn't one answer to the degree to which those activities rehearse vs. distract. I think to some extent they do both, but to varying degrees depending on the individual. The more closely an activity resembles an actual, physical act of violence, the more it is a rehearsal rather than distraction.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  7. #27
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    This has a lot to do with how those activities are perceived by the person playing them. I can understand why people will say that video games do not rehearse violence directly, if the person playing has the ability to compartmentalize that activity as different from actual physical violence. There isn't one answer to the degree to which those activities rehearse vs. distract. I think to some extent they do both, but to varying degrees depending on the individual. The more closely an activity resembles an actual, physical act of violence, the more it is a rehearsal rather than distraction.
    I agree with you, but I'm not even sure realism is the key distinguishing factor as much as mindset.

    Even if the 'game' was hyper realistic in terms of blood weapons (ie physical factors), I think that if you maintain the mindset that it's a game than it stays a game - it's not real in your head. You can project onto the situation what you'd imagine you'd feel like if it was real, but it's not real.

    To get sci-fi on you, like the Holo Deck on Star Trek. That said, even non-real things have the potential to effect you like the death of a well liked character in a book, for instance.

    However, the less real something seems, perhaps the easier it is to maintain the mindset. Individual differences apply.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It is rehearsing the violence which deepens the the ability to act on those impulses. I think it will lead to increased violence against women. A distraction is to go play sports, become a boxer, build a shed, chop wood. Doing something constructive with the energy of anger and hate is a distraction. Rehearsing violence makes a person more violent. The more the activity resembles the actual desire for violence, the more it is rehearsal instead of distraction.
    I think the targets are absolutely disgusting. But I don't see taking up boxing, chopping wood, or playing sports being that much better an outlet for the pent up anger that would have been otherwise directed towards said target. It's the same thing. This person has mad you extremely angry, so holding onto that anger, you go plow someone to the ground playing football, knock someone out cold in a boxing match, or grab an axe and chop some wood? Is that not rehearsing as well? I don't see the difference.

    You're conditioning yourself to require that physical outlet for anger, instead of learning to deal with it properly.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anti-villain View Post
    I think the targets are absolutely disgusting. But I don't see taking up boxing, chopping wood, or playing sports being that much better an outlet for the pent up anger that would have been otherwise directed towards said target. It's the same thing. This person has mad you extremely angry, so holding onto that anger, you go plow someone to the ground playing football, knock someone out cold in a boxing match, or grab an axe and chop some wood? Is that not rehearsing as well? I don't see the difference.

    You're conditioning yourself to require that physical outlet for anger, instead of learning to deal with it properly.
    Repressing anger is not "dealing with it properly." Releasing anger physically is totally appropriate, as much as crying is appropriate for releasing pent up sadness or stress.

    Psychologically it's much more damaging to focus on a specific target. Releasing feelings physically is not the same as psychologically focusing on a target.

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Also why is she nearly naked? That is unnecessary. The only acceptable reason to shoot someone would be in defense of yourself or someone else, and a woman would not be trying to kill you half naked more often than not. Certainly not more often than a man would. I suppose they show shirtless men so it's easier to see what part of the body you are shooting, but I don't think this is all that is going on in this case.
    This is completely horrifying and unacceptable. It's like something a budding serial killer would do, have nude bleeding woman targets to shoot. I can't believe anyone even thinks this is something we should discuss open-mindedly.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] Need help determining type of ex-girlfriend
    By BatmanFanatic in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 04:32 PM
  2. Teachers stage fake gun attack on kids
    By digesthisickness in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
  3. Help me type my ex please
    By Sahara in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO