MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default A Black Couple Adopts A White Baby Girl

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...ing-katie.html

Do you think Katie, the baby girl in this article, will suffer emotional or other form of psychological harm from this adoption arrangement?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

A nice thing for the kid is that at least she is not typically the target of peoples' scorn in this scenario. It's going to be uncomfortable to live with her family being treated that way, but I think she'll get through it fine, and possibly wiser than most.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    A nice thing for the kid is that at least she is not typically the target of peoples' scorn in this scenario. It's going to be uncomfortable to live with her family being treated that way, but I think she'll get through it fine, and possibly wiser than most.
    What do you think of other peoples' reactions to this situation? Such as the angry looks, and do-gooder attempts to help the girl get away.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    What do you think of other peoples' reactions to this situation? Such as the angry looks, and do-gooder attempts to help the girl get away.
    Well intentioned, but flatly racist. A lot of people in this more politically correct era have essentially learned scripted non-racist responses to familiar scenarios. If you hand them an unfamiliar scenario, the racism in this society tends to come right out in the open again. Unfortunately it's a macro scale problem, so it doesn't leave a lot of options for the parents.

EDIT: I'd like to add that in the big picture, more of this sort of thing is better as it will break these barriers down. I'm bothered by the suggestions that we should match races for the sake of the children's supposed well being. It's seems like a quick retreat into comfort at the expense of much broader progress.

"Katie is uncomfortable identifying people by their race."

May she keep the habit.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Well intentioned, but flatly racist. A lot of people in this more politically correct era have essentially learned scripted non-racist responses to familiar scenarios. If you hand them an unfamiliar scenario, the racism in this society tends to come right out in the open again. Unfortunately it's a macro scale problem, so it doesn't leave a lot of options for the parents.

EDIT: I'd like to add that in the big picture, more of this sort of thing is better as it will break these barriers down. I'm bothered by the suggestions that we should match races for the sake of the children's supposed well being. It's seems like a quick retreat into comfort at the expense of much broader progress.

"Katie is uncomfortable identifying people by their race."

May she keep the habit.
    Why do you think it's racist? Why can't it be based in stereotypes and social memes?

I don't hate any groups. But for example, if I were to watch nothing but television shows with black people as criminals and white people as heroes for year after year, would you blame me for assuming that black is evil and white is good?

Epiphany

She will probably have emotional consequences, though it sounds like she was troubled before the adoption. If she has parents who love her, that's more than some kids have. It seems a bit hypocritical of her mother to oppose white parents adopting black children on the grounds of "cultural genocide," however. Cultures should be fluid and susceptible to change anyway...which is apparent from people's reactions to a mixed family.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Why do you think it's racist? Why can't it be based in stereotypes and social memes?

I don't hate any groups. But for example, if I were to watch nothing but television shows with black people as criminals and white people as heroes for year after year, would you blame me for assuming that black is evil and white is good?
    How is that not racist?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

How is that not racist?
    Because black people (sometimes) have the same reactions to other black people. This was proven in a study about 20 years ago.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Because black people (sometimes) have the same reactions to other black people. This was proven in a study about 20 years ago.
    That doesn't make it not racist. You can convince people to loath themselves. As long as someone has been conditioned into prejudice toward people in an arbitrarily classified race, then they are being racist. The same thing applies to gender, by the way. Misogynistic women exist. They are being sexist.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Epiphany

It's true. Years ago, when I worked in a restaurant, the only server who blatantly discriminated against black customers for not tipping was black, himself. The white servers did it more discretely though.