Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm not saying there's no reason to separate the products- they're already separated within the sections (dandruff shampoo is here, shampoo for curly hair is there)- but don't people of all ethnicities have hair that requires care, hence "Hair Care"? But really, it was just an example to illustrate the larger point that white is normal and non-white is "other" in our culture. It's not that I care a lot about shampoo.
    Most people of Asian descent can use the same products as people of European descent, and the hair care section is divided into curly, straight/fine, unmanageable, gray etc...people of African descent really do have different hair care needs.

They also put tampons and douche in a separate part of the super market from other bath products, since men don't need those things.

Epiphany

I'm not saying there's no reason to separate the products- but don't people of all ethnicities have hair that requires care, hence "Hair Care"? But really, it was just an example to illustrate the larger point that white is normal and non-white is "other" in our culture. It's not that I care a lot about shampoo.
    So...ethnic hair care products aren't even in the hair care section? I'm gonna have to investigate this next time I go to the store. White is still the majority in this country, yes. I guess that's what some people call "normal." I prefer to call things what they are.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, it was never my intention to get into a big thing about where stuff should go in the grocery store, just to illustrate the point. I could have said that on TV, "normal" families are white, and "urban" families are black.

Things are changing, yes. And a lot of people are fighting the change. How many "I should not have to press 1 to continue in English!!!!" groups do you think there are on Facebook? (Answer: a bunch)

Edit: another example: until pretty recently the "flesh tone" crayon was the color of white skin. It might not seem like a big deal, but to a black kid who is accustomed to feeling like an "other" in this culture, it can reinforce that notion. It's about normal vs. other. That's the takeaway, not a treatise on where hair care products are located in the store.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Then I guess your name "Pseudo" does mean something.
    Whereas as that sentence ^ means ....nothing. Not interested in insult ping pong. I'm outie.

MBTI
    XXFP

There's not really a "White Culture," but white is the default in our culture. Things that are white are "regular," "normal," and non-white is the "other." In the grocery store you've got a "Hair Care" section and as "Ethnic Hair Care" section. The "Hair Care" section has products for people with normal (white) hair; the "Ethnic Hair Care" section is for the people with non-normal hair (people of color). This is just an example- it's pervasive and applies to things much more important than hair care. This stuff is invisible to most white people until it is pointed out (and even then, many deny it- I predict many here will).
    While I agree with the 'assumption of default' bit, considering that the reality is that there actually isn't a true 'default' way to behave, then wouldn't it stand to reason that there is such thing as an assumed "white culture", at least in theory? Obviously culture identifies like these are broad brushes.

Also, at some point I think that speaking to a majority as normal is ok. Most people (in the US, by population %, not just whites but hispanics asians etc) have relatively straight/wavy hair that is texturally different than the hair black people generally (naturally) have. I don't think it's a terrible thing to assume that one group is "normal" when they are, in fact, the typical majority. Non-normal doesn't have to imply inferior.

Perhaps it's dependent on cultural context, but that sort of 'segregation' doesn't seem like (negative) racism as much as it is shopping convenience to have a grouping of hair products that work best for you.

PS I know very little about hair products, but I'd assume that these products are more than just marketing hype and that some products really do work better with very curly hair.

PSS my mom (white, though sort of ethnically ambiguous looking) who had curly hair tended to shop the "ethnic hair" aisle because she seemed to think those products worked well for her.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah, it was never my intention to get into a big thing about where stuff should go in the grocery store, just to illustrate the point. I could have said that on TV, "normal" families are white, and "urban" families are black.

Things are changing, yes. And a lot of people are fighting the change. How many "I should not have to press 1 to continue in English!!!!" groups do you think there are on Facebook? (Answer: a bunch)
    Actually that does piss me off. Not enough to join a stupid group though. Geez.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think that if you have to press 1 for English, and 2 for Spanish, you should also have to press 3 for Chinese, 4 for Russian, 5 for Japanese, 6 for ....

Like social services. They totally have that down.

MBTI
    yupp

hair products is a minute issue here, actually the problem is society's reaction to this not the fact that a black couple adopted a white baby i mean in the 90s white people adopted babies from china and that was the in thing. Now that its a black couple and people still consider on some level blacks inferior its a big deal. what is the difference? you're just being racists by being accepting of white people adopting outside their race but going no no a black person can only adopt black babies, what the frak?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think it should say (if there are only two choices), "press 1 for Spanish" and then just let me move the hell on with what I was trying to do. It's not that I hate Spanish-speakers, it's that I don't live in in a country that speaks 90% Spanish yet. When it gets to the 50/50 point, I'll totally understand and press happily away.

But, I'm one of those individuals who almost physically feels it when seconds are lost out of my life doing something by force that doesn't make sense to me.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram