User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    ". Phyllis was in many ways an unlikely savior. The former president of the Baltimore chapter of the National Association of Black Social Workers, she joined her colleagues in condemning the adoption of black children by white families as "cultural genocide"—a position she still holds in theory, if not in practice. "

wait.. wtf?
    Yeah, that's freaking nuts isnt it? Some people eh?

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I feel like I've been doing all the thinking here. Why don't you tell me what you think white culture is?
    You were the one who declared there was a white culture. Your exact words were:

Black American culture is opposed to White American culture.
    It's simply a question of racial confusion: "Am I Black or White?" Or "Am I part of Black culture or White culture?
    Therefore, it is up to you to explain what you mean by that. I've been pretty clear that I don't think there is a white or black culture. Bill Cosby made a lot of valid points; but the culture that he is referring to is not racially exclusive, nor do all black people belong to it. You are the one who is making it synonymous with race. What part of the article in the op even suggests that the couple identifies with that culture? Why are you assuming that the little girl would even want to be associated with it just because her parents are black?

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, that's freaking nuts isnt it? Some people eh?
    i'm not even at the point of disagreeing with it yet, i just genuinely don't get it.

i mean just... why? how? what? who? where the f' is that coming from?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Just forget what I said. It's not going to do a bit of good.
    Last edited by Thalassa; 04-28-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: like talking to a brick wall

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Racism goes both ways, has since the dawn of time, and some of it (I feel) is natural. Sticking to those that 'look like you' is a natural instinct.. And that stems beyond racism itself into things like perceived social classes, but racism still has a huge motivator there. People literally cannot look at someone even in their same social class and think they 'look like them.' Especially with Baltimore being a heavy low-income black populace, it is so much easier for them to think x or y without batting an eyelash--because it more often than not fits their stereotype mentality, and the self-fulfilling prophecy makes the idea more concrete. But that is just one small picture in a world: it's still inaccurate, and it still causes damage and harm regardless of the intentions.
    yep

You don't have to have a Hitler mentality to think yourself superior to someone. You don't have to think, "ALL WHITE PEOPLE ARE GREAT AND BLACK PEOPLE CAN SUCK IT!" to find yourself supreme in a racist way. Do you know how many white people say, "There's a difference between black people and n-words" with a totally straight face and completely mean it in their heart? People think if they just make exceptions to the rule that it's okay to be racist. "Well, I have black friends and they're cool, so I can hate all those other people I don't know at all."
    Well...those same people probably think there's a difference between themselves and "white trash" too, even if they're white themselves. In that case it's classism, not racism and/or it's frustration with the ignorance of people from impoverished backgrounds.

Because there is a difference in social classes and there is no one "white people culture" nor is there one "black people culture." I'm sure the African-American college professor listening to jazz and collecting hoodoo artifacts from places like Louisiana and Haiti, sipping brandy, and dressing like Bill Cosby doesn't relate at all to rap/ghetto culture, and he may have never had "grape drank" in his entire life.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    ". Phyllis was in many ways an unlikely savior. The former president of the Baltimore chapter of the National Association of Black Social Workers, she joined her colleagues in condemning the adoption of black children by white families as "cultural genocide"—a position she still holds in theory, if not in practice. "

wait.. wtf?
    Maybe she's doing it as a secret act of vengeance!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I can see where the concern over cultural genocide comes from. First, the dominant culture or at least the media culture in the US is pretty overpowering. It's kind of like an invasive species of cultures. It doesn't do a lot of groups any favors in the way it represents them. People absorb those ideas, even about their own groups. It's insidious and often malignant.

Then, the rate at which we incarcerate young black men. Stop and frisk, drug laws, etc. It's pretty crazy.

Plus, there are a lot of white people wanting to adopt babies and there aren't enough white babies for all the white couples that want them. So often, they adopt kids of other races and/or from other countries. This basically culturally assimilates kids from other cultures into the dominant culture.

It's a thorny problem because there likely aren't enough black foster and adoptive families for the black kids in the system. The number of black kids in the system is probably reflective of the social ills and systemic prejudices black people face.

And there's the thing where we can simultaneously hold prejudices about groups of people while at the same time, making exceptions for individuals. I kind of am white trash and I don't like rich people as a group, but some of 'em are okay or even pretty great. I also don't like cops, but once again, some of them are good people.

As far as the little white girl goes, she was a little white kid in the foster system and was so difficult to care for that she couldn't be adopted out. Little white kids are a hot commodity as a general rule, so it must have been pretty bad. She was likely a crack baby or born addicted to something. She was being passed from one family that didn't want her to another, then finally, this woman that probably doesn't care much for white people felt bad enough for her that she adopted her. The child will face some stupid stuff because she's in a racially blended family, but the advantages of having a family so far exceed the disadvantages of spending her entire childhood in the system that I'd consider the disadvantages negligible by comparison.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    XXFP

Re: Cultural Genocide

Bosnia was a good (horrific) example of where this arguably has been practiced. The rape of women of the enemy ethnic group was a militarized practice. Arguably there were many goals of this, but in many cases the rapes resulted in pregnancy and left a group of children without a clear identity. This could be described as ethnic cleansing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_the_Bosnian_War

Early United Nations investigations concluded that "Rape has been reported to have been committed by all sides to the conflict. However, the largest number of reported victims have been Bosnian Muslims, and the largest number of alleged perpetrators have been Bosnian Serbs. There are few reports of rape and sexual assault between members of the same ethnic group."[19] It has been claimed that "For the Serbs, the desire to degrade, humiliate, and impregnate Bosnian Muslim women with ‘little Chetniks’ was paramount."[26] Women were forced to go full term with their pregnancies and give birth.[26] Many of the reports of the abuses illustrated the ethnic dimension of the rapes.
    In the aftermath of the conflict, ethnic identity is now of much greater social importance in Bosnia than it was prior to 1992. From the 1960s to the war, the percentage of mixed marriages between communities has been close to 12% and young citizens would often refer to themselves as Bosnians rather than identifying their ethnicity.[34] After the conflict it has been effectively mandatory to be identified as either Bosniak, Serb or Croat and this has been a problem for the children of rape victims as they come of age.[34]
    This sort of ethnic cleansing can only work in a society that believes strongly in the lines between groups, and war between those groups has solidified those lines. Considering the continuing history of racism in this country, I can understand the core concept, however, I think those percieved lines are eroding. Certainly, these are not the days of slavery, but it wasn't that long ago that we had separate water fountains for whites and 'coloreds' in this country.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Here was one of the source articles of the quotes posted above:

Children born of rape come of age in Bosnia
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incom...rticle1096015/

"Bosnia has a problem with identity, you cannot be a citizen in Bosnia unless you have a fixed ethnic identity, and these children pose a huge problem," says Mujesira Hasanovic in her office at Vive Zene, a centre for traumatized women not far from the orphanage. Her centre has dealt with hundreds of women who were raped in prison camps near here. While many had illicit abortions, a significant number had children, who were often given away or put up for adoption.

"How are they ever going to tell these children who their fathers are? How are they going to settle their ethnic identity? It's a huge problem."
    "Under the laws here, you can't identify yourself as 'Bosnian.' You have to be Serb, Bosniak [Muslim]or Croat," Ms. Hasanovic says. "The law doesn't recognize anything else. . . . The best you can do, as a protest, is to put 'other,' and then you could lose out on government services and jobs."
    First off, take a moment to be thankful you're not in Bosnia.

Ok, then, to relate this to the United States, certainly we don't have such laws in place, but you could argue that there are (still) existing social stigmas in place against mixed race/unclear race groups.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I can see where the concern over cultural genocide comes from.
    Though Phyllis doesn't seem concerned about preserving the child's culture (whatever that means), I'm curious what culture she fears is threatened by white couples adopting black children. African culture? Specifically, what customs, beliefs and behaviors is she referring to? And are they worth preserving at the cost of possibly depriving a child of a healthy family?

Society is constantly changing, and along with that so are the cultures that exist within it. Cultures should change, as well. Case in point, slavery and segregation were both acceptable practices in the US before the culture evolved and abolished them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    This sort of ethnic cleansing can only work in a society that believes strongly in the lines between groups, and war between those groups has solidified those lines. Considering the continuing history of racism in this country, I can understand the core concept, however, I think those percieved lines are eroding. Certainly, these are not the days of slavery, but it wasn't that long ago that we had separate water fountains for whites and 'coloreds' in this country.
    I think the people who constantly reinforce those lines are creating unnecessary conflict, especially when race becomes analogous to culture and any grievance against a particular culture is then attributed to racism. It's circular.