Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Where did you get "won't understand her race or culture"? It's simply a question of racial confusion: "Am I Black or White?" Or "Am I part of Black culture or White culture?" The fact that people DO identify race or ethnicity with culture is relevant, not the idea that people change cultures for some reason.

I agree with what you said about stereotypes, because these stereotypes are part of what makes for Black American culture. Culture is distinguished in part by the food the individuals partake in, be it Kosher food, or watermelon and "purple drank."
    Did you really just say watermelon and purple drank?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Mal I agree with you that having completely different physical features than EITHER parent can probably be disconcerting for any adopted child, I do understand what you're saying on the racial end for that reason alone; also in genetic families, other traits such as neuroticism or other questionable traits are shared because of physical inheritance. I do agree with you for that reason.

But let me tell you something, son. I'm German, Scots-Irish, and two different Native tribes, and I can assure you that my "culture" growing up was mostly West Virginia with some German overtones, like an extremely orderly house and celebrating Christmas on Christmas Eve. The only time I realized we were Irish was on New Year's when we ate cabbage with money in it, or when I saw a documentary saying the Southern accent is a warped Irish accent. Native aspects, such as the fact that we are comfortable running around barefoot, is actually part of the overall West Virginia culture.

And I can assure you that if I give birth to a child someday, it will not psychologically scar them if I feed them borscht.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Some people identify race with culture. Why do you think she would find it necessary to identify with either so-called "white" or "black" culture? Though I would argue there is no such thing. You seem determined to label people.

Are you really concerned about the psychological wellbeing of this girl? Because there are a lot of fucked up kids who are raised by their biological parents.
    Let me put it this way: I don't give a fuck about Katie, her parents, or the rest of the world for that matter.

But my questions come from the article and they must be good discussion points. Or else why are you here?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I've already explained that there isn't a homogenous white culture or black culture so what really would she be questioning?. Her culture will probably differ from other white and black people's. again you're conflating race an culture to a point thy makes no sense. there is not some epic difference between American black and white culture.

I don't know if your just trying to get a rise out of me but Black Americans don't all regularly eat watermelon or purple drank. It's not a sacred or traditional food for black people. Those stereotypes are meant to degrade black people and are not indicative of their culture. Basically it akin to arguing that hair grease and the mafia are part of what make Italian culture.
    Is there or is there not such a thing as Italian food? Why is it considered Italian? Why is it that I can visit an Italian restaurant that features greasy, authentic, ethnic Italian food?

Ask Black people about Black culture, and why it is specific to certain dark-skinned people who believe that they are all victims of White racial aggression. Don't ask me, because I want no part of any cultural identity or ideas about racial supremacy. That's not me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Let me put it this way: I don't give a fuck about Katie, her parents, or the rest of the world for that matter.
    And how do you feel about atomic bombs?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    And how do you feel about atomic bombs?
    How about we not drift that far from the actual topic? I have feelings about the race issue and any injustices that carry along with it.

Epiphany

Is there or is there not such a thing as Italian food? Why is it considered Italian? Why is it that I can visit an Italian restaurant that features greasy, authentic, ethnic Italian food?

Ask Black people about Black culture, and why it is specific to certain dark-skinned people who believe that they are all victims of White racial aggression. Don't ask me, because I want no part of any cultural identity or ideas about racial supremacy. That's not me.
    Whatever culture you are referring to is not specific to dark-skinned people. That's the problem. Nor do all dark-skinned people belong to that culture. What cultural attributes are you referring to specifically? And in contrast, what are the characteristics of "white culture" that you keep referring to? Maybe that will help people understand where you are coming from.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Whatever culture you are referring to is not specific to dark-skinned people. That's the problem. Nor do all dark-skinned people belong to that culture. What cultural attributes are you referring to specifically? And in contrast, what are the characteristics of "white culture" that you keep referring to? Maybe these distinctions will help people understand where you are coming from.
    Throughout the thread I've been referring to Black American culture, and not the Bill Cosby culture which opposes it. Black American culture is opposed to White American culture. Much of the former is political in nature. http://blackpolitics.com/

Epiphany

Throughout the thread I've been referring to Black American culture, and not the Bill Cosby culture which opposes it. Black American culture is opposed to White American culture. Much of the former is political in nature. http://blackpolitics.com/
    In your own words, what differentiates these diametrically opposed cultures? Sure, I've heard the term "black culture" before by both black and white people to associate certain music, fashion, attitudes and ideas to the black population. But I know black people who don't want to be associated with that culture at all, and they are even deemed as "traitors to their race," by some. There are white people and members of other races who identity with that culture, as well. Does that make them black? Of course not.

Now, you tell us what your definition of white culture is.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ok, I don't know if you have me on "ignore" but I was really trying to help you with my post, and you didn't get it (or didn't read it). Even "white people culture" is different.

If my sub-race is North Atlantic-Alpinid (Caucasoid) and Cherokee/Shawnee (Mongoloid, as in deriving from Mongols, unless you believe Native Americans are a fourth race, which I don't, because they just say it was a really long time ago, not that it didn't happen, so that makes them a separate sub-race, not a separate race), ...and I grow up with vaguely German middle class, and vaguely Irish working class, and random small interspersion of Native American things like running around barefoot and eating corn bread, forms of culture...do I recognize all of this racially?

If I had been adopted by Russian people who were also "white"...I doubt I would have been any the wiser because I was eating borscht and kvass and celebrating Christmas in January than I would have been eating cabbage with money in it, rolladen and celebrating Christmas on Dec. 24 and not understanding why everyone else loves boring-as-hell Dec 25.

The main recognition problem, with ANY adopted child, is not resembling either parent physically.

There are different kinds of "black culture." All African-Americans don't drink "purple drank." You really need to stop.