Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Conscious Capitalism

Conscious capitalism is not just high theory: the book contains numerous case studies, starting with the $16 billion grocery-store chain that Mackey has been directing since the early 1980s. In the grocery business, traditionally known for its low margins, Whole Foods has achieved high margins and does so with little advertising: customers are the stores’ best advocates. Despite volatility, its stock has handily outperformed every index, has a return on equity of 13.7 percent, and is near an all-time high.

Whole Foods has been listed on the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For rankings since 1998. Employees—“team members”—receive above-average wages and benefits, including medical savings accounts and “wellness centers.” There are lots of built-in incentives to improve performance and earn more.

Whole Foods has created some of the most innovative labor policies anywhere, including a.) a cap on total compensation, including bonuses, for any employee at 19 times the average pay of all workers; b.) total transparency in salaries and wages; and c.) the same benefits, including stock options, for all full-time employees. This radical approach seems to be working: the company has a turnover rate of less than 10 percent a year.
    Whole Foods Better Business

Though I know they've experienced controversy for being anti-union, they as a business are fairly impressive, and operate so ethically, that just perhaps, they actually don't need a union policy?

What do you think?

Banned
    MBTI
    what
    Enneagram
    wha
    Socionics
    i do

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Though I know they've experienced controversy for being anti-union
    the horse thing? why would be again them?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've read that Costco, Trader Joe's, and Quik-Trip also pay living wages, etc and are plenty profitable. It seems to indicate that it can be done. I wish I had any of those places close enough to shop at or better yet, work at.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

WALMART

Uhaul is a major anti-union company, it ran in the veins of the "lifers", people who realized Uhaul was a decent company that paid decent wages for doing decent work.

I'd say of anyone above the lowest yard-level worker, 45% of them had been working for Uhaul for 7+ years. They are good to their people, much as the company you've cited is.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    the horse thing? why would be again them?
    You are, hands down, one of the least witty trolls I've ever witnessed.

Maybe you're young, but you need to work on it, son.

LAME.

Banned
    MBTI
    what
    Enneagram
    wha
    Socionics
    i do

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You are, hands down, one of the least witty trolls I've ever witnessed.

Maybe you're young, but you need to work on it, son.

LAME.
    this confuses me as i do not know how my text could have perceived as intentional witty. i am not particular witty person so i do not try, i have make one joke since join this forum. i am sure you could find it if you quite desperate to point out how i am lame.

but i have advise for you, it is bad idea to respond abusive to person you suspect troll as they often goal is to illicit response of that kind

Honestly, I don't believe in a Conscious Capitalism. Because within every business is a group of people wanting money, whether they justify getting that money through funding charity, giving their workers the lowest wage possible, or becoming anti-union....

However, I do like businesses that do not follow economics/business 101 model (maximize profits at the expense of workers/neighborhoods/insert role.)

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I've read that Costco, Trader Joe's, and Quik-Trip also pay living wages, etc and are plenty profitable. It seems to indicate that it can be done. I wish I had any of those places close enough to shop at or better yet, work at.
    And, THAT, is the reason why I love living within driving distance between both Costco and Trader Joes.

I can skip past Wal Mart and Sam's Club any day of the week.