Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    It doesn't matter how people treat you (so long as not violently). There is a huge difference between your community disliking an action and government prohibiting that action.

What about this time context makes the removal of 1st amendment rights from law abiding american citizens okay?
    National security.

Finally, suppose one does think muslims are the enemy. Why would you want to have them assimilate and be undistinguishable from everyone else? It makes no sense. If they were hiding and being secretive a burqa isn't going to be the best option. And even if you force them to dress "american" that's doesn't prevent people from committing crimes. Basically it's just preventing people from being identifiably muslim to assuage the fears of people who associate all muslims with terrorism, while not actually improving national security.
    Yes actually Muslims who commit acts of terrorism usually appear to be largely educated and Westernized to a degree, smart enough to pull it off, so it were.

However, I do agree with Ann Coulter on one thing: they aren't assimilating to us, we're assimilating to them.

Case in point: the wife of the bomber was American and dropped out of college to marry him. I'm guessing that if there is any honesty in what Ann Coulter says, it's her outrage about this woman being an American.

She shoots from the hip and runs her mouth and uses hyperbole to draw attention to what she's saying; she's divisive and yet there's something about her that is kind of like honey-badger-doesn't-give-a-fuck.

If she means what she says (and I once believed that she did, and wasn't just exaggerating and performing) ...then she never once thinks about the logic of what she's saying. Which makes her drop from cold, calculating INTJ to ExFJ of some kind, seeing as that she's like 50, her thinking function would have to be last.

WALMART

This is the kind of stuff....

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    National security.
    Explain how limiting free expression prevent terror?

Yes actually Muslims who commit acts of terrorism usually appear to be largely educated and Westernized to a degree, smart enough to pull it off, so it were.

However, I do agree with Ann Coulter on one thing: they aren't assimilating to us, we're assimilating to them.

Case in point: the wife of the bomber was American and dropped out of college to marry him. I'm guessing that if there is any honesty is what Ann Coulter says, it's her outrage about this woman being an American.
    Firstly what exactly are the supposed to assimilate too? American society is and always has been diverse, so the idea that they should adopt "our" culture really doesn't make sense until we identify our national culture. We can't even seem to do that for ourselves based on the problems we encounter every election cycle.

Then, the idea that we are assimilating to them. Who is them? What is their culture? Again the cultural diversity of immigrants, even among muslim immigrants, is so broad as to make this statements nonsensical. Also, is this sole based on the choice of a very small minority of adult women to convert to islam. Therefor these women have no right to choose their religion or how they would like to dress because they have some obligation to maintain american culture. What about women who want to be buddhists or who want to dress in robes. Should they be limited to prevent assimilation to other cultures. And beyond that the idea that America as a whole is being culturally absorbed by Islam....I see no evidence of that.

I think it again stems from the unhealthy scapegoating of muslim and middle eastern people to the point were we can't even accept them as part of our society in the way we do with other groups. The fact that most large Cities have a chinatown, a korea town, a little italy, a little odessa. No one bring that up as "cultural destruction", despite the fact that it's literally enclaves of people maintaining an outside culture within the united states.

Near me there is a Korea town so insulated that they have problems with all the signs being in Korean and the paramedics getting lost. People come to my job who've lived here for years and don't speak any english. Even "americanized teens" who only speak korean at all korean schools. Why should I be angered or threatened by them? let them do their thing I'll do mine.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm not going to argue about this stuff anymore, I just agree that Ann Coulter is wrong and illogical in her insistence that women wearing hijab should go to prison, I think hijab should be freely allowed, and I don't think any woman should go to *prison* even for wearing a niqab or burqua though I don't think they're good cultural symbols for anyone in the Western world to embrace.

So either Ann is one trollin' INTJ expert, or one exaggerating, do-it-to-grab-attention-to-your-real-morals-histrionic Socionics ENFj.

And that's all I have to say about this. The rest of the discussion will not be productive and is not related to the OP, which I mostly agree with.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

The Boondocks' depiction of Anne Coulter is great. It just makes so much sense.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yep she is like me "All I know is they'd better not stop this war in Iraq, or I'll have to start stripping."

So either Ann is one trollin' INTJ expert, or one exaggerating, do-it-to-grab-attention-to-your-real-morals-histrionic Socionics ENFj.
    Lol surely she's xSTJ?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It's a nonsense issue.

She has every right to say that she believes women should be thrown in jail for wearing a hijab.

And all hijab-wearing women have a right to wear them without being thrown into jail. The same law protects both of them.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

Anne should be president

MBTI
    INTJ

There are plenty of women that wear the hijab (and burka for that matter) that do it because they believe that is what should be done. Is it stupid? In my opinion, yes, but I wonder how Christian conservative people would feel if we started outlawing behavior that is socially enforced by Christians just because other people think it is oppressive.

No single person or group is worth getting rid of American civil rights.

I am much more afraid of this
    National security.
    than of terrorism.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume