User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default New Texas handgun legislation.

Ok so recently a petition for a new bill has come up in Texas. The bill will change Texas handgun laws to instead require a person to keep their handgun concealed it will allow them to carry it in the open. I have been trying to find some good factual evidence of exactly what the bill states but i cant seem to find it anywhere. So until I or someone else can, and can post it, I would like to just discuss what others oponions on the matter is.

I for one am completely for it, I feel that the ability to carry a handgun in the open will detour criminals more than 50% of the time.

Peoples main complaint so far is that so many people carrying handguns in the open will provoke more attacks than it would start. I doubt this, their is already one other state, New Mexico I believe, that requires you to carry your handgun in the open. And its not chaos over there, so why would it happen over here.

So im about to head off to work but ill be back to discuss this later.
    SDMF

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I would tend to think the opposite would be the case - not knowing who's packing and who isn't would make a criminal even more paranoid about getting shot. If all law abiding citizens have their guns in the open, this means a criminal could conceal his, checkout those around him and bam, he knows he will be in control of the situation.

I think concealment is better, and it doesn't create anxiety for those that don't even like the sight of them.

I agree with nozflubber. Requiring people to carry in the open is like playing poker with someone where you have to show all your cards and your opponent doesn't.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah, the option of either is the way to go.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ISTP

Actually, a lot of states allow open-carry laws, just most people don't really have the desire to do so. As such, I'm in favor of allowing both, not just one or the other.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I would tend to think the opposite would be the case - not knowing who's packing and who isn't would make a criminal even more paranoid about getting shot. If all law abiding citizens have their guns in the open, this means a criminal could conceal his, checkout those around him and bam, he knows he will be in control of the situation.

I think concealment is better, and it doesn't create anxiety for those that don't even like the sight of them.
    The average criminal, especially your street thug either doesnt have a gun on him or is too stupid to think if his likley victim has a gun on them. And i personally feel that if not carrying a gun on you makes you a target for those who will attack you then its your own fault for chooseing not to carry a weapon on you for self defense. And second if someone does attack a civilian who isnt carrying than others who are carry around them (if there are any) will help out and take down the criminals before the police can even react. But most likely what will happen is the criminal will target the ones carrying first and thus we would actually be in more danger, or the criminal will wait till the victim is alone and strike then. And if thats the case its once again their fault for deciding not to carry.

But I do also feel that it should be a choice to carry it open or concealed not restricted to one or the other. But im still not positive on what the bill says exactly so im just hopeing that theirs a choice.
    SDMF