Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The goal is not symbolic or cultural rebellion, and has nothing to do with the Boston bombings. More and more public places nowadays have cameras that record the comings and goings of passers-by. I just don't like the idea that I can be identified or even tracked that way. Yes, I value modesty, but I value privacy and anonymity far more.
    It has everything to do with the Boston bombings. Libertarians won't stop screaming about how authoritarian our government is even when given glaring evidence to the contrary, that our national mentality is "wow we better prove to the world how open-minded we are." Ooops. And I think this point is hilariously made since Russia was the one gave the tip. "DO NOT LOOK LIKE COMMUNISS. WE MAY SCARE THE NATIVES."

Cameras are used by all kinds of private homes and businesses as security, many security cameras are actually installed to record acts of theft or violence against private or corporate property.

And cameras in government buildings aren't any different, as they tend to be more targeted for attack.

Do you suggest we just let drunk drivers and people who hit-and-run pedestrians go free? Does that validate your sense of personal privacy?

I'm not saying that invasion of privacy is a good thing, but the usage of technology to protect ourselves is not merely a government phenomenon, it's widely privatized, and also widely used for other things other than acts of terrorism.

Also the invasion of privacy mentality has more to do with things like reality tv, youtube, and the Internet than the government.

Settle down out of your ideological bias and try to view this more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by kyli_ryan View Post
    Wow, you really got the religious doctrine down. Once again-- you are using governmental and cultural bodies to define a religion. Go to the texts of the religion and try to continue your claims about oppression, etc... then you may hold some weight in your arguments...
    Please! I helped found and fund the Muslim Students' Association at the Australian National University and I have studied the Koran and the Hadith.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2wX so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Please! I helped found and fund the Muslim Students' Association at the Australian National University and I have studied the Koran and the Hadith.
    Well, that cleared everything up.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

But why should we be surprised when the OIC have openly and publicly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in favour of Sharia?
    Just as the U.S. withdrew from the World Court, and refuses to ratify the Kyoto Protocols?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Cameras are used by all kinds of private homes and businesses as security, many security cameras are actually installed to record acts of theft or violence against private or corporate property.

And cameras in government buildings aren't any different, as they tend to be more targeted for attack.

Do you suggest we just let drunk drivers and people who hit-and-run pedestrians go free? Does that validate your sense of personal privacy?

I'm not saying that invasion of privacy is a good thing, but the usage of technology to protect ourselves is not merely a government phenomenon, it's widely privatized, and also widely used for other things other than acts of terrorism.

Also the invasion of privacy mentality has more to do with things like reality tv, youtube, and the Internet than the government.
    I take precautions where those are concerned as well. Our society has prosecuted drunk or reckless drivers, thieves, vandals, and other criminals long before security cameras became commonplace, just as cops gave out speeding tickets long before the advent of radar guns. There is nothing wrong with these goals, just the methods now used to reach them. They attempt to take the easy way out, offer false confidence to authorities, and promote sloppy investigative police work.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Just as the U.S. withdrew from the World Court, and refuses to ratify the Kyoto Protocols?
    The US and Oz have both signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which 57 Islamic nations have rejected.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The US and Oz have both signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which 57 Islamic nations have rejected.
    But the U.S. has still not passed an equal rights amendment at home. Does that make us hypocrites?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Let me ask you this question, Victor:

Do you think the Muslim students you helped in Australia were "archetypical" Muslims?
    You keep talking about the Muslim world just like if you had only met Jihadist, Wahhabi, Al Qaïdist or Muslim Brotherhood missionaries in your entire life.

If you want to persuade us that these movements are Totalitarian by nature, and that they should not be underestimated, I would fully agree and you know it. Any Totalitarian movement is an enemy of civilization as we universally define it. But come on: have you ever set foot in Turkey, Azerbaïdjan, Kazakhstan or Morocco? Do you think we are talking about the same religion??? Don't you think there are local cultural and political factors at stake?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP

1.) And a damn good thing, too.

2.) Neither of those treaties were about rights, much less fundamental rights such as religious freedom or free speech, which the OIC opposes. Your ERA example is much better example of hypocrisy, as equality under the law qualifies as a fundamental right, though in practice any inequalities under law that are in place in the United States as a result of the ERA's failure* pale in comparison to the religious persecution, gender inequality, and civil liberties restrictions that the OIC endorses.

*I can't immediately think of any that are detrimental to women relative to men, outside of the military. Feel free to educate me on the subject, I genuinely want to know about any injustices that are as bad as those endorsed by the OIC.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    have you ever set foot in Turkey, Azerbaïdjan, Kazakhstan or Morocco? Do you think we are talking about the same religion??? Don't you think there are local cultural and political factors at stake?
    I haven't as much set a toe in Turkey, Azerbaïdjan, Kazakhstan or Morocco, never mind a foot. No dear Blackmail, you are our man in Morocco. Sometimes I cast myself as Victor Laszlo, while I cast you as Captain Louis Renault, so I must rely upon you to know which cultural and political factors are at stake.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I take precautions where those are concerned as well. Our society has prosecuted drunk or reckless drivers, thieves, vandals, and other criminals long before security cameras became commonplace, just as cops gave out speeding tickets long before the advent of radar guns. There is nothing wrong with these goals, just the methods now used to reach them. They attempt to take the easy way out, offer false confidence to authorities, and promote sloppy investigative police work.
    Proof on video is false or sloppy police work? It's more more accurate. Image on film.

I'm not sure what your argument is here, I don't understand.