Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The US murder rate is currently at its lowest point in the past 100 years.
    On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning To Kill in War and Society

The good news is that most soldiers are loath to kill. But armies have developed sophisticated ways of overcoming this instinctive aversion. And contemporary civilian society, particularly the media, replicates the army's conditioning techniques, and, according to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's thesis, is responsible for our rising rate of murder among the young.

Upon its initial publication, ON KILLING was hailed as a landmark study of the techniques the military uses to overcome the powerful reluctance to kill, of how killing affects soldiers, and of the societal implications of escalating violence. Now, Grossman has updated this classic work to include information on 21st-century military conflicts, recent trends in crime, suicide bombings, school shootings, and more. The result is a work certain to be relevant and important for decades to come.

Permabanned

Touch my kin and I'll hit you were it'll hurt.
    If not, hope everyone is good.
    If not, my condolences.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

2 deaths, and timing tailored to attract attention rather than multi-kill.

Seems like an amateur job.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForTheEvulz
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I couldn't agree less.

The federal government has been leading the way in developing this cultural disease. The last thing I want is for them to be the only ones with weapons. The federal government can't fix this problem. They can only get out of the way.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." - P. J. O'Rourke describing the federal government in Parliament of Whores

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    If it is "randoms" that are being killed, perhaps we should stop being random people who live in random places.

There was a time when public places weren't filled with random people.
    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    So people gathered at marathons, schools and movie theatres are just randoms? O.o

You people may have a serious case of depersonalization, but it's okay - that's modern living.
    "Randoms" is in contrast to friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, classmates, etc. I don't think the tern was used to dehumanize victims so much as to classify their relation to the killer(s).

For most homicides, the killer and the victim know eachother. The homicide happens because a relationship between two individuals has gone downhill. That relationship could be between coworkers, lovers, family, feuding neighbors, classmates, friends or whatever.

Another common scenario is that someone is killed during the commission of a crime such as robbery, where the murder is the byproduct as opposed to the goal itself.

If you were to do a pie chart of homicides the slice for people randomly murdered by complete strangers would be pretty small.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    What may be more significant than the location is the timing: it was tax day, and on a symbolic local holiday known as 'Patriots Day', which leads me to suspect domestic terrorism more than international terrorism.
    And Boston just was the city with the biggest event on that day?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    And Boston just was the city with the biggest event on that day?
    Boston Marathon is a classic, so as a bomb planter you can count on it to happen. My office colleague ran in the marathon last year, he was doubly shocked to hear that today. :/

Given the rather "slight" nature of the bombs, I would bet on someone who never did such a thing before or maybe even an inside job, by some radical political group who want to keep America in the grip of fear of terrorists. Thats just speculation but compared to 9/11 I'd bet on Al Qiada doing something more big, as stupidly sad as that sounds..
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    2 deaths, and timing tailored to attract attention rather than multi-kill.

Seems like an amateur job.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForTheEvulz
    If the other bombs had gone off, there certainly would have been a far higher number of casualties.

Death toll's up to 3, now.

"Three people were confirmed dead, one of whom was 8-year-old Martin Richard of the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston. His mother and sister suffered grievous injuries after seeing their father crossing the finish line. Many of the victims received lower leg injuries and shrapnel wounds, which indicated the devices were low to the ground.
    Local hospitals reported that they were treating numerous injuries, some of them grievous. Eight hospitals report that they have treated or are treating at least 124 people. Of those, at least 15 are in critical condition. Some witnesses have described victims with injuries from shrapnel. Over 100 were being treated at various facilities.22 of the injured were treated at Massachusetts General Hospital,10 at Boston Children's Hospital, 9 at Tufts New England Medical Center, about 20 at Brigham and Women's Hospital, and 20 at Boston Medical Center. At least 10 of the injured suffered severed limbs."

Considering body parts flew off people, I'm not so apt to say it could be an amateur job, but who knows.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I find myself completely lost for words.

I don't understand it. I don't understand why anyone would do something like this. It's senseless. It's pointless. It's tragic. It's cruel. It destroys lives.

I can't think about it without being wracked with emotions. Fear. Love. Sadness. And I wasn't even there. I can't even begin to imagine what those people are going through.

Why would someone do something like this?

Why?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I really liked what Patton Oswalt said about it:

Boston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    I find myself completely lost for words.

I don't understand it. I don't understand why anyone would do something like this. It's senseless. It's pointless. It's tragic. It's cruel. It destroys lives.

I can't think about it without being wracked with emotions. Fear. Love. Sadness. And I wasn't even there. I can't even begin to imagine what those people are going through.

Why would someone do something like this?

Why?

Because people are willing to do deranged things to maintain control over their sense of reality, & to defend their various personal/social/political/religious beliefs. Humming tunes of their hearts' blinding "truths;" misguided anthems. Same old song.

@Ivy- I love that.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.