User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 195

  1. #31
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I don't think she will suffer from having black parents assuming that they are good parents.
    Do you think that "racial confusion" will be an issue?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #32
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    My answer is that you are calling people racist on the basis of prejudices you hold about racists in general.
    Yes, I have a prejudice against racists, or more specifically acts of racism. How is this a problem?

    You see, I'm not the one claiming prejudice is bad in general, I'm claiming racism is bad. I think a person should prejudiced against racism. I can't figure out what your point is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Do you think that "racial confusion" will be an issue?
    I think it will be a benefit.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #33
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Do you think that "racial confusion" will be an issue?

    To me racial confusion is the incidence of people believing that "race" is a real thing.


    What does it mean to you? How would she be anymore confused than an other adopted kid who doesn't look like their parents? They explain she's adopted and that's the end of the confusion

  4. #34
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yes, I have a prejudice against racists, or more specifically acts of racism. How is this a problem?

    You see, I'm not the one claiming prejudice is bad in general, I'm claiming racism is bad. I think a person should prejudiced against racism. I can't figure out what your point is.
    Prejudice is a natural albeit bad cognitive habit. It is based on the habit of generalizing to the whole, while disregarding all evidence to the contrary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think it will be a benefit.
    How so?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #35
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Prejudice is a natural albeit bad cognitive habit. It is based on the habit of generalizing to the whole, while disregarding all evidence to the contrary.
    We survive on generalizations. However, not all generalizations are equal. I dislike poor generalizations, like racism. Highly inaccurate, essentially unwarranted, and harmful in its effects, it is a poor generalization.

    Racism can go beyond just being any old generalization, too. Many people take it to be a categorical absolute, which is much more problematic.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    How so?
    It's mostly better for our society, because people with "issues" like that will help us get over the racial paradigm. It is more problematic for her, but I still think it's positive, because it will allow her to see the world more clearly the most people and I suspect she will learn some very good lessons from the experience.

    I hope she becomes a sociologist some day.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #36
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    That's true. These people who react to the adoption are not racist. They're just not used to the idea.
    On the contrary, I think it is racist; regardless of the bystander's intentions. The word "racist" however has become muddled by overuse, often in reference to cultural grievances rather than actual racial or genetic factors. The parents in question have every right to be offended by people assuming they are kidnappers simply because they are black. However, the mother of the little girl, Phyllis, who is the former president of the Baltimore chapter of the National Association of Black Social Workers is also being racist when she joined her colleagues in condemning the adoption of black children by white families as "cultural genocide"—a position she still holds in theory, if not in practice. I'm curious what "culture" she is more concerned about preserving than mutual respect and equality among different races. Seems like a double-standard. She doesn't apply the same principle to the little girl's culture, whatever that may be: Irish, I think the article said. I don't see how being adopted by black parents changes her heritage in any way, or vice versa.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    On the contrary, I think it is racist; regardless of the bystander's intentions. The word "racist" however has become muddled by overuse, often in reference to cultural grievances rather than actual racial or genetic factors. The parents in question have every right to be offended by people assuming they are kidnappers simply because they are black. However, the mother of the little girl, Phyllis, who is the former president of the Baltimore chapter of the National Association of Black Social Workers is also being racist when she joined her colleagues in condemning the adoption of black children by white families as "cultural genocide"—a position she still holds in theory, if not in practice. I'm curious what "culture" she is more concerned about preserving than mutual respect and equality among different races. Seems like a double-standard. She doesn't apply the same principle to the little girl's culture, whatever that may be: Irish, I think the article said. I don't see how being adopted by black parents changes her heritage in any way, or vice versa.
    Completely agree. The mother is a hypocrite. Labeling something Cultural genocide that doesn't involve murder or actual oppression of a people group is bullshit.

  8. #38
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Completely agree. The mother is a hypocrite. Labeling something Cultural genocide that doesn't involve murder or actual oppression of a people group is bullshit.
    Indeed. You'd think she would have changed her stance after having adopted the little girl.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Still curious about what exactly "racial confusion" is.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Some people just are able to have contrasting views in their minds.

    My favorite uncle told my mom he though her interracial marriage was wrong, but he was still best buds with my dad and was always mice to me. :Shrug:.

    I think sometimes people are just so used to saying certain things and identifying with certain causes that they keep saying them even after they've been exposed to things that cause them to think differently.

Similar Threads

  1. Study: Stem Cell Breakthrough Opens Door To Same-Sex Couples Having Their Own Babies
    By Hard in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-23-2015, 04:58 AM
  2. Gendercide: The worldwide war on baby girls
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 08:03 PM
  3. ENTPs do you relate: black and white vision and dislike fuzziness
    By LeonardoLestat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 12:55 AM
  4. Do You Dream In Colors or In Black/White?
    By tblood in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 06:07 AM
  5. White, gray, black and colorless
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 07:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO