First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    What's your point? Racism and ethnic hatred having he same psychology doesn't mean that race and ethnicity are the same thing. That doesn't mean a white child is going to have some innate sense of white culture that will result in "racial confusion". She will be white, they will be black and they will have the same culture.
    I didn't say "what's your point." I said "what's the point?" The point to me is the original topic, not whether Italian is a race or ethnicity. Races and ethnic groups are treated the same in that they are both subject to being looked down upon by those from other races and ethnic groups.

The question was whether Katie will suffer from racial confusion ("am I a Black or White person?"). But this racial identity is linked with a Black American culture that goes beyond skin color.

If there is as much prejudice (or "racism") in America as that article suggests, then this is a VERY important psychological issue. It involves the choice to overcome the entropy of Black American culture and strive to be more (the Bill Cosby syndrome), or to settle for something less.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    There are religious cultures. People can be a part of overlapping cultures. For instance a person could be part of Italian culture, Corporate culture, and catholic culture ect. While another person might be apart of American culture, Studio culture and protestant culture.
    Religion is part of a culture. Religion is not the culture itself. And many people don't believe there is an American culture. They are even angered by the very suggestion that there is an American culture.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Yes. In some cultures, religion is the foundation of their entire lifestyle. e.g. Amish
    Sorry, but Amish culture is not based on religion. It is based on Ordnung.
    http://amishamerica.com/what-is-the-amish-ordnung/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Religion is part of a culture. Religion is not the culture itself. And many people don't believe there is an American culture. They are even angered by the very suggestion that there is an American culture.
    American culture is multi-cult. And that's fine. But it's incorrect to Americanize the world by enforcing multi-culture upon it, IMO. Multi-culturalism is American, and unfortunately so is corporatism because of the lack of one specific culture.

Things like corporate logos are able to get a foot-hold when there's nothing more substantial to hold on to.

Sometimes I wonder if the idea behind a lot of more *sane* libertarianism (that isn't completely anarcho-capitalist) is to try to give America a sense of cohesive history and culture that isn't based upon corporate mergers, by making references to history and the constitution.

Jung said a cohesive sense of culture can be psychologically destructive. And just look at how anxious and depressed Americans are. My friend from Yekatrinburg asked me why there were so many crazy people in America.

Like really, mentally ill people. He was like "it's like they're just lonely."

No sense of belonging. You belong by eating at McDonald's and shopping at Wal-Mart. How empty is that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

American culture is multi-cult. And that's fine. But it's incorrect to Americanize the world by enforcing multi-culture upon it, IMO. Multi-culturalism is American, and unfortunately so is corporatism because of the lack of one specific culture.

Things like corporate logos are able to get a foot-hold when there's nothing more substantial to hold on to.

Sometimes I wonder if the idea behind a lot of more *sane* libertarianism (that isn't completely anarcho-capitalist) is to try to give America a sense of cohesive history and culture that isn't based upon corporate mergers, by making references to history and the constitution.

Jung said a lack of cohesive sense of culture can be psychologically destructive. And just look at how anxious and depressed Americans are. My friend from Yekatrinburg asked me why there were so many crazy people in America.

Like really, mentally ill people. He was like "it's like they're just lonely."

No sense of belonging. You belong by eating at McDonald's and shopping at Wal-Mart. How empty is that.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    At most, it may have some kind of effect on the imprinting process during early childhood development, which in turn could theoretically have subtle and difficult to discern effects (not necessarily negative) on future psychological development; that's the only possible psychological issue inherent (as opposed to culturally imposed) in mixed-race adoptions that I can think of. I don't think that's even remotely a good enough reason to oppose (or even have reservations about) mixed race adoptions.
    The question is not what you think is the only possible psychological issue. What if you're wrong? What if each child is different enough in that some will be affected in different ways?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I didn't say "what's your point." I said "what's the point?" The point to me is the original topic, not whether Italian is a race or ethnicity. Races and ethnic groups are treated the same in that they are both subject to being looked down upon by those from other races and ethnic groups.

The question was whether Katie will suffer from racial confusion ("am I a Black or White person?"). But this racial identity is linked with a Black American culture that goes beyond skin color.

If there is as much prejudice (or "racism") in America as that article suggests, then this is a VERY important psychological issue. It involves the choice to overcome the entropy of Black American culture and strive to be more (the Bill Cosby syndrome), or to settle for something less.

I was asking you what your point was.

If you think that certain ethnic groups will be looked down upon it still doesn't seem to support the idea that this girl wont understand her race or culture.

Racial identity is being linked in this article but that doesn't mean that this is correct. I would argue it's not because 1.) black people do not have a single homogenous culture and 2.) a person raised in the culture of another race will not innately retain the culture of their biological parents.

I don't think it's about "overcoming the entropy of black culture". Rather, it's about becoming more than the stereotypes of black people. Katie might have to confront other peoples prejudice against her parents, but I don't see that as psychologically damaging and it's a something many people of various backgrounds encounter.

Epiphany

Sorry, but Amish culture is not based on religion. It is based on Ordnung.
    http://amishamerica.com/what-is-the-amish-ordnung/
    I get the distinct feeling that you like to argue just for the sake of argument. If this is the case, then I am done corresponding with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

The Amish, sometimes referred to as Amish Mennonites, are a group of traditionalist Christian church fellowships that form a subgroup of the Mennonite churches.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Of course religion is distinct from culture. That doesn't mean there aren't cultures which develop with in religious groups. Just like we have grouped people into ethnic cultures there are also religious cultures. For instance with in christianity there is catholic, greek orthodox, southern baptist ect. cultures. It's not just beliefs but customs, traditions, vocabulary, attitudes, how you approach the church, dress. Two people from the same town might share there local culture but attend churches with very different religious cultures. For instance at one church people dress up and the other they wear jeans. It's not a religious difference but a difference in the culture of the two establishments.

I think everyone has culture. It's unavoidable.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

The question is not what you think is the only possible psychological issue. What if you're wrong? What if each child is different enough in that some will be affected in different ways?
    What if he's not wrong and you send a kid to live with her neglectful prostitute mother rather than a responsible black couple that the girls seems to love and trust.