User Tag List

First 10181920

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    exactly, which wouldn't matter if it was just another political movement, but we're talking social workers here: they are already in the right position. if social workers in predominantly black neighborhoods in america start adopting this as a policy.... the possible outcomes range from harmless (if the movement fails) to horribly destructive on multiply lives.
    Well all social workers are meant to apply anti-oppressive practices which assist individuals as much as possible while taking account of how culture, stratification and legacies of multiple oppressions operate but to be truthful this sort of thing in the UK could get a practitioner in real hot water and lead to their practice being put under special attention, they'd better hope that no one so much as falls and skins a knee when that happens.

In the UK the cases which, tragically, have translated into abuse and even death the workers claimed they acted with caution for fear or being accused or racism, homophobia etc.

It wasnt treated as much of a valid reason in the cases they were dealing with for the decisions they made.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    exactly, which wouldn't matter if it was just another political movement, but we're talking social workers here: they are already in the right position. if social workers in predominantly black neighborhoods in america start adopting this as a policy.... the possible outcomes range from harmless (if the movement fails) to horribly destructive on multiply lives.
    What is disconcerting is that the organization is willfully advocating a double-standard, unless they believe that black parents should not be allowed to adopt white children either and Phyllis considers herself an exception to the rule. I'm still curious what cultural attributes they fear are on the brink of extinction if whites adopt blacks. There are still plenty of black parents raising black children who will pass on this culture, whatever that entails. As Lark said, the child's wellbeing does not seem to be the primary concern on this issue. I would think getting children out of the system and into loving families would be the most important goal.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Nawh, I felt you were at least implying that I was trying to create a catch which I wasnt.

I hope your thoughts about the characterisation of the gay community are valid, it would be for the best if they are, I have only really their own advocates and pressure groups to go on and they're pretty clear. I hear them on the radio all the time, TV, other sources.
    I wouldn't call one person creatin a catch 22 a "conspiracy". I feel like you need at least one other person

But yeah all kids of people have put out "studies" about how gay parent affects children. It's not an unexplored area.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    I get the distinct feeling that you like to argue just for the sake of argument. If this is the case, then I am done corresponding with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

The Amish, sometimes referred to as Amish Mennonites, are a group of traditionalist Christian church fellowships that form a subgroup of the Mennonite churches.
    And it's not a religion-based culture.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Epiphany

On the subject of "black culture" and the belief that blacks should act a certain way because of their skin color, I came across this. I would pay money to watch Wayne Brady slap the shit out of Bill Maher's dumbass, who apparently criticized Brady for not being black enough.