User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Woman arrested 396 times...

http://www.suntimes.com/19542640-761...he-system.html

How should these people be dealt with, from an ethical stand point? This is not uncommon. 396 times might be excessive, but most criminals out there are "career criminals" that circulate in and out of the justice system. The justice system is bogged down with these repeat offenders, and the financial cost is significant. Is this just the way it is, and the way its got to be, or is there a better, more cost effective solution?

WALMART

mars penal colony

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There will always be some people who are problem cases. The better approach for the justice system is to remove all the unnecessary costs coming from those who aren't problem cases. Decriminalizing drugs would cut the number of convictions down dramatically. Decriminalizing prostitution would not have as much of an affect, but it would also free up some resources.

In this case of this woman, the article says that she's acutely psychotic. Her behavior may also be like Anti-social PD. But it doesn't really matter what the exact diagnosis is because at a certain point they sort of run together and become indistinguishable. Odds are, she should be in a mental ward or something to that effect for the rest of her life. There's nothing else that can be done with her to prevent her from being a problem, except for execution, which would be totally inappropriate. And if you think such an arrangement might be expensive, it's likely not as expensive as arresting and releasing her over and over again.

I do believe people like her are rare enough that they alone do not pose a serious fiscal problem. Like I said, focus on all the unnecessary costs like the pot smokers.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

She's mentally ill, smart guys. People who are arrested over and over again who are drunk or drugged or incoherent have deep-seated emotional or psychological problems that will never be fixed by locking her in a cage, in fact prison often makes mentally disturbed people worse, not better.

I agree with Professor Killjoy, and think the first two posts were made by ISTJs.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    She's mentally ill, smart guys. People who are arrested over and over again who are drunk or drugged or incoherent have deep-seated emotional or psychological problems that will never be fixed by locking her in a cage, in fact prison often makes mentally disturbed people worse, not better.

I agree with Professor Killjoy, and think the first two posts were made by ISTJs.

My martian penal colony is equipped to provide these people with a life unable to be fully realized here Earth-side.

Think two parts Butcher's Bay, one part Arkham Asylum and three parts Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

What if people could just be declared out lawed as in no longer protected by the law after a certain point and anyone who wanted to exact any sort of punishment in response to their behaviour would not be sanctioned?

Just one of about a dozen really radical ideas I've heard in relation to criminal justice.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The criminal justice system in the UK deliberately attempts to exclude from incarceration the mentally ill, I can think of at least three cases immediately in which this cost lives, in case of two the victims were school children and one of the rang their mother and told them that they loved them as they bleed out.

The criminal justice system in the UK is something like a treatment rather than punishment system anyway, in one facility a patrol was put on to stop a number of people climbing the wall with a ladder in order to stay there.

MBTI
    ISTx

Uhhh, I asked for people to give their 2 cents on solutions. There's really no reason to bring in your myers briggs prejudice to this thread.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Uhhh, I asked for people to give their 2 cents on solutions. There's really no reason to bring in your myers briggs prejudice to this thread.
    I was teasing @jontherobot, and I seem to recall you typed yourself as ISTJ for an exceedingly long time.

No prejudice, son.

MBTI
    ISTx

I was teasing @jontherobot, and I seem to recall you typed yourself as ISTJ for an exceedingly long time.

No prejudice, son.
    I am an ISTJ... As much an individual can be confined strictly to one of 16 types.

If what you said was in jest, then disregard my defensiveness.