User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    They might not be punishing her for no reason, but they are punishing her specifically for no reason.
    i.e. the punishment is misdirected. It's simply not proper or ethical.

This is not an acceptable practice.

Furthermore, non-chronic tardiness should not be 'criminalized'. It's a poor attitude to have. Having a lunch study to make up lost material is perfectly acceptable and in itself might have a deterring effect.

There's no excuse for having it be anything but "We understand that you didn't intend to be late, but you still have to make up some time."
    Well, first, it is sort of chronic. The girl had to be tardy a certain number of times beforehand. And the article does not say whether they contact parents the first couple of times a tardy is administered, but I don't see a single school district not covering their asses with some sort of half-assed letter being sent out. Even our crappy school did the whole mechanical phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Punishing a little kid for something a parent did. By all means, teach the child to recognize incompetence at an early age.

*roots for 6-year-old *
    :/ I mean.. kind of. I started realizing around the age of 7/8ish that adults were not all smart, good, wonderful people with all their shit together. This is about the time you really start learning that some adults are bad, to protect yourself, that your parents need to be informed of everything, etc.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Well, first, it is sort of chronic. The girl had to be tardy a certain number of times beforehand. And the article does not say whether they contact parents the first couple of times a tardy is administered, but I don't see a single school district not covering their asses with some sort of half-assed letter being sent out. Even our crappy school did the whole mechanical phone call.
    Ah. That's my fault for not actually reading the article. I'd assumed it was a one time thing.

And yeah, my school had automatic phone calls if you missed a significant portion of any class, but they also allowed for excuses. If you can't get there, then you can't get there. No magic will help with that.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You know, I don't think school's purpose should be to teach children folksy, worldly, life lessons, or to hammer them into a social condition. Now, in my life, I've come across many people who actually think that's the primary purpose of school, but if anything the kind of people they were inclined me to harden my position.

As such, I don't think teaching children about the world's ample quantity of bullshit justifies subjecting a young child to a big wad of said bullshit.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

garbage

There's still a chance for her to learn about personal responsibility out of this one.

After all, her parents were desperately trying to absorb the consequences of their own actions--the dad admits full-on that it's his responsibility to get the kids ready, the mom wanted to volunteer for the school. Depending on how they sit her down and explain what they're doing, they could be very good role models for their daughter, by teaching her that sometimes, life isn't fair--but we ought to strive as much as possible to make it so.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's why it's not really this kid I'm worried about after reading this story. She'll be fine- it sucks that she got punished for something she had no control over but she knows her parents are on her side and they seem like they're counteracting the effect of the punishment. It's the kids without good parents for allies that will respond to this kind of policy with resentment. Schools would do well to reserve this kind of adversarial shit for times when it's truly necessary, and try to stay in touch with the students instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think it's ridiculous and cruel. It also doesn't surprise me.
    My thinking too.

I think as thinks like tardiness piss people off more or just being pissed off becomes more common there's going to be a lot of punishments handed out by pissed off people because they can.

I mean this instance is not going to make sure that the parents are more punctual, especially not when their first reaction to it is to challenge it so no lesson is being learned by anyone, child or parents.

MBTI
    ISTP

What I don't understand is why this is on the news... "kid gets unfair detention... news at 11."

Yeah, happened to me too... wrong place at the wrong time. Only difference is I wasn't 6, but still, I'm not traumatized over it. Probably happens all the time.

WALMART

So again, this girl was late to school at the very least five times.

Everyone can have an opinion, but I don't see very many people here offering ideas to resolve the situation... presuming you even find punctuality of importance to begin with.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You know, I don't think school's purpose should be to teach children folksy, worldly, life lessons, or to hammer them into a social condition. Now, in my life, I've come across many people who actually think that's the primary purpose of school, but if anything the kind of people they were inclined me to harden my position.

As such, I don't think teaching children about the world's ample quantity of bullshit justifies subjecting a young child to a big wad of said bullshit.
    I wasn't making the argument that anything was justified. Only that, there can be many valuable lessons that come from potentially shitty situations. I learned that my father could handle anything life threw at him with a bit of respectful words, a hard disposition, and an intolerance for anyone shoving him to the side. I learned that watching him handle my shitty situations in school, and I took that with me in teaching my youngest sister--and I see it in her now that's she's older.

It isn't justified for the school to be so 'mean'.. or whatever. But schools are mean. Why is it that the story makes it seem like everyone is crying about it like the school is this big, bad machine suddenly that blind sided everyone? Why not just handle it as adults, and teach the kid some important lesson out of it and move on?

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    There's still a chance for her to learn about personal responsibility out of this one.

After all, her parents were desperately trying to absorb the consequences of their own actions--the dad admits full-on that it's his responsibility to get the kids ready, the mom wanted to volunteer for the school. Depending on how they sit her down and explain what they're doing, they could be very good role models for their daughter, by teaching her that sometimes, life isn't fair--but we ought to strive as much as possible to make it so.
    This is what I am saying exactly. I don't think the event is traumatizing (though I could see it being so if the parents did nothing and were turning a blind eye... but then, why would it be on the news?) or anything like that.. Sometimes the system sucks you into places it didn't mean for because it's focused on the majority. You have to learn to deal with things like that--even at an early age.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That's why it's not really this kid I'm worried about after reading this story. She'll be fine- it sucks that she got punished for something she had no control over but she knows her parents are on her side and they seem like they're counteracting the effect of the punishment. It's the kids without good parents for allies that will respond to this kind of policy with resentment. Schools would do well to reserve this kind of adversarial shit for times when it's truly necessary, and try to stay in touch with the students instead.
    I can agree with this.. The article might have spent more time being focused on the tardy policy itself instead of making the school look like a giant monster trying to eat little kids at night. If the school kept trying to contact the parents during the chronic tardy days, then.. well we just don't know if they did or did not is the problem. The article is written on a bias.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    So again, this girl was late to school at the very least five times.

Everyone can have an opinion, but I don't see very many people here offering ideas to resolve the situation... presuming you even find punctuality of importance to begin with.
    The resolution, to me, is that the parents should have taken their daughter out of detention, gone to the assistant principal or whoever they go to, and had a serious talk with them about the situation. I don't know if they did that and the school said eff off and THAT'S why they went to the news, or if they went straight to the news and so the school was like "what?! You didnt even give us a chance to fix it? eff off, then! Its policy!"

But either way, schools are SO strict about having multiple layers of contact with parents and students (especially elementary school.. @_@ dear god I hated that paperwork..) that I find it hard to imagine the school didn't contact the parents at least once about imminent detention.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILE

You are wrong in thinking that a 6 yo should be punished for something outside her control. That is different from you standing up for yourself.