User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Explosion in Texas

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread about this yet.

It annoys me that people are losing their shit over what happened in Boston, but are oblivious when it comes to Texas, where an explosion killed several times as many people and destroyed many homes, a nursing facility, and a school. In the end, what happened in Boston is going to result in more loss of our freedom (Patriot Act II), while agencies like OSHA will continue to be underfunded and corporations will continue to not be held responsible for their negligence.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Yeah, heard about it yesterday, but wow@ that video. Is it true that there is something in fertilizer that is explosive?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Yeah, Chechen bombers, Ricin attacks, accidental explosion nearly wipes out texas and then two days of shoot outs with the Chechen terrorists.

I sort of think if this shit isnt all proxy struggles by the American radical right then its some sort of power play by the Russians.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yeah, heard about it yesterday, but wow@ that video. Is it true that there is something in fertilizer that is explosive?
    Depends on the fertilizer. Ammonium Nitrate is explosive as hell. I'm not aware of what this plant was processing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

It's been reported that they did have ammonium nitrate, and 54,000 pounds of anhydrous ammonia.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm surprised that there isn't a thread about this yet.

It annoys me that people are losing their shit over what happened in Boston, but are oblivious when it comes to Texas, where an explosion killed several times as many people and destroyed many homes, a nursing facility, and a school. In the end, what happened in Boston is going to result in more loss of our freedom (Patriot Act II), while agencies like OSHA will continue to be underfunded and corporations will continue to not be held responsible for their negligence.

While this is indeed a tragedy beyond measure that needs to be addressed, it's kinda common sense that more initial attention may be concentrated on a dangerous, desperate individual still at large in the community, armed with guns and explosives- and more than willing to discharge those on people. The explosion in TX already happened, and while it's nightmarish, the imminent danger has passed, unlike what is presently going on in Massachusetts. I don't think anyone's necessarily oblivious to the events in Texas, but it stands to reason they'll be more apt to overtly react to an ongoing volatile situation that may yet result in further loss of life.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    It's been reported that they did have ammonium nitrate, and 54,000 pounds of anhydrous ammonia.
    Yeah, given the plant's sketchy past inspections, it's probably safe to say the cause likely was linked to that high volume of anhydrous ammonia in one place, improperly stored.

"Ammonia is directly or indirectly the precursor to most nitrogen-containing compounds. Virtually all synthetic nitrogen compounds are derived from ammonia. An important derivative is nitric acid. This key material is generated via the Ostwald process by oxidation of ammonia with air over a platinum catalyst at 700–850 °C, ~9 atm. Nitric oxide is an intermediate in this conversion:
    NH3 + 2 O2 → HNO3 + H2O
    Nitric acid is used for the production of fertilizers, explosives, and many organonitrogen compounds."

/sidenote -Taking that^ concrete data into consideration, along with evidence about the man charged with the ricin-tainted letter attacks-- that he was a random nutjob under the delusion the govt had some elaborate conspiracy.. it's beyond me how anyone could possibly conclude that these events (along with what's happened here in Massachusetts) are connected to one another. The degree of absurdity in such reasoning is almost embarrassing.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    While this is indeed a tragedy beyond measure that needs to be addressed, it's kinda common sense that more initial attention may be concentrated on a dangerous, desperate individual still at large in the community, armed with guns and explosives- and more than willing to discharge those on people. The explosion in TX already happened, and while it's nightmarish, the imminent danger has passed,
    If it's a product of institutional corporate negligence, then the danger has not passed at all.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    If it's a product of institutional corporate negligence, then the danger has not passed at all.
    I made it a point to say 'imminent' danger for this reason (perhaps I should've said 'acute'). Obviously safety standards need to be addressed, but the odds of another plant exploding in the next 72 hours, even, seem quite slim to me. I'll note that I'm not trying to downplay what's occurred and what needs to be done for West, Texas in any way. The chances this guy in Boston will inflict further immediate damage on the community appear to be higher, at the moment, however-- thus the heavily concentrated media coverage. I'm not saying it's "right" or "fair," but I can understand the reasoning behind it, I think.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's not just corporate negligence the whole country is to blame. We continue to want to have cheap food-like substances to sustain us no matter what the hidden costs may be. There's a serious question as to whether it's all that wise to be pumping nitrogen fertilizer into the ground across the country.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    It's not just corporate negligence the whole country is to blame. We continue to want to have cheap food-like substances to sustain us no matter what the hidden costs may be. There's a serious question as to whether it's all that wise to be pumping nitrogen fertilizer into the ground across the country.
    Especially stuff like anhydrous ammonia.

Ammonium nitrate itself is not very toxic when used as a fertilizer, but the anhydrous ammonia which is used to create it can be deadly.